• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Caviar

Why hasn't he just gotten caviar himself or is this really just a euphemism for a BJ?

I had caviar one time and it was super salty. No chance the good stuff is worth what it costs.

Felt like plama posting that.

I married a Russian, so I think that makes me the board's expert on caviar.

I know of black caviar and orange/red caviar. The orange/red caviar is cheaper and much saltier. I prefer the black kind. My Russian family serves both kinds on top of a buttered piece of toast.

I have no idea where to get it in NC. Are there any Russian grocery stores in the triad?

Give George Streblow a call at Seafood Products in Winston-Salem. He's an old Wake guy - who was among the best known people on campus when he went to Wake. He's the owner, and I'm sure he can either help you, or direct you to someone who can.

When I think delicacies I think aborted fish eggs. It's north carolina save the money, put some capers in a tin, and call it a day.

Give George Streblow a call at Seafood Products in Winston-Salem. He's an old Wake guy - who was among the best known people on campus when he went to Wake. He's the owner, and I'm sure he can either help you, or direct you to someone who can.

This is the correct answer. I doubt George will have anything other than American Caviars (he hasn't in quite a few years), but these will be fine for someone to try (paddlefish and hackleback are both decent). If you want osetra or sevruga (beluga can't be imported into the US at this time) you will probably need to try a mail order place (Marky's, 911 Caviar, or Caviar Russe are all good options). If you need nicer caviar sooner than about Wednesday of this week, you might be able to get some at Dean & Deluca in Charlotte (it will be overpriced), but I would certainly call them first, especially with New Years Eve coming up, as they may be sold out.

Thanks everyone! I am headed to whole foods tomorrow. They have several that were mentioned in this thread, including the one from NC.

As to those asking why, it just been something he wants to try. He mentions it on occasion but always at his birthday. He loves food and wine and sees it a lot in Food and Wine.

Perhaps it will become his favorite thing and he will become a caviar connoisseur, spending thousands of bucks a year on the very finest from around the world.

Back