• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Capitalism

Point would hold if one person did dishes and another mowed both lawns. More simply, if I hire a local #youth to mow my lawn instead of doing it myself, resource consumption is unchanged but we've got economic growth.

That would be a different argument and a whole new point.

That would be a different argument and a whole new point.

No, it's the same argument and the same point. Growth and sustainability aren't necessarily in conflict because you can get growth by simply converting domestic production to market production with no actual change in resources used. Sustainability is its own (serious) concern.

No, it's the same argument and the same point. Growth and sustainability aren't necessarily in conflict because you can get growth by simply converting domestic production to market production with no actual change in resources used. Sustainability is its own (serious) concern.

Granted, I've had a few beers, but I'm not following your train of thought here. Break it down for me please?

They are connected. Economic growth cannot become only a huge exchange of services. There are limits to that too. As long as growth demands non-renewable energy and physical inputs, it will be connected to sustainability.

Capitalism has flaws but it is hands down the best economic and political system the world has ever seen. It may not be fair for the individual but it is hard and next to impossible to argue that capitalism is not a net benefit for our country and for the world.

Also I will always err on the side of freedom, socially and financially.

Communism is indisputably the most perfect system on paper. This cannot be argued in any rational way.

The problem, I'm afraid, is that people are greedy little cunts and aren't happy to share the spoils no matter how hard they work. Therefore, Communism is a inherently failed ideal that can never be properly executed by humans.
I'd go on, but I want to go grab another beer so I'm going to do that now instead of furthering my point. Bye.

The real question is, does Tuffalo LARP as a "revolutionary" with the bandana over the mouth and the black t-shirt and have standoffs with rednecks looking to crack some commie skulls?

If so, post the YouTube of Bubba in the red hat bumrushing you and the comrades

I'm in a relatively moderate outfit. The Klan didn't show for the only antifa action we've done since I joined (Pelham counter-march in December). They were too busy stabbing each other at their own rally point iirc.

Not a good look for capitalism.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-american-airlines-20170428-story.html

American Airlines on Thursday did something that’s good for its workforce and good for its passengers: It announced healthy pay increases for its pilots and flight attendants, two years ahead of the expiration of their union contracts.

In response, Wall Street absolutely slaughtered American’s stock. The airline’s shares lost more than 8% in value over the ensuing two trading sessions, a loss of about $1.9 billion in market value in 48 hours.

“This is frustrating,” Kevin Crissey, an airlines analyst for Citigroup, bellyached to clients after the announcement. “Labor is being paid first again. Shareholders get leftovers.”

I think moonz posted something to that effect as well.

people focus too much on the stock market

it's just the most easily digestible part of the economy for lay people

Communism is indisputably the most perfect system on paper. This cannot be argued in any rational way.

How did I miss this gem from Mr. Protest??

Note to self... Less time working and more time perusing the Tunnels.

due to nintendo being a bunch of donks and retailers being super greedy and making everyone buy dumb bundles if they want to get a Switch, i'm changing allegiances to Tuffalo's team

Back