• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I thought the stinger was funny, and way out of left field, but in a good way.

Best movie I've seen this year. Again, Marvel just casts so, so well and these people knocked it out of the park. Everything you could want...action, humor, heart...it's there. This would be a good movie even without its connections to the larger Marvel Universe. The fact that we may someday see these characters along side the Avengers just makes it that much more exciting. Nobody here should be disappointed.

I'm looking forward to when we can discuss with spoilers.

Same here. I'll add the spoilers tag tomorrow night.

Weekend box office projections are near $40M tonight and $100M for the weekend. Amazing.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/box...xpected-to-rock-et-the-down-low-on-get-on-up/

Great movie. Great performances by a deep cast. Chris Pratt is going to be a star. The reviews that called Star Lord a modern day Han Solo were right. Wow. Bautista was really good. Wasn't expecting that much depth to his character. You wouldn't know Bradley Cooper was Rocket just based on the performance. If there is any Academy/Golden Globe type award for voice acting, he should win it. Just a fantastic performance with a lot of range. All the villains were good as well. I enjoyed them more than I've enjoyed most Marvel villains aside from Loki.

Good action. Great dialogue. Easily the most quotable Marvel Studios movie. So many contenders for best one-liners in Marvel Studios. Probably the most rewatchable Marvel Studios film. I could watch it every day like my kids watch the same movies over and over again. I was concerned that the music would be corny but it was used really well.

I continue to be amazed at what Marvel has done. I started this thread three years ago and my first few posts were expressing doubt that Thor would be any good. Tonight, I just got home from watching a movie about a superhero team I had barely heard of at that time that may be the best Marvel Studios movie of them all. Just amazing work.

Of course, one of the best things about this movie is that Pratt's weight loss led to this hilarious line on Parks & Rec.

Here's a side discussion until we do spoilers. Rank the Marvel Studios movies.

The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Iron Man 3
Captain America: The First Avenger

Thor
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World
The Incredible Hulk

Another thought about the movie. Disney has made it harder for themselves to do Star Wars. This review says it well:
Screw Star Wars, We Have Guardians of the Galaxy!
http://the-lfb.com/2014/08/01/screw-star-wars-we-have-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

OK, I have your attention. Now let me explain when I say “Screw Star Wars”, I’m not dissing the original trilogy, which are all good and in Empire‘s case great movies. I’m not even dissing the upcoming movies, which I haven’t seen and from what little we know about them actually sound like they might be good. But after watching Guardians of the Galaxy, I’m left wondering why Disney has to make new Star Wars movies at all. I mean, yeah, money, but they were already making Guardians of the Galaxy, which takes everything great about the Star Wars movies while adding its own fresh flavor and likely much forcing any new Star Wars movie to suffer in comparison.

Last edited:
Kudos to Tejas btw who called the GotG being awesome the second Thanos appeared on screen in the Avengers.

Not comic book movie, but finally got around to seeing Primer.

My brain hurts.

It's interesting that you bring up Star Wars, Ph. While I was sitting in the theater I kept thinking that Guardians is as close to capturing what the original Star Wars was as I've ever seen. Pulling off a space opera without it being cheesy is probably as difficult as it gets in cinema. Gunn and Marvel really did set a new bar for the genre, I think.

It's interesting that you bring up Star Wars, Ph. While I was sitting in the theater I kept thinking that Guardians is as close to capturing what the original Star Wars was as I've ever seen. Pulling off a space opera without it being cheesy is probably as difficult as it gets in cinema. Gunn and Marvel really did set a new bar for the genre, I think.

I said the same thing when I walked out of the theater. I also agree that I could easily go see this movie again and probably will since I was on the front row of the theater. I would recommend showing up 45 minutes to an hour early wherever you go see this if you see it this weekend. I got there 30 minutes early and had already purchased my tickets online and the only spots available were on the very front row of the theater.

I sat front row too. Packed theater and maybe a dozen or two people left during the credits. I think JJ Abrams' job got a lot tougher. Groot is the new Chewbacca. Star Lord is an update of Han Solo. Gamora is like Leia in some ways as well.

What do you all think about age appropriateness? A few of my friends want to know. It's hard for me to say because my boys are only 2 and 5.

I was hyping it as this generation's Star Wars after leaving the theater. It directly recalled A New Hope in a few different scenes. The bar scene was obviously reminiscent of the Cantina, but even beyond that a lot of subtle shots reminded me of establishing shots in A New Hope.

I sat front row too. Packed theater and maybe a dozen or two people left during the credits. I think JJ Abrams' job got a lot tougher. Groot is the new Chewbacca. Star Lord is an update of Han Solo. Gamora is like Leia in some ways as well.

What do you all think about age appropriateness? A few of my friends want to know. It's hard for me to say because my boys are only 2 and 5.

Depends on how concerned they are with their kids hearing the word "shit." Other than that, there wasn't much to be concerned with there. I don't think there were any f-bombs (there was the one really weird "bitch" that seemed out of place), and the violence was pretty understated.

Yeah. There was less sex and violence than I was expecting. One sexy scene from the trailer wasn't even in the movie.

Funny to bring up Star Wars given the stinger scene.

Seriously, go see Guardians of the Galaxy. Seriously. (no spoilers)

One of the things that struck me was how each character, despite being thieves and killers, were very sympathetic characters. The scenes that stick out to me are Rocket's drunken tirade in the bar and his pleas to Groot. Drax is similar in a couple scenes where he becomes emotional. I think the amount of heart the movie had was the most pleasant surprise. It wasn't all just laughs and explosions.

$37.2M on Friday. Projected to be somewhere in the $92-95M range similar to the other big debuts behind Transformers.

Seriously, go see Guardians of the Galaxy. Seriously. (no spoilers)

Two small negatives for me. 1. Zaldana was a noticeably worse character than the rest. Her lines were a little too on the nose and her motivations were mostly left on the cutting room floor (I'm guessing. It can't have just been that one line about destroying a whole planet). 2. I know James Gunn loves working with his brother and Michael Rooker but they both took me out of it a bit. Rooker's key scene was awesome but he is a little too much, even for a "big" role.

I want a Rocket/Groot spinoff.

dancing-groot.gif

SPOILERS

I'll put spoilers in the title when I get to my computer.

Man that end scene with sprout Groot dancing was so good. I haven't seen many sidekicks own an audience like Rocket and Groot except Olaf in Frozen.

More thoughts later. I'll say quickly that Marvel builds drama and internal struggle with the ridiculous angst we see in other superhero movies. A big part of that is no characters with secret identities. They'd have a tough time using this same approach with Spider-Man.

Back