• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I'm listening to a podcast discussion with a Disney insider about the Star Wars Land rumors. Interesting stuff.

Apparently George Lucas had beef with Disney going back several years from a trip to the Studios. He went to the Indiana Jones attraction and several of the effects weren't working. Things got patched up by new Disney leadership and he decided to sell so his kids wouldn't have to deal with the headaches he's had with the fans since Phantom Menace.

Disney had been hesitant to build a Star Wars Land because the Star Tours update didn't generate much of a bump in attendance and neither did New Fantasyland. That's not surprising, because neither are "must do" attractions at the parks. Meanwhile, they've seen Potter generate a 30%+ bump at Universal. The Disney brass finally realized that Potter works because it's the only place in the world someone can have that experience. Now they realize they need to do something similar to Potter with the Star Wars brand.

I'll add more if it's interesting.

If you're familiar with the park, the most likely plan is to take out the left side of the park when you come in all the way over to Star Tours, and get rid of Indiana Jones. The idea is that people see it immediately instead of having to wait to go to the back of the park where Star Tours is now.

The big ride is going to be speeder bikes on Endor in which 50 people can race against each other at a time. It used to be the idea for a Tron: Legacy ride, then a Wreck-It-Ralph Sugar Rush ride.

The kiddie ride is going to be an X-Wing ride like Dumbo.

Last edited:
I'm listening to podcast discussion with a Disney insider about the Star Wars Land rumors. Interesting stuff.

Apparently George Lucas had beef with Disney going back several years from a trip to the Studios. He went to the Indiana Jones attraction and several of the effects weren't working. Things got patched up by new Disney leadership and he decided to sell so his kids wouldn't have to deal with the headaches he's had with the fans since Phantom Menace.

Disney had been hesitant to build a Star Wars Land because the Star Tours update didn't generate much of a bump in attendance and neither did New Fantasyland. That's not surprising, because neither are "must do" attractions at the parks. Meanwhile, they've seen Potter generate a 30%+ bump at Universal. The Disney brass finally realized that Potter works because it's the only place in the world someone can have that experience. Now they realize they need to do something similar to Potter with the Star Wars brand.

I'll add more if it's interesting.

I think there is some hubris with Disney's front office admitting what a great job Universal did with HP. The exclusivity is a huge factor, but it's also really, really well done.

Slightly off topic, but anyone thinking about seeing Pacific Rim? It's getting decent review and Del Toro tends to deliver. Plus I have a soft spot for giant monsters.

I think there is some hubris with Disney's front office admitting what a great job Universal did with HP. The exclusivity is a huge factor, but it's also really, really well done.

Yeah. I still haven't been to Universal to see it yet. Still, I know Disney can't match it. I think they've been hesitant to play the game, but their big moves have failed to provide a big bump.

Yeah. I still haven't been to Universal to see it yet. Still, I know Disney can't match it. I think they've been hesitant to play the game, but their big moves have failed to provide a big bump.

If they did a Star Wars area that was as involved as HP, there absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that it would take off.

And you really need to check it out. Even if you haven't read the books. Catch a few of the movies, and go check it out. It's pretty apparent why it's awesome to people who care about that world.

If they did a Star Wars area that was as involved as HP, there absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that it would take off.

And you really need to check it out. Even if you haven't read the books. Catch a few of the movies, and go check it out. It's pretty apparent why it's awesome to people who care about that world.

Oh I've watched all the movies except the last 3. Kids have cut off my timing here. No point in taking a 1 and 4 year old to Universal. We'll probably do Universal a few years down the road. Right now, we're Disney World/Sea World. We'll transition to Universal/Busch Gardens at some point.

Some more info, apparently there's no way the Streets of America get bulldozed because of the Osborne lights at Christmas and it's popularity for after hours private parties. That sucks because the Streets of America is a waste of space for 10 months out of the year.

The question about Star Wars is whether to do old Star Wars or base it on the new franchise. Star Wars will come before the Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom.

I'd be cised about being in the Death Star but I can't think of another specific location from the movies that's particularly theme park worthy. Cloud City? Endor Ewok village?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I'd be cised about being in the Death Star but I can't think of another specific location from the movies that's particularly theme park worthy.

That's the part that I'm curious about. And that's why they may make it more geared toward their new movies. How do they bring several different planets to a theme park? That's different than bringing a single street like Cars Land or pavilions representative of different countries in Epcot.

Is it significant that they posed Vin Diesel in front of Avengers issue #2? Could Diesel be playing Space Phantom in Avengers 2? I assume they would update the Space Phantom's look dramatically, but the story would have real possibility. Basically Space Phantom switches places with each member of the team sending that member into limbo as he impersonates them.

This is the story that caused Hulk to quit the team after he released none of his team mates trusted him.

I've heard that the Avengers 2 storyline would deal with the difficulty of the team staying together so this story fits with that rumor.

It also would allow Limbo (a realm where time stands still) to be introduced which features heavily in lots of Avengers storylines. Down the line that would allow them to introduce the villain Immortus.

Last edited:
Oh I've watched all the movies except the last 3. Kids have cut off my timing here. No point in taking a 1 and 4 year old to Universal. We'll probably do Universal a few years down the road. Right now, we're Disney World/Sea World. We'll transition to Universal/Busch Gardens at some point.

Some more info, apparently there's no way the Streets of America get bulldozed because of the Osborne lights at Christmas and it's popularity for after hours private parties. That sucks because the Streets of America is a waste of space for 10 months out of the year.

The question about Star Wars is whether to do old Star Wars or base it on the new franchise. Star Wars will come before the Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom.

I would think you could seamlessly do both.

Your kids are a little young for Universal, I would think with your FL residency, you could do their park hopper on an offseason day and find plenty for them to be into. The Dr. Seuss stuff is pretty great too.

There is a lot not to like about living in FL, but being a kid there has to be pretty awesome. Vacationing in Orlando is expensive, but day tripping on season passes is next to nothing relatively speaking.

I'd be cised about being in the Death Star but I can't think of another specific location from the movies that's particularly theme park worthy. Cloud City? Endor Ewok village?

Having lunch in the Mos Eisley Cantina? A massive walk-through Milennium Falcon dark ride? Water ride through the swamps of Dagobah?

Having lunch in the Mos Eisley Cantina? A massive walk-through Milennium Falcon dark ride? Water ride through the swamps of Dagobah?

I think there are many elements from Star Wars that would make great attractions, specifically rides. The problem is trying to create a seamless world encompassing all those attractions. The Harry Potter franchise is full of easily replicable minutia (Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, Ollivanders Wand Shop) that really make the park memorable and unique. I just don't think that you could make a similar park with the Star Wars franchise. Continuing on this note, A psuedo-underground/dark Gringotts Bank mining cart ride would be money.

I think there are many elements from Star Wars that would make great attractions, specifically rides. The problem is trying to create a seamless world encompassing all those attractions. The Harry Potter franchise is full of easily replicable minutia (Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, Ollivanders Wand Shop) that really make the park memorable and unique. I just don't think that you could make a similar park with the Star Wars franchise. Continuing on this note, A psuedo-underground/dark Gringotts Bank mining cart ride would be money.

Good point. I'm not as familiar with the Clone Wars, but I would think that there is some ground there.

Facebook photo posted by Vin Diesel's people:
VinDieselTheAvengerscoverarticlecropLS.jpg

Dear God...please don't make Vin Diesel Pym.

I heard they're using Lang.

Pym is one of the three smartest heroes in Marvel. I can't see them casting him for that role.

Others have suggested that he may play the Vision but unless they are planning to alter dramatically from the comics I can't see them being able to bring in the Vision until Avengers 4 at the earliest. You have to introduce Pym, Pym has to create Ultron, Ultron has to create the Vision, the Vision has to turn on his Ultron and the n join the Avengers.

Back