• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Caribbean vacation ideas?

WakeUp08

Reaction score
Making a comeback to the boards for trip advice...

Looking to do a Caribbean trip later this year. My online research thus far has yielded an overwhelming number of options. Y'all have any favorite getaway spots or places to avoid?

Has anybody been to the Zoetry resort at Riviera Maya?

Eleuthera...near governors harbor

If you do not like resort vacationing, this is your spot.

Making a comeback to the boards for trip advice...

Looking to do a Caribbean trip later this year. My online research thus far has yielded an overwhelming number of options. Y'all have any favorite getaway spots or places to avoid?

Has anybody been to the Zoetry resort at Riviera Maya?
Did my honeymoon at Zoetry. It's awesome. Not kid friendly if you have kids.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Adults only...

Y'all recommend the all-inclusive route or pick a nice hotel and pay as you go?

If you're looking at Riviera Maya we did our honeymoon at the Royal Playa del Carmen and had an amazing time.

We had a semi private pool off of our room which was a big advantage. I think based on the timing there were a few college/grad school trips going on so the pool got a little rowdy by mid afternoon.

Everything g else was awesome though and we plan on going back in the future.

I've done both, and prefer to do it on my own. But all inclusive has a great rep and lots of traction for a reason. It's the easy button on a fun, relaxed, and high quality vacation for someone who wants zero stress or decision making. I've heard great things from several friends who have been to Excellence resorts.

http://www.excellenceresorts.com/

All inclusive, I believe.

Eleuthera...near governors harbor

If you do not like resort vacationing, this is your spot.

awwww yes, this is where I lived for a few months.

If you're a food snob but want the simplicity of all-inclusive, look at Grand Velas in the Riviera Maya. Pretty much a must to go Grand Class in the adults only section. We've been to the Royal and a few other places in that area and none have been as good. Who knows though, it's been a couple years and things change pretty quickly. I still remember the meals we had at Cocina de Autor and Frida though. Mole venison dish is still the best venison I've ever had.

If you're a food snob but want the simplicity of all-inclusive, look at Grand Velas in the Riviera Maya. Pretty much a must to go Grand Class in the adults only section. We've been to the Royal and a few other places in that area and none have been as good. Who knows though, it's been a couple years and things change pretty quickly. I still remember the meals we had at Cocina de Autor and Frida though. Mole venison dish is still the best venison I've ever had.

Not specific to this post, but this is what irks the shit out of me about those Air B&B commercials that have been running during the NBA playoffs. It says that you should "live" in your vacation destination by making your bed and cooking, to do shit you normally do. Why the fuck would I want to make my bed when I'm on vacation? And why would I want to cook the same stuff that I usually eat? Isn't that the point of getting away to somewhere new, so that you don't have to do the same routine shit you usually do? I'm sure as hell not cooking mole venison in my house or anyone else's.

I thought the food at the Royal was good not great other than the chilaquiles verdes they served on alternating mornings.

Not specific to this post, but this is what irks the shit out of me about those Air B&B commercials that have been running during the NBA playoffs. It says that you should "live" in your vacation destination by making your bed and cooking, to do shit you normally do. Why the fuck would I want to make my bed when I'm on vacation? And why would I want to cook the same stuff that I usually eat? Isn't that the point of getting away to somewhere new, so that you don't have to do the same routine shit you usually do? I'm sure as hell not cooking mole venison in my house or anyone else's.

I just hit a couple of AirBnBs on my recent trip to Italy. Italy was great, you should go. Well, maybe not you specifically, but people should go (not all people). But anyway, we cooked dinner one night and had breakfast most mornings. All other meals were out.

I just hit a couple of AirBnBs on my recent trip to Italy. Italy was great, you should go. Well, maybe not you specifically, but people should go (not all people). But anyway, we cooked dinner one night and had breakfast most mornings. All other meals were out.

Oh, you were in Italy recently? I hadn't heard.

If you're looking at Riviera Maya we did our honeymoon at the Royal Playa del Carmen and had an amazing time.

We had a semi private pool off of our room which was a big advantage. I think based on the timing there were a few college/grad school trips going on so the pool got a little rowdy by mid afternoon.

Everything g else was awesome though and we plan on going back in the future.

I would say if you are going without kids I would recommend Zoetry over this description - sounds much smaller (90 single or double occupancy rooms), no "rowdy" pool, soaking pool outside a lot of the rooms, refreshed bottle of tequila in your room, etc. It is all inclusive, but the food was actually really pretty good - especially the mexican dishes.

The tequila tasting and the cuban cigar classes were awesome (and included) as well.

I should say - it isn't kids not allowed, it just isn't very kid friendly. I think we saw 2 kids the whole time we were there though.

Last edited:

Eh, if I wanted to hang with a bunch of Eye-Tals then I'd just go back to Jersey.

Hi WakeUp08!

Here (and here) are some older threads that might be useful.

Good luck, and definitely stick around - there have been whispers that Sheep is coming back.

Might want to take a look at Aruba. Farther south and west than most of the Caribbean. Never been hit by a hurricane. Run by the Dutch. Easy to fly in and out. Lots to do for a week or so, from outdoors stuff to gambling to beaches to submarine rides...

Back