• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carson

How many "mid-major" players are Top 50?

I think the better questions are: how many Top 50 players play like mid-major players AND how come we seem to end up with all of them?

Last edited:
I think the better question is: how many Top 50 players play like mid-major players AND how come we seem to end up with all of them?

Maybe cuz Dino doesn't have an eye for recruiting talent? Bz woulda never pulled the trigger

via RCSI, Top 25 big men of 2010
(my grading is relative, but the particulars matter much less than the context I'm trying to establish)

Sullinger (OSU) - Elite
T. Harris (TENN) - NBA
Kanter (NBA) - NBA
Thompson (UT) - NBA
T. Jones (UK) - Good
Leslie (NCSU) - Solid
J. Smith (UCLA) - Solid
P. Young (UF) - Solid
T. Mitchell (UNT) - Disappointing (because he just can't get eligible!)
Payne (11) - Solid
Leonard - Solid
Hairston - Disappointing (but deep rotation)
D. Powell - Solid
Lubick - Disappointing (no excuses)
O. White (16) - Solid
Ferguson - Disappointing (no excuses, especially considering competition)
Cothron - Disappointing (couldn't qualify, but not sure it matters)
Pinkston - Disappointing
J. Johnson - Disappointing (but, RS Freshman)
T. Black - Solid
D. Harris - Solid
Desrosiers (23) - Disappointing (no excuses)
Dieng - Solid
Cobbins - Disappointing (no excuses)

From this list, there are more than a few top-25 big men underperforming, but Carson is not, in my opinion, the biggest disappointment in what was a pretty weak year for big men.

That honor goes to Dominique Ferguson, an athletic 6'8 face-up PF who plays in the Sun Belt. Then, I'd consider Nate Lubick, who has no excuse not to be productive on a young Georgetown team with an unproven frontcourt. Pinkston was a McDonald's All-American and is a headcase, in addition to playing like garbage. After these three comes Carson, by my estimation.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm not sure he is our biggest liability.I hate to bad-mouth any Deac but Nikita is absolutely not a Div. 1 talent. Hecan't defend,handle the ball,or shoot. He took three ill-advised shots and air balls a finger roll.He is out of position on rebounds. Love his effort,but we essentially play three on five on offense(neither he or Carson are real threats).Of course, in Carson's case he is just not a center and is forced to play there.

Yeah, if Nikita is really a better option than Carson, we are in worse shape than I thought.

I was disappointed in a few of Carson's plays in particular the other night (airball layup especially), but he also has a nice tough and good hands.

Give Carson a true 5 to make interior passes to, pull some bigger guys off him so he can hit some elbow jumpers... I think his skill set would be far more valuable.

For now we need to have McKie and Nikita making more back door cuts when he gets the ball.

Back