• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carson

The first thing he needs to learn to do to the point of habit is keeping the ball above his head. This alone would double his overall effectiveness IMO

Last edited:
RedSox, please take your medicine and admit that Carson has played super shitty this season. His height is the only thing keeping him on the floor. He has been less than terrible all season, with the exception of one half against Loyola-Marymount where he still only scored 8 points. If the guy can't play against cupcake teams, after a full ACC season under his belt, he doesn't deserve playing time.
What? Where did I say he wasn't playing shitty? I'm just trying to evaluate him objectively. His defense has been generally strong. His physicality is shit. He can't rebound. He's still developing his offensive game in the post (and he's about as raw as he could possibly be in that respect).

In flashes, some of these things waver (he's had stretches where he looks more aggressive offensively), but generally, that's what we're going to get from Desrosiers right now. If you can't see that he at least contributes positively on defense, I don't know what to tell you.

His defense has not been generally strong....have you been watching the same games we were? He gets blocks Ty Walker style, but he got beat so many times today by white boy Cavanaugh.

What? Where did I say he wasn't playing shitty? I'm just trying to evaluate him objectively. His defense has been generally strong. His physicality is shit. He can't rebound. He's still developing his offensive game in the post (and he's about as raw as he could possibly be in that respect).

In flashes, some of these things waver (he's had stretches where he looks more aggressive offensively), but generally, that's what we're going to get from Desrosiers right now. If you can't see that he at least contributes positively on defense, I don't know what to tell you.

Don't use "objectivity" an an excuse to ignore his heretofore suckiness. He's weak as hell, and plays weaker than he is. His contribution is that he's 7ft tall, and makes 2 good passes a game. 2 of those fouls were bullshit, but that's not a good excuse for our starting center to only get 3 rebounds. We've got a good thing going with this team, Carson needs to pull his weight instead of being a weak link.

Don't use "objectivity" an an excuse to ignore his heretofore suckiness. He's weak as hell, and plays weaker than he is. His contribution is that he's 7ft tall, and makes 2 good passes a game. 2 of those fouls were bullshit, but that's not a good excuse for our starting center to only get 3 rebounds. We've got a good thing going with this team, Carson needs to pull his weight instead of being a weak link.
Again, I don't see where I'm ignoring anything. I said his physicality was awful. I said he played an awful game tonight. He's stupidly raw offensively, and he can't rebound. What more do you want me to say? It doesn't mean everything he brings to the table is bad, and it doesn't mean he can't develop going forward.

Obviously, I'm high on the kid, but I'm not stupid enough to argue that he's playing well right now. I just think he's been good defensively (on the season), and that his development will make him an above average player.

I just think he's been good defensively (on the season), and that his development will make him an above average player.
This is not good defense: In our man-to-man, Carson usually winds up near the basket. 4 or 5 times in this game alone, a Dayton player would drive to the basket, and Carson would leave his man on the help side to try and block an already defended shot. After Carson missed his block attempt, his man (Matt Kavanaugh) would get the offensive rebound (6!) and put back. Carson is not a rim protector, his job is to fucking stop his man, and get rebounds. Carson has to trust that Nikita and Mckie can guard a rim run.

TC had 3 more rebounds than Carson tonight. Of course, Carson actually had an assist tonight, which is something that Tony can't claim. It sure would be nice if our "bigs" could rebound, and our starting PG could dish to some open teammates every once in a while.

TC had 3 more rebounds than Carson tonight. Of course, Carson actually had an assist tonight, which is something that Tony can't claim. It sure would be nice if our "bigs" could rebound, and our starting PG could dish to some open teammates every once in a while.

Yeah. Role confusion is a problem on this team.

One problem is no one helps him in the post on D.

If he had another big playing alongside him, he'd do better. But he needs to get stronger.

If he had another big playing alongside him, he'd do better. But he needs to get stronger.

Lack of strength is a bad excuse right now. We've played against short and skinny guys for 3 weeks, and Carson hasn't defended well or rebounded well against them. It's better to get beat honestly 1 on 1, than to make stupid mistakes and beat yourself. Carson is beating himself with a lack of effort and discipline.

1. We haven't faced a taller team yet so as long as everyone is guarding their man, Carson shouldn't need help.

2. We don't have the depth, height, or athleticism to switch on ball defense. We can sag, but that's about it.

It's a motion offense. That doesn't mean that Carson shouldn't get rebounds and Tony should, but the fact that Carson got an assist doesn't mean that there is "role confusion".

Watching the game tonight makes it patently clear that Tony believes he can drive and shoot much better than he actually can. Yes he finished a lot of layups today that he normally doesn't finish, but it really hurt us when push came to shove because he believed that he could have hit the shot that would have tied/potentially won the ballgame for us.

Tony had a great night for us tonight, but the fact that he is shooting as much/more than CJ and Travis are (he was at 27% shot percentage when he is on the court entering the game tonight while CJ and Travis were at 25 and 20 respectively), is a huge problem for us going forward.

Until Tony realizes his limitations the the fact that he doesn't have to drive in and shoot all the time, we will suffer.

I nthe first half, tony hit people for several open shots that were missed. Against NCC he six assists and could have had a couple more if bigs finished layups.

Something that needs to be looked at with this offense is who makes the first pass that leads to the extra pass before the shot.

Wheher it's CJ or Tony maknig that first pass to get the defense out of position is as important as the second pass. Getting the defense moving makes the final pass much easier.

I was high on Carson last season and thought he would become a solid player for us, but it is becoming more obvious by the game that the dude isn't tough enough to succeed.

I wish he would take a long look at himself and realize that he is damn near 7 feet, start acting like it and stop playing so damn soft.

Carson's post defense is probably his biggest strength right now -- however, he still gets lost on defense a lot, and he was outpositioned by Dayton's Hansmule Jr. all night.

On offense, he's just been completely invisible. He doesn't seem to have any clue what to do when he's got the ball around the paint. Far too indecisive and weak around the basket, and he's never really shown flashes, either. Nothing more to say about his rebounding, or lack thereof. He doesn't seem to have that knack for it.

And it's time to completely drop the whole power forward thing. He doesn't have the skillset for that at either end of the court.

Under the heading of "Hope for the Future," let's remember that Kyle Visser was horrible during his first three years (and in his defense, he got very little PT), but emerged his senior year as a stud and is now getting paid to play in Germany.

Biggest difference between Visser and Carson that I see is that Carson has had tons of PT since he got here, maybe too much.

I don't consider him a low post man. In this motion offense it isn't as big a deal but at low post he's really playing out of position for us, particularly on defense. He did struggle a little tonight. The fouls made a difference, and some were crap, but when we have him playing low post defense he's going to be picking up some fouls trying to defend stronger players.

I think overall he's doing alright since he's really playing out of position for us. I want to see him develop a little more confidence in his mid-range shot, though.

It was once said to me that Carson was a "mid-major" player.I now have started to believe that especially after watching him against Ferrum.

Back