• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Catholic U Violates Muslims' Human Rights

RaleighDevil

Reaction score
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarne...c-school-to-provide-room-without-crosses.html

The Washington, D.C. Office of Human Rights confirmed that it is investigating allegations that Catholic University violated the human rights of Muslim students by not allowing them to form a Muslim student group and by not providing them rooms without Christian symbols for their daily prayers. ...

The complaint was filed by John Banzhaf, an attorney and professor at George Washington University Law School. Banzhaf has been involved in previous litigation against the school involving the same-sex residence halls. He also alleged in his complaint involving Muslim students that women at the university were being discriminated against. ...

Banzhaf said some Muslim students were particularly offended because they had to meditate in the school’s chapels “and at the cathedral that looms over the entire campus – the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.” ...

“It may not be illegal, but it suggests they are acting improperly and probably with malice,” he said. “They do have to pray five times a day, they have to look around for empty classrooms and to be sitting there trying to do Muslim prayers with a big cross looking down or a picture of Jesus or a picture of the Pope is not very conductive to their religion.”

“It shouldn’t be too difficult somewhere on the campus for the university to set aside a small room where Muslims can pray without having to stare up and be looked down upon by a cross of Jesus,” he told Fox News. ...

Patrick Reilly, the president of the Cardinal Newman Society, an organization that promotes Catholic identity among Catholic schools, seemed stunned by the complaint.

“I don’t know what the attorney wants them to do – if he wants them to actually move the Basilica or if the Muslim students can find someplace where they don’t have to look at it,” he told Fox News.

Catholic University, he said, is a Catholic institution.

“One wouldn’t expect a Jewish institution to be responsible for providing liturgical opportunities for other faiths and I wouldn’t expect a Catholic institution to do that,” he said.

“This attorney is really turning civil rights on its head,” he said. “He’s using the law for his own discrimination against the Catholic institution and essentially saying Catholic University cannot operate according to Catholic principles.”

This is sounds like a perfect Red Herring for Fox News to jump all over. There is no reason for a private Catholic university to be forced to provide an area for Muslims to pray or to have to remove crosses. That is just stupid.

what the hell is catholic university? notre dame?

Those Muslim students should go see how Islamic universities treat Catholic students. Oh yeah- there aren't any because there are no non-Muslims at Islamic universities.

Still, what the fuck do members of one religious system think they're going to get when they go to another religion's schools? Fucking morons.

WTF? Why are Muslims going to Catholic University in the first place? I mean, really?

That lawyer should have his office firebombed for being a douche.

Those Muslim students should go see how Islamic universities treat Catholic students. Oh yeah- there aren't any because there are no non-Muslims at Islamic universities.

Still, what the fuck do members of one religious system think they're going to get when they go to another religion's schools? Fucking morons.

pos rep

I have no idea why a Muslim would go to Catholic U. That said, I have no idea why a Jew would go to Catholic U, but it apparently has been alleged that Catholic U. has an organization for Jewish students. If they have one for Jews, I'm having a hard time seeing how they shouldn't for Muslims.

http://www.pr-inside.com/catholic-u-president-must-answer-charges-r2878132.htm

That said, I have no idea why anyone would go to Catholic U.

Yeah, you shouldn't have double-standards but I wonder if anything in the law requires them to be equally open to all groups.

Then again, we are talking about an official institution of a church which institutionalized child abuse so their concepts of equity are established as being fucked up.

Interesting article:

http://www.cuatower.com/news/2011/10/20/university-accused-of-discriminating-against-muslims/

As the number of Arabs has drastically increased over the past year, Al Salmi began this organization as a way to encourage American and Arab students to comfortably interact with one another. She found that Arab and American students have a difficult time befriending each other because people naturally gravitate towards others with similar backgrounds and interests. Although not limited to Muslim students, the Arab American Association has many Muslim members.

“The ideal mission of this student organization shall be bridging two cultures by developing a community that understands the Arabic culture, discusses cultural issues, eliminates stereotypes, and establishes a student association that will carry on in the future within CUA,” said Al Salmi.

With the number of Arab students increasing at CUA, the number of Muslim students has also grown. According to the Planning, Institutional Research, Student Learning Outcomes Assessment of CUA, in the fall of 2007, there were a total of 56 Muslim undergraduate, graduate and law students on campus. That number has more than doubled as of fall 2011, as 122 Muslim students are currently members of the CUA community.

“An important reason [that Muslims are gravitating towards Catholic universities] is that the Muslim students, especially those who are observant, feel comfortable and safe at the institution,” said President Garvey in an interview with NPR in December of 2010. “It’s a place where their own faith practices are mirrored by our own. And they feel both welcome and understood at the campus.”

“Even though it’s a Catholic school, a lot of its teachings are very similar to Islam,” said Al Salmi. “It teaches respect, community service, love, worship etc. which are things that Islam also teaches.”

Let's not forget: Know your enemy.

I mean, after all- where did the 9/11 pilots learn their craft? Rightcheer in the good ol' US of damn A.

I went to a Catholic high school and we provided out Muslim student with a place to pray but he was good at football.

That article makes sense Shoo. Obsevrant Catholics and Muslims don't vary that much when it comes to acceptable social behavior.

Let's not forget: Know your enemy.

I mean, after all- where did the 9/11 pilots learn their craft? Rightcheer in the good ol' US of damn A.

If this were Pilot U. I might be a little concerned. What are they going to learn at Catholic U. that is potentially harmful other than kid-fondling and Catholicism?

I have no idea why a Muslim would go to Catholic U. That said, I have no idea why a Jew would go to Catholic U, but it apparently has been alleged that Catholic U. has an organization for Jewish students. If they have one for Jews, I'm having a hard time seeing how they shouldn't for Muslims.

http://www.pr-inside.com/catholic-u-president-must-answer-charges-r2878132.htm

That said, I have no idea why anyone would go to Catholic U.

Are they telling them they can't form an organization or are they saying they won't remove crosses and pictures of the Pope from classrooms so they can pray? But like others have said, why the f are you going there if you're Jewish or Muslim? It's not like it's some Ivy League school you need to attend to get a good job. There are a ton of schools with similar academics where you won't have this problem.

Because Jesus was a Jew?

The summer after my Freshman year at Wake I worked in DC and we went out to bars most every night. I quickly learned that girls from Catholic were easy (or at least considerably easier than the girls from GW and AU).

The summer after my Freshman year at Wake I worked in DC and we went out to bars most every night. I quickly learned that girls from Catholic were easy (or at least considerably easier than the girls from GW and AU).

You'd think GW girls would be itching for some straight men.

Back