• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I realize it's in the nature of the Spiderman comics to be lighthearted, but I wish more of these Marvel movies would take the enormous hint that Christopher Nolan gave them and make these movies darker. I would kill to see what someone like Nolan could do with the X-Men comics. IMO those movies have been horribly done seemingly because the writers are either too afraid or just incapable of writing the plots dark enough. The world of X-Men is extremely intricate and dark, yet the movies thus far have been shallow and lame. Sack up, bring in Mister Sinister, and make a good X-Men movie for once.

Last edited:
To me it's not about "dark" but "serious". I think the Dark Knight trilogy and the Avengers series gives people two frameworks to work from that correspond to their respective comics companies. I think Hollywood has just started to take comics properties seriously in the last 5 years or so. And I'm not sure people really understand how to balance what works for kids, parents, and the box office. An R rated movie in which Wolverine hacks people to death would be fun but would hurt ticket sales among families.

I realize it's in the nature of the Spiderman comics to be lighthearted, but I wish more of these Marvel movies would take the enormous hint that Christopher Nolan gave them and make these movies darker. I would kill to see what someone like Nolan could do with the X-Men comics. IMO those movies have been horribly done seemingly because the writers are either too afraid or just incapable of writing the plots dark enough. The world of X-Men is extremely intricate and dark, yet the movies thus far have been shallow and lame. Sack up, bring in Mister Sinister, and make a good X-Men movie for once.

The Spiderman comics are anything but lighthearted (at least up until Brand New Day...screw you Quesada). Spidey is a tortured, guilt ridden character who uses sarcasm and wit to try and anger his enemies into mistakes. The best Spidey stories (and there are lots if them) are very, very dark. The Night Gwen Stacy died, Kraven's Last Hunt, Venom, Torment, The Death of Harry Osborne, Lifetheft, the original Clone Saga, the return of Norman Osborne and the perpetrated miscarriage of Peter and Mary Janes baby, the events pre- and post- Civil War....not to mention how many of his enemies are violent, murderous psychopaths.

A few years ago, Marvel designated a new line of comics called "Marvel Knights" that were more mature and serious, "darker" if you will. These included Blade, Ghost Rider, Nick Fury (the 85+ year old white version), Daredevil, Luke Cage and the Punisher. Punisher could certainly be considered an attempt at dark, Daredevil to a lesser degree. Let me use understatement here to say, neither did particularly well. Blade on the other hand was a huge hit. Ghost Rider is whatever the hell it was. That's the only Marvel movie I haven't seen and refuse to see.

I think Daredevil deserves another shot, his character is certainly capable of a gritty movie. Just rip off some of the Frank Miller stories, like "Death of Elektra", panel by panel, and that's a mighty fine movie.

While looking around imdb just now, I noticed that the guy that wrote the Daredevil screenplay also wrote Ghost Rider and Elektra. Just how much does he have to prove he's terrible at writing movies before they stop hiring him?

Also, I'd love love love to see a Luke Cage movie.

Meanwhile, the early reviews for The Dark Knight Rises are that it is a masterpiece.

A few years ago, Marvel designated a new line of comics called "Marvel Knights" that were more mature and serious, "darker" if you will. These included Blade, Ghost Rider, Nick Fury (the 85+ year old white version), Daredevil, Luke Cage and the Punisher. Punisher could certainly be considered an attempt at dark, Daredevil to a lesser degree. Let me use understatement here to say, neither did particularly well. Blade on the other hand was a huge hit. Ghost Rider is whatever the hell it was. That's the only Marvel movie I haven't seen and refuse to see.

I think Daredevil deserves another shot, his character is certainly capable of a gritty movie. Just rip off some of the Frank Miller stories, like "Death of Elektra", panel by panel, and that's a mighty fine movie.

While looking around imdb just now, I noticed that the guy that wrote the Daredevil screenplay also wrote Ghost Rider and Elektra. Just how much does he have to prove he's terrible at writing movies before they stop hiring him?

I love Daredevil, and what Frank Miller did with that character in the 80's was nothing short of brilliant. I really want a great Daredevil movie.

And from what I remember of the Marvel Knights imprint is they weren't gritty so much as they were needlessly violent. The only effective use of violence I've see from Marvel was the re-launch of X-Force following Messiah Complex (even though now it kinda blows and Fantomex is the only interesting character left in that book).

There was a Luke Cage/Iron Fist "Heroes for Hire" TV show in development for awhile. Not sure Based on Wikipedia, there was a film in the works in the mid-00s and Jamie Foxx then Tyrese were slated to star. Obviously, you comics guys know more than I do, but Heroes For Hire sounds like a pretty sweet "buddy cop" type TV show.

Meanwhile, the early reviews for The Dark Knight Rises are that it is a masterpiece.

You might see some Oscar love for TDKR come next winter - partly for the film itself and partly for the brilliance of the entire trilogy (a la Return of the King).

Shit man, 1 week from today I'll be watching Dark Knight Rises. My nerd boner is at full mast!

the inside word on the dark knight rises is that it is AWESOME

For all the good Marvel has done on the big screen, they're really underwhelming in the animation department.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/171777-comic-con-marvel-tv-panel-round-up

They're making a whole series out of the "Marvel Mash-Up"? Oh man, that's horrible. They end the Marvel Universe block with 5 minutes of that and it's horrible. "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" was pretty funny, but that's about as much as they can do with that. The whole "Avengers Assemble" as a "sequel" of the current Avengers series is an real life retcon to stem criticism that that show will be like the new Spider-man show. The current show, A:EMH is very good so it's smart to make a connection, but it's too late to do that.

I checked out the Fatman on Batman podcast with Paul Dini. Wow. Didn't realize that he wrote several of my favorite 80s and early 90s cartoons leading up to B:TAS. He-man, GI Joe, Transformers, even Tiny Toon Adventures. I had forgotten that way back pre-internet, Tiny Toon Adventures received as script from some girls and thought it was good and made an episode around it. Good conversation about the development of the Harley Quinn character and how it would fare in a movie. They did mention Zooey playing her which made me cringe. Dini told a story about having dinner with Kristen Bell who had expressed interest in playing the character. She didn't realize that he was the one who created her.

I actually like Marvel Mashup ok. Not nearly enough to watch 30 minutes of it though. If they wanted a kids show then Super Hero Squad wasn't all that bad, imo of course.

Batman premiere is tomorrow in, of all places, Burlington, VT. If anyone can score me tix, hook me up!

saw Spiderman last night and after hearing some mixed reviews i thought it was AWESOME. didn't mind them redoing some of the origin story that was done in the first series. thought Garfield and Stone were WAY WAY WAY better than McGuire and Dunst. acting, plot, score, everything was better than the 1st time around IMO. thought garfield did an excellent job of portraying the angst of a teenager who also has to release the unbelievable power and responsibility he has been given.

I've read several scathing reviews of the movie and I agree with a lot of what they said. I still just think it was a good movie. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes in the next one and retool Osborn if he was the mystery character in the credits.

Some Marvel movie info from ComicCon. Marvel Studios is putting out 3 movies in a 9 month span.

CCI: MARVEL STUDIOS

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1207/15/index.htm#

Marvel Studios has announced an August 1, 2014 release for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. The studio also released concept art by Charlie Wen to go with the announcement.

Marvel also announced titles for future movies: Thor: The Dark World on Nov. 8, 2013 and Captain America: Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014.

Look for more details from the panel -- including Iron Man 3 -- soon.

I'm very excited for the Cap sequel. The Winter Soldier storyline is a favorite. It has the potential to be very personal and dark.

The guy who played Bucky is signed for 6 movies.

I just read the Wiki for Bucky and it looks like a great story. They could fold in a significant Black Widow angle as well.

I'm worried about the quality of the three movies being diluted by opening so close to each other. I'm psyched about them though.

I've read several scathing reviews of the movie and I agree with a lot of what they said. I still just think it was a good movie. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes in the next one and retool Osborn if he was the mystery character in the credits.

Some Marvel movie info from ComicCon. Marvel Studios is putting out 3 movies in a 9 month span.

CCI: MARVEL STUDIOS

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1207/15/index.htm#

Marvel Studios has announced an August 1, 2014 release for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. The studio also released concept art by Charlie Wen to go with the announcement.

Marvel also announced titles for future movies: Thor: The Dark World on Nov. 8, 2013 and Captain America: Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014.

Look for more details from the panel -- including Iron Man 3 -- soon.

Guardians of e Galaxy is a natural step in their created storyline with Avengers, and as excited as I am, I worry about how they pull that off

Guardians of e Galaxy is a natural step in their created storyline with Avengers, and as excited as I am, I worry about how they pull that off

Here is my concern for that: the general public may not be ready, and they will dilute the awesomeness of the Avengers before it even gets stale.

Reactions: Go
Back