• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catan, Carcassonne and Candy Land (Pit Board Game Thread)

the nice thing about watching a youtube video is that you don't have to listen to one of your friends half-assedly explain how to play a game; instead you get someone who has thought about how to present this in advance.
THE RULES GIRL FTMFW

Can someone teach me War of the Ring

Thanks I am now an expert

I've never really gotten into Euro-style games, although I think I would probably enjoy them. I used to like Risk back in the day.

In terms of social games I prefer Cards Against Humanity, Telestrations, and Scattergories. Also like Taboo and Pass the Pigs.

One of my friends from home started his own game creation company and has had a couple of successful Kickstarter campaigns.

http://stonemaiergames.com/

Viticulture, Tuscany, and Euphoria are his games.

He also has a blog post about his favorite games of 2014:

http://jameystegmaier.com/2015/01/my-favorite-board-games-of-2014/

Just saw this post from the first page.

That is a titan in the board game industry - insane!

I own Wingspan and Scythe and enjoy them both immensely. Viticulture is highly acclaimed although I've never played it.

If he ever wants game testers then I am down to assist!

Busted out the two player Agricola this weekend and played a few. I enjoyed it more than I remembered. If you've played Agricola it's basically a trimmed down version. No feeding animals/people in the house. Will probably keep it in the rotation.

as someone who kinda likes birds and kinda likes games, I gotta admit that Wingspan doesn't grab me as a must-have game

looking to be convinced

I'd say hop on BoardGamesArena and try it out a couple of times. It's a easy/mid weight game that I love.

Just saw this post from the first page.

That is a titan in the board game industry - insane!

I own Wingspan and Scythe and enjoy them both immensely. Viticulture is highly acclaimed although I've never played it.

If he ever wants game testers then I am down to assist!

Busted out the two player Agricola this weekend and played a few. I enjoyed it more than I remembered. If you've played Agricola it's basically a trimmed down version. No feeding animals/people in the house. Will probably keep it in the rotation.
Viticulture is great - you should check it out. My favorite worker placement game.

as someone who kinda likes birds and kinda likes games, I gotta admit that Wingspan doesn't grab me as a must-have game

looking to be convinced
It’s hard to get it to the table. That’s certainly a limitation. I love the game as does Mrs. DF07, but it stays on the shelf many nights because it’s not the easiest set up and play time commitment.

We got Clank to the table yesterday. A good dungeon crawler card management game (think Dominion), where your goal is to purchase cards to get you through a dungeon before the dragon eats you. It's a "push your luck" style game that isn't too hard to pick up once you understand the mechanics. Would probably be fun with more than 2 people as well.

Agree that Wingspan can be a bit daunting to get set up. We will usually set the game up the night before we plan on playing so we can jump right in if we want to play a game. This is especially useful since our child naps in 20 minute increments. Wingspan on BGA is awesome for that reason.

We got Clank to the table yesterday. A good dungeon crawler card management game (think Dominion), where your goal is to purchase cards to get you through a dungeon before the dragon eats you. It's a "push your luck" style game that isn't too hard to pick up once you understand the mechanics. Would probably be fun with more than 2 people as well.

Agree that Wingspan can be a bit daunting to get set up. We will usually set the game up the night before we plan on playing so we can jump right in if we want to play a game. This is especially useful since our child naps in 20 minute increments. Wingspan on BGA is awesome for that reason.
We enjoy Clank a lot.

Have one game left in our legacy version which has been a lot of fun even with just two people.

Introduced Catan, Pandemic, and The Crew to my 8yo this weekend. Then we played all three with my Dad for some inter-generational gaming. It was a really great, memorable time.

Our family's 2023 Spring Break play-list:

The Crew
Dead Man's Chest
Scout
Qwinto
Wingspan
Pictures
Songbirds
Galaxy Truckers
So Clover

Bought Exploding Kittens as a last minute thing for 9yo daughter's Easter basket... Had been wanting to try it for a while, but never pulled the trigger.

Well, we've been playing non-stop for the last 3 days and both the 9yo and 6yo love it.

6yo has won the last 5 games in a row. I had been worried that she wouldn't understand it, but she is kicking our asses.

Broke out Love Letter: Princess, Princess Ever After edition over Spring break. Not super familiar with the original love letter game, but this is a quick strategy/deduction game that we really enjoy. Great for the family.

Back