• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

The Batman is an animated series that had some decent moments but isn't really worth watching. It was a step down from BTAS and didn't have the charm of Batman: Brave and the Bold. Of the other three, I've only seen The Flashpoint Paradox and I thought it was pretty good.

I just watched Flashpoint Paradox and my only problem with it is coming to the realization that no episode of The Flash will ever be this good. It might not be fair to make that comparison, the tv show clearly borrows some elements from this story (originally a comic book series) but the show can never execute something this grand. I won't expound on that in the interest of spoilers, but the tv show doesn't have the depth of characters available to use.

This movie is the pinnacle of the genre and if you're into this sort of thing, then watch it ASAP. I think it's one of the best time travel/alternate reality stories told, period, not just for superheroes.

On the other end of the spectrum is "The Batman" series. Not that it's bad, but I don't like the animation style at all so it starts with 2 strikes for me.

I haven't seen the other 2 mentioned (Justice War and Son of Batman) but they're both high on my queue.

Are any of these worth checking out for a DC animation novice like myself?

I've not seen enough of the The Batman to give much of an opinion so far (although I'm not a fan of some of the new character designs for the villains).

Justice League is on Netflix. I would rate it as the second best DC animated series and is definitely worth checking out. It gives you a good introduction to the DC universe especially once you get to the seasons that originally aired as Justice League Unlimited. In my opinion, if you don't like this show then you probably won't like any of the DC animated stuff.

Young Justice is also on Netflix. I like this show and it's worth checking out. I wouldn't rate it as essential.

The DC animated movies that I posted Flashpoint Paradox, The Son of Batman and the Justice War are not part of the original DC animated universe that everyone liked so much. These movies are cartoon adaptations of some fairly recent popular storylines in the comics. The movies are all decent to good but I don't consider any of them to be essential viewing. The Flashpoint Paradox is the best of the three though.

Last edited:
Young Justice is excellent. The storylines and twists are intricate and it plays with a large portion of the DC Universe. The basic plot is that the Justice League forms a covert ops team made up of teenage sidekicks led by Aqualad and Robin (Dick Grayson). The rest of the original team is Kid Flash, Superboy (a clone and rejected sidekick), and Miss Martian. Red Arrow is involved as well although he's older as well. They gradually add more sidekicks such as Artemis (Green Arrow), Zatanna, and Rocket. The main villains are The Light, a committee of super villains lead by Vandal Savage.

There's been a movement to do a Season 3 on Netflix. Some fans have posted screenshots of replies from Netflix saying a Season 3 on Netflix is possible if enough people watch Seasons 1 and 2.

Cartoon Network really screwed up with marketing and promotion for Young Justice. Same with Green Lantern:TAS and Beware the Batman. They had three good comic book action shows but they wanted to focus on comedy so they let the shows flounder in favor of Teen Titans Go! which is just horrible.

Every now and then we'll be channel surfing, I'll see Teen Titans Go! and think "oh cool a super hero cartoon". Then I watch it for about 30 seconds and realize that it doesn't make any damn sense at all.

Teen Titans Go! is Marvel animation bad. Check out Marvel Super Heros Adventures: Frost Fight (also just added to Netflix) to compare and contrast the nadir of each company.

Justice League: War ended with a chill, they were coming up with a name for the group and someone suggested "The Super 7*" which made me say "NOOOOOOO! In 3 years you'll end up with only Shazam, who'll be stuck in Billy Batson mode and Cyborg, who will show flashes of power but ultimately his immaturity will keep him from reaching his potential."

*Yes, I know our senior class called themselves "The Sensational 7" but it still was close enough to give me a shiver.

I wished they had stuck with Aquaman instead of Shazam like the comic did it originally.

Shazam was one of my favorite characters on Young Justice. They used him well as a member of the Justice League who mentally belonged with the sidekicks. At the beginning, only a few members of the Justice League know his secret identity. The episode that reveals Billy Batson is one of the best and just a brilliant use of the character.

By the way, Shazam was excellent in "Clash" his one episode of Justice League Unlimited as well. I could post the big fight from that ep which was one of the best in the series, but I'll post his speech at the end where he rips Superman a new one.

Just occurred to me that season arc dealt with a billionaire with an ax to grind against aliens running for president.

Last edited:
I was talking about Shazam replacing Aquaman in the Justice War movie. I agree with you that they did an excellent job with the character in Young Justice.

I realize what you were talking about. I just used it as a jump off point to talk about Shazam in other DC animation.

There was a Superman-Shazam short several years back that was good as well.

The episode where Shazam goes back and forth between the world with all kids and the world with all adults was a very fun episode.

The episode where Shazam goes back and forth between the world with all kids and the world with all adults was a very fun episode.

Especially with the teenagers being calm and taking care of the little ones while the adults rioted and blamed the scientists. Which I felt was realistic.

Especially with the teenagers being calm and taking care of the little ones while the adults rioted and blamed the scientists. Which I felt was realistic.

Yep I would agree with that. See:
-- Fallout 3
-- The 100
-- Between

Agents of SHIELD returns tonight. It was renewed for Season 4 last week.

Supergirl has been renewed for Season 2.

10552505_845677482228183_8471313987635686302_n.jpg

Back