• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

I'm about to head out on a guys ski trip and I'm looking for a game for 4-8 players that we could all learn over the course of a day or two and play 2 or 3 times. So nothing too crazy complicated and preferably not over about 2 hours long, or in that range. Any suggestions? It could also be far quicker as long as it's fun.

Splendor seems like it may work, but will listen to any recommendations. It kind of reminds me of Star Realms. Since those two are already out there, maybe something actually board focussed.

Last edited:
I'm about to head out on a guys ski trip and I'm looking for a game for 4-8 players that we could all learn over the course of a day or two and play 2 or 3 times. So nothing too crazy complicated and preferably not over about 2 hours long, or in that range. Any suggestions? It could also be far quicker as long as it's fun.

Splendor seems like it may work, but will listen to any recommendations. It kind of reminds me of Star Realms. Since those two are already out there, maybe something actually board focussed.
8 is a tough number for anything other than party games.

Between Two Cities (7 max)
Camel Up (7 max)
7 Wonders (7 max)
King of Tokyo (6 max)
One Night One Werewolf (8+) - more of a party game
Medici (6 max)
Heat: Pedal to the Metal (6 max)

I can second SD3 on Diplomacy. The social aspect of the game and negotiations get really fun once everyone has a few drinks in them.

I would consider 7 Wonders over Splendor if you're interested in this style of game. Splendor is a really solid game. Very easy to pick up the fundamentals after one game and the re-playability is very good. The only downside in your case is that I find it most enjoyable with 3 players. You can get up to 7 people playing 7 Wonders, but the sweet spot is probably 4 or 5, so it might be a better choice for a group of your size.

Ticket to Ride Europe is the best version of the game if you want to get 4-5 people playing at the same time, so this might be another one worth considering.

Pretty sure Splendor caps out at 4, but it is one of my all-time favorite games.

7 Wonders is in this sweet spot, and probably the way to go.

Cartographers is supposed to play up to an infinite number of players, but I've never tried it at more than 4-5. It's pretty great.

If you want something much quicker and lighter, Point Salad is very fun, super easy to learn, hits the table fast, and plays quickly.

Don't play Diplomacy unless you want to skip the skiing part of your trip.

I agree that 8 people is essentially party game territory. I'd suggest:

Phantom Ink
Just One
Fuji Flush
and +1 for One Night Werewolf

None of those are complicated, can play 8, and can be replayed over the weekend.

What do you end up doing? Truth or dare?

New games we tried over Spring Break:

Expressions - Cooperative card game. Reminded me of Hannabi and trick-taking card games.

Dixit - Classic board game.

Sides - Cooperative word game. I'd describe it as a more casual version of Letter Jam. I liked the rotating teams/guessers mechanic.

Smug Owls - create the best answer to auto-generated riddles. Of course you want to pander to this round's judge.

Project L - Tetris/blokus type abstract game.

Timeline Twist - the card game variant of the Timeline boardgame. It would be an interesting game to bring to a bar or brewery.

Boop - Cute cat-themed Go/Othello/Checkers hybrid.

Slamwich - classic, Egyptian ratescrew game.

Back