• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

Last edited:
Definitely. The Earth references were hilarious. His version of Earth is still as a 10 year boy in 1988. Awesome frame of reference. It was pretty clear that humans were rare but not unusual and Earth culture was somewhat known. They did a nice job of world building in that respect. I really need to see this thing again.

i loved some of the subtle 70s/80s refs like Ranger Rick

Josh Larsen (from Filmspotting) took issue with the use of the pop references. An excerpt:

Another nod to Raiders comes during an early scene in which Quill retrieves the artifact that will become this movie’s MacGuffin. Supremely self-aware about the pop-culture water it’s swimming in, Guardians then has Quill refer to the object as a MacGuffin and even mentions The Maltese Falcon, perhaps the greatest MacGuffin movie of all time. Overall, Guardians of the Galaxy is so stuffed with pop-culture references that if you removed them the entire movie would likely collapse. Quill refers to an alien adversary at one point as a “Ninja Turtle” and later calls Rocket “Ranger Rick.” He woos Gamora by referencing Footloose. Even in its structure and milieu (the director is James Gunn), the movie is a Lucas-Spielberg hybrid, yet another Star Wars star child with alien backdrops and a climactic sequence of parallel conflicts.

For those of us immersed in popular culture, such touches can bring a chuckle of delight (and I laughed at a few here). But there also has to be a ceiling for this sort of thing, a point after which the pop-culture universe no longer envisions anything new but instead begins to fold in on itself. When, I wonder, did our movies become the equivalent of an issue of Entertainment Weekly?

There can be compelling, thematic reasons for sprinkling a film’s story with elements of popular culture. The way Guardians of the Galaxy incorporates hit songs from the 1970s and early ’80s – they’re from a mix tape that Quill’s mother made before he was taken from Earth – is a good example. But too often these days, when a movie refers to another movie, or a song or a real-life star, it’s to parasitically siphon the attachment the audience has to the thing being referenced (largely because there’s nothing for us to latch onto in the movie at hand). Guardians of the Galaxy isn’t quite that empty – it has those fun characters – but it’s still a discouraging part of this wearying trend.

Full review: http://www.larsenonfilm.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy

that guy sounds like tons of fun at a party. i thought it helped give some character to Pratt that his references were all from the early/mid 80s and stopped. The TMNT ref was kind of weird given the movie coming out.

The mix tape and the culture references illustrate how hard Quill is trying to hold on to his memories of Earth and his humanity while maintaining his adventures in space. This guy seems to understand the mix tape but doesn't understand the references particularly in context of a man abducted as a 10 year old boy.

I don't get the guys gripe. Not even a little bit. That almost reads like some hipster psycho babble about how pop culture isn't cool or something. Like, a few pop culture references distracted him that much from the bigger picture? Or, like Ph said above, he can't see it as the anchor to Quill's own origin? That's not even missing the forest for the trees...that's like picking one tree in the forest and being mad because that tree is overexposed and cliche in the forest.

Seeing Guardians of the Galaxy made me sad all over again that Edgar Wright won't be directing Ant-Man.

Seeing Guardians of the Galaxy made me sad all over again that Edgar Wright won't be directing Ant-Man.

It made me trust that Ant-Man will be fine. It's becoming clear that Marvel has a grand vision and they just find people who can best execute that vision.

Here is some interesting Ant-Man news. Basically, Darren Cross is Yellowjacket in the MCU and it will be an updated version of the Ant-Man suit that Lang is presumably stealing for Pym.

http://sciencefiction.com/2014/08/04/corey-stoll-talks-yellowjacket-ant-man/
It was recently made official at SDCC 2014 that Corey Stoll (‘The Strain‘, ‘House of Cards’) would take on the role of Yellowjacket in Marvel’s upcoming ‘Ant-Man‘ film and now he is finally able to share a little bit about the character that he’ll be portraying.First up, he talked about the costume that he’ll be wearing. While it isn’t finished quite yet, Stoll gave some solid details that gives us an idea of what to expect. “I’ve had several costume fittings and it’s looking amazing. It’s still in flux, they’re still figuring out exactly how it’s going to look, but it’s going to be awesome… In this story Darren Cross, who was in the comic books but was not Yellowjacket in the comic books, he has a suit that is sort of the next generation of Ant-Man’s suit. It can do everything that Ant-Man can do, but more. It’s more badass, more militaristic, sleeker… sort of like if Apple had designed a battle suit.”With what they’ve told us about the film so far, this sounds like a solid take on the villain. If he’s taking the technology and throwing it in another, more modern direction, the design style seems right. As a huge fan of Stoll I think he’ll be able to do a fun take on an evil CEO who is using the suit and Pym Particles, or whatever they call them here, for his own gain.

Last edited:
A friend of mine just made this her profile picture on Facebook.

10411825_10100749332658154_1232579170787850076_n.jpg

"if you removed them [pop culture references] the entire movie would likely collapse."

Should have stopped reading after that sentence. 100% trolling, no way anyone actually believes that. You'd have to believe the rest of the characters like Rocky who have no pop-culture "crutch" to lean on are pointless Star Wars retreads. Which isn't even close to accurate.

Great movie. Lots of clicks to be earned and cash to be made by dressing up troll jobs with language that impersonates an intelligent review.

In the last few years since I've been following movies more closely, I've really wanted to do a study of the "haters." Who are the 15 people who wrote negative reviews picked up by RT out of the 190 total reviews? What drove them to hate a movie that has been almost universally praised? Is it a "sharp elbows, wouldn't hit" type thing?

Back