• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

Love Letter is a classic. A similar game that I'd also recommend is Citadels.

we had some friends over and played Modern Art last night and it went over really well. will definitely be bringing that back out soon

also Skull, but I always love me some Skull. great easy warm-up game to break into the night

We played some Skull (and Citadels) over the rainy weekend. Some other new entries for us,

Subastral - card drafting and collecting game with a neat ecological theme (and beautiful artwork)
For the King and Me (formerly Biblios) - Really liked this one. There's drafting, delegating, and auctioning of various cards and resources. It reminded me of a slightly more complex For Sale.
Trekking Through History - Lightweight family game, where you explore dozens (hundreds?) of historical events which are all documented on individual, draftable cards. Awesome artwork and synopses of historical events.

Finally got Viticulture to the table within the last week. Excellent game. Sounds like the Tuscany expansion is a must?

Also, my almost 5 year old is really into games right now and it's a blast. He can fly solo in Ticket to Ride: First Journey and we tried a little Jaipur yesterday which I think he can pick up.

If anyone is a 7 Wonders fan, we played Architects this week too. It sets up and plays so fast. While it lacks almost all the depth and decision points of 7 Wonders or Duel, sometimes you need that. It's also recommended for 8+, but I think it could easily play younger than that.

Cat in the Box (Schrödinger's cat themed trick-taking card game). All the cards are numbered, but suitless. Players declare the suit of their card when its played, and the games end with paradoxes when someone is unable to play. Very fun, very cool theme.
having a lot of fun with this one this week

My friends are really into board games and I play with them once a week. Some recent favorites that I haven't seen mentioned here but may have missed are:

It's a Wonderful World
Teotihuacan: City of Gods
Whistle Mountain
Lost Ruins of Arnak
Azul

Finally should be getting Envelopes of Cash in the next month or so.

Kickstarted it over a year ago and they hit some hiccups in the production process.

Combines my love of college athletics and board games.

Played some Cascadia, Point Salad, Exploding Kittens, Unstable Unicorns, Sprawlopolis at the beach a few weeks ago.

I also busted out Under Falling Skies and did the first couple of campaigns last weekend. Really solid solo game.

I really need to buckle down and (re)learn how to play Race For The Galaxy. I know it's an excellent game, and we've had it for like 2 years. Played a couple of times with @HailToTheDeacons on BGA, but for some reason the rules don't stick with me well and I'm terrible at explaining games to other people.

Added 2 new games to the collection this week:

Deduckto - a card based deduction game for players 8+. A mix of clue and guess-who in one. Really fun, but younger players (my kids are 6/7) might struggle with the concept.

Kluster - this game is a riot. 1-4 players, suitable for just about all ages. This game uses magnets and a string and you have to place the magnets within the string outline; first play to dump them all wins. However, if you cause a "cluster" you have to pick up everything that joined together. Easy to pick up, plays really fast. I like this one a lot.

Finally should be getting Envelopes of Cash in the next month or so.

Kickstarted it over a year ago and they hit some hiccups in the production process.

Combines my love of college athletics and board games.

Played some Cascadia, Point Salad, Exploding Kittens, Unstable Unicorns, Sprawlopolis at the beach a few weeks ago.

I also busted out Under Falling Skies and did the first couple of campaigns last weekend. Really solid solo game.

Finally got this delivered last week.

Gonna bust it out this weekend hopefully.

My family plays a lot around the Holidays. We finished 2023 with these games:

Camel Up
Port Royal
Qwinto
Turing Machine
The Crew: Mission Deep Sea
Phantom Ink
Trekking Through History
Letter Jam
Karuba
Green Team Wins
So Clover
Just One
Debatable
Llama
Durian
Illusion
Castles of Burgundy
Pictures
Fake Artist in New York

Green Team Wins is basically small-scale Sheep. Durian is a fun, simple deduction & bluffing game. I played Turing Machine the most (solo, cooperative, and competitive) and its a phenomenal feat of gaming construction.

May all your gaming dreams come true in 2024!

Last edited:
Dialed back our game consumption this year to only add one new game. This year was wavelength, which is a pretty solid.

Last edited:
With my 4 month old being the [Redacted] of sleeping after a nauseous 9 months in the womb, my shelf of shame has really grown over the last year. Definitely played some dope games with my 5 year old though. Added Quacks & Co, Mysterium Kids, and Sheep Hop this Christmas.

We have racked up the games this holiday season. Haven’t played any of them yet except Hues & Cues which is a fun party game.

In addition to that, we got:
  • everdell
  • raccoon tycoon
  • code names duet
  • rack-o

We've got Everdell - pretty fun resource management game.

I bought Tapple on a whim when we were out shopping before Christmas. Fun party game, but can be played with two people as well. Super easy to set up and teach to basically anybody.

We've played a lot of Clue, Spot It, and Mexican Train Dominos over the break.

Hopped on BGA last night and played Castles of Burgundy and Turing Machine with HTTD.

Castles of Burgundy and Viticulture are two of the more fun games I've played in the last bit. Really good engine building games that play quite differently.

Back