• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

I think it just got a reprint since they dropped an expansion right after Christmas.

Just checked Amazon, and definitely didn’t get a reprint. Definitely needs one.

first attempt to buy was via Amazon at the retail rate

order got lost or "got lost" and never came

checked again and it was all third-party vendors selling at 100% markup

sold out at my local game store, but that was on me waiting too late to buy

first attempt to buy was via Amazon at the retail rate

order got lost or "got lost" and never came

checked again and it was all third-party vendors selling at 100% markup

sold out at my local game store, but that was on me waiting too late to buy

Online retailers are all about “losing” those orders when demand rises like that. Assholes.

Got Ticket to Ride First Journey which has been a hit for my kiddos. Never played the full version.

Got Ticket to Ride First Journey which has been a hit for my kiddos. Never played the full version.

It’s good. I have no experience with First Journey, but the main game isn’t too hard. It takes a while, so I don’t know about their attention span. How old is birdie now? She might be into it.

What are your favorites in this category?

Quick Setup and Play
7 Wonders Duel
Jaipur
Carcassonne
Bananagrams
Patchwork (need more play to be sure)

Longer Setup/Play, but good for 2 players
Wingspan
Ticket to Ride
Codenames Duet

Fine with 2P, better with more people
Qwirkle
Sushi Go

IMO, 7 Wonders Duel, Jaipur, and Carcassonne are a cut above the others. If you are just getting one or two, I would go with that list.

What are your favorites in this category?

For 2 (on the light to medium-light side), I like Patchwork, Imhotep Duel, Santorini, Jaipur, Lost Cities, Battleline, Kingdomino/Kingdomino Duel, Star Realms, Targi, and Raptor.

For 2 (on the light to medium-light side), I like Patchwork, Imhotep Duel, Santorini, Jaipur, Lost Cities, Battleline, Kingdomino/Kingdomino Duel, Star Realms, Targi, and Raptor.

How did I forget Santorini? That game is fantastic.

Wife and I got a ton of new games for Christmas. Haven’t had time to play many of them yet. Played Patchwork yesterday. Simple little game which is a quick learn and play. With a 15 month old, we are all about 2 player games that are easy to play after little man goes down.

I guess nobody bit on this because it's the board game thread. The best 2 player games are much easier to play when the kids are little.

Started Vilanous - Evil Comes Prepared last night and have enjoyed it so far.

I got Takaido and Azul for Christmas... I've played Takaido before, and it's a lot of fun, not too hard to learn. Definitely happy to have my own copy. I've never played Azul, but it's supposed to be cool. It looks simple enough I guess?

Also really been digging Ticket to Ride Europe. It's obviously similar to the base game, but the map seems better suited for strategy and the two key mechanics it introduces (tunnels + stations) add a lot.

Played a few rounds of 7 Wonders Duel on NYE and really enjoyed it. Think this is the first time I've had the foresight to watch gameplay/rules videos before jumping in and it helped a ton.

Have Jaipur, Sherlock Holmes, and Arkham Horror the card game on deck though am a little worried about the jump up in complexity for Sherlock and Arkham.

Also did Exit: The Sunken Treasure which is essentially an escape room in a box. Fun but obviously no replay value and you end up writing on/tearing things so can't give away either.

What do people think about Pandemic? Would it be good for teens?

Pandemic is good for teens, and overall, is a pretty good gateway game. Since it is a cooperative game, players get to talk through their decisions with the other players, and cooperative games also take away the dread of losing, especially for competition averse people.

Played a few rounds of 7 Wonders Duel on NYE and really enjoyed it. Think this is the first time I've had the foresight to watch gameplay/rules videos before jumping in and it helped a ton.

Have Jaipur, Sherlock Holmes, and Arkham Horror the card game on deck though am a little worried about the jump up in complexity for Sherlock and Arkham.

Also did Exit: The Sunken Treasure which is essentially an escape room in a box. Fun but obviously no replay value and you end up writing on/tearing things so can't give away either.

Rules videos help me tremendously when playing a new game, especially since I'm the one that ends up having to teach games to people I play with. "Rahdo runs through" is my favorite video series for this.

He doesn’t make them anymore, but Will Weaton’s Tabletop on YouTube is great for explanation and play through. Geek and Sundry still does gameplay with high production value.

Pandemic is good for teens, and overall, is a pretty good gateway game. Since it is a cooperative game, players get to talk through their decisions with the other players, and cooperative games also take away the dread of losing, especially for competition averse people.

Anyone played Pandemic Legacy? I don’t own any legacy games, but people rave about both seasons.

Anyone played Pandemic Legacy? I don’t own any legacy games, but people rave about both seasons.

I’ve heard people claim Pandemic Legacy is the greatest game made. I have a friend who loves it. I think he played it all the way through.

Back