• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

(Jessica Jones and Deadpool) 2 trailers both dropped today. I'm not your trailer monkey, find them yourself.

I'm posting this one because it's crap. Here's the Venom trailer, for a movie I have a middling interest in. This did nothing to enhance it.

It's also directed by Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer and from what I've read, they let him have an R rating. So I'm in.

They're going to need to make a Venom mask that only cover's the lower half of Tom Hardy's face though if they want this to be a success.

That Venom teaser was barely a tease. One shot of the symbiote. No shot of the title character.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-origin-movie-todd-phillips-1202692188/

So this entire sentence was news to me: Joaquin Phoenix is in talks to play the Clown Prince of Crime in Warner Bros. and Todd Phillips’ untitled Joker origin movie.

I don't know DC Comics nearly as well as I do Marvel but am I right in thinking there hasn't actually been a Joker origin story? There have been several rumors and hints but nothing definitive, right?

There have been a few in the comics. There was one in BTAS. The Killing Joke story was made into an animated film in 2016.

Seems like good prep for the role.

I thought Phoenix went batshit crazy and quit acting to study herbal medicine in bolivia or something.

I think that was schtick for a movie, I'm Still Here iirc and he's just normal crazy, not quite batshit.

Checking around Facebook now I'm seeing rumors of a Lobo movie with director *drum roll* Michael Bay! Hahaha.

It’s like DC wants to suck. That should be their Deadpool.

Interesting article with some news on upcoming DC TV shows including Krypton and Metropolis. Yes, there is an existing pre-Batman show and two pre-Superman shows in the works.

There Are Too Many DC Comics TV Shows

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/05/there-are-too-many-dc-comics-tv-shows

As much as DC may still be struggling to gain a foothold on the big screen, they've truly become a force to be reckoned with in the TV world. The CW alone is now home to six different DC Comics-based series, and that's not even counting other current series like Gotham and Lucifer on Fox or Preacher on AMC. And now, with DC prepping a new streaming service that will play host to shows like Titans and Young Justice: Outsiders, there's about to be more DC content on TV than fans can possibly make time for. But is that really such a good thing? We may be reaching the point where having this much DC content does more harm than good.

This dilemma is really becoming apparent with the recent announcement of Metropolis, another series exclusive to the DC streaming app. Metropolis is basically the Superman franchise's answer to Gotham, exploring Lois Lane and Lex Luthor's respective struggles in the city before the arrival of Superman. Why DC would even want to replicate the Gotham formula is unclear. Gotham may draw respectable ratings for Fox, but it's also been critically savaged in the past and mocked for its handling of many of Batman's iconic villains. Often, the show seems hellbent on cramming as many Batman elements as possible into a pre-Batman setting, and I fear Metropolis will suffer from that same lack of storytelling discipline. Not to mention that Gotham at least has its young version of Bruce Wayne to fall back on. Presumably, young Clark Kent won't be a part of Metropolis.

--------------------------
Here's an article about Flash's Killer Frost problem.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/13/the-flash-how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-killer-frost
-------------------

But on the other hand, Black Lightning took another step up this week. I was originally concerned about how they were treating Tobias Whale, but the last few weeks have been an excellent slow build with some good reveals and teases about his past. Annisa and Jennifer had some great pre-hero scenes. Yet the show manages to keep it's voice. The opening scene with Black Lightning confronting the cops about to shoot a kid was perfect.

A show this fresh and high quality really reveals the wear and tear on Arrow this season. It's hard to watch. The best thing this season was the Deathstroke/Jericho arc, but according to that link, they can't use him since he's going to be in the upcoming Batman movie. The DC embargo has been a problem going all the way back to the "Bat-embargo" that kept high profile Batman villains out of Justice League Unlimited. DC loves to shot themselves in the foot for no reason.

Last edited:
I actually think Arrow and Flash have had pretty good seasons this year. Supergirl is the one that’s taken a noticeable step back.

I think Arrow has been all over the place. The latest episode was a real disappointment.

Flash has had a good villain, but loses points for how they've treated Wally and Caitlin. Both are getting stale.

Supergirl needs to stick the landing with Reign and the World Killers and the Legion plot line.

The crossover was excellent though.

Black Lightning and Legends are clearly ahead of the other three.

I think the thing with Arrow (at least for me) is that the R'as Al Ghul season was so bad that anything better than that seems pretty good. Which is fine. Not every season is going to be S2 excellent. It's settled into good not great territory.

I agree on Flash. Caitlin has gotten stale and Wally just never fit. I'm not particularly thrilled with Ralph, but it does appear he has a greater purpose on the show, which fits with the excellent villain commentary.

Supergirl....man, I just don't see this season ending well. It's been such a dour, depressing slog of a watch this season. This happened on Flash with the Savitar season, too, and it really seems like Arrow is the only one of these shows capable of going dark and it working.

Legends is fun and continues to be fun. I haven't seen BL yet. Just too much else going on.

Back