• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CF Players start unionizing

No you wouldn't. Not if you were a grad assistant in basketball or football. Because that is exactly what they tell you.

If we pay players then they need to pay for the services. Charge them tuition, charge them tutor fees, charge them housing, charge them food. 99% of college athletes aren't worth the jersey on their back.

The 1% subsidize the 99%. I am truly surprised that PH is pushing this as the only people to benefit from this deal are the top 1% of basketball and football players, and in the process of getting paid the entire system that makes their fame possible will be destroyed.

Alabama fans love Alabama football because the guys in the field are wearing an Alabama jersey no because of the name on the back. Destroy school pride (which is what dismantling the collegiate system will do) and you destroy the product.

This is such a stupid idea for so many reasons the chief of which being that within the decade the very system which pays the superstars will no longer exist.

Players get paid. Just like grad assistants or anyone else gets paid. If they don't like the deal they can go play pro ball overseas. No one forces them to sign a scholarship. Those northwestern players are idiots. They are probably taking in a lifestyle of close 100k a year and are treated like gods in the prime of their life. Yeah, they are truly oppressed. Idiots.

meh, board/gear is just part of the benefits package/tools of the trade for an athlete. Athletes need a more rigorous schedule for practice/nutrition (lol)/ exercise. All of those are part of the investment looking for a return on the field/stadium/tv/ad revenue.

Schools provide microscopes, lab equipment/supplies/computers for researchers and still pay them. What's the difference?

Not really they don't. Those funds come from (usually) competitive grants. There are some exceptions (start up packages, dept overhead targeted yo research needs) bit the majority of equipment is funded through the nih, NSF etc. Plus researchers don't get to take them home.

Not really they don't. Those funds come from (usually) competitive grants. There are some exceptions (start up packages, dept overhead targeted yo research needs) bit the majority of equipment is funded through the nih, NSF etc. Plus researchers don't get to take them home.

Right. That equipment is analogous to weight rooms and other training facilities. I'm not sure how much equipment players can take with them after they graduate. See the stuff about Jordan Rodgers not being able to use Vandy facilities.

How about if you showed up at your internship and your boss said "I'm not going to pay you, but I'm going to prepare you for a career where you have the possibility of making millions of dollars."

People take unpaid internships all the time. It's just part of the process.

They do, but I don't think it's a coincidence that unpaid internships have come under increased scrutiny around the same time.

what PH said; how is an NSF grant different than an ACC tv contract?

They do, but I don't think it's a coincidence that unpaid internships have come under increased scrutiny around the same time.

Exactly. The practice of employing people without paying them or barely paying them has been slowly coming under scrutiny since Cain and Abel asked Adam for an allowance. It's not a coincidence that minimum wage, compensation for student-athletes, and unpaid internships are all being debated.

all of you should read this before commenting further. These guys aren't even suggesting pay for play. the closest they get to it is suggesting actual full cost of attendance scholarships which include small "living expenses" stipends (just like other full-ride students can get) and eliminating the amateurism rules that prevent athletes from holding down jobs and getting compensated for use of their names and likenesses.

This is the part that seems so crazy to me. (Or, one of the parts.) The athlete that wasn’t allowed to be an extra in a movie. The one that started a clothing line and couldn’t promote it himself. The NCAA essentially owns their names and images. That’s bizarre.

I’d also be very much in favor of the one time transfer with no punishment.

If you showed up for work tomorrow and your boss said, "Skydog, I'm going to stop paying you money. Instead, I'm going to let you take some classes and give you books and I'll throw in some sneakers, too," you'd walk back out.

This is probably the worst strawman argument I have read on this board. Well done, Ph.

This is the part that seems so crazy to me. (Or, one of the parts.) The athlete that wasn’t allowed to be an extra in a movie. The one that started a clothing line and couldn’t promote it himself. The NCAA essentially owns their names and images. That’s bizarre.

I’d also be very much in favor of the one time transfer with no punishment.

the argument is that rich boosters will pay kids to do nothing at fake jobs in their businesses. my response is, so what? if that's how people want to spend their money, go for it. who is the loser in that situation? people will then argue that it will upset the competitive balance because Alabama and Oregon have so many more rich boosters with fake jobs than, say, Wake. To which my response is, how are we competitive with Alabama and Oregon now?

UNC offered fake classes to try to compete.

Look, the market doesn't support a minor league or even an alternative to the NFL (like the USFL or XFL) that could act as a go-between league or one that takes kids straight out of HS. You can't force the colleges to revenue share, and you can't force the NFL to change its rules.

Kids play football as kids either for fun or so they'll be able to play in HS. They play in HS either for fun, to pad their extracurricular activities list for college, or to play at the college level. They play at the college level either for fun, because they got a scholarship, or because they want to a chance at a professional career. Same with any college sport that offers a professional option, to include ones like baseball, soccer, and hockey that have minor or professional league options available. Even hoops has the option for going overseas to sharpen your skills if you don't want to do the college game.

Why do kids usually opt for college instead of going overseas? Because the quality of competition and teaching is better at the college level, plus the added benefit of an education. If football can support a minor league system of sorts, then it would have developed by now. The reason it hasn't is because college football is adored and has been for several decades. If the kids wanna whine about getting paid, then go find a way to get paid outside of the existing framework. In the meantime, don't sully my game with union bullshit and demands for payment.

How amusing that a school like Northwestern (in Chicago, of course) would spearhead this. Those 2 and 3 star kids that don't get a shot at Ohio State and Michigan get the chance to play and develop at a school like NW, which wouldn't be able to afford to pay them in all likelihood. When there are 15-20 schools left standing that can afford to pay their players, it will be the NWs and WFs of the world who are left out in the cold, and all those players of the caliber being recruited by NW will be left holding their dicks and looking to play ball at something less than a BCS-quality scholarship school or working in some service-industry shit job because their academics and/or financial situation at home kept them from furthering their education.

Last edited:
Sorry dude, you have lost this argument if you don't associate tuition et al with money. Honestly, it's beneath your usual reasoned arguments.

*Looks around. Checks watch. Goes back to reading thread*

Back