• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CF Players start unionizing

That's not the model I described. My model is the same one used for graduate students.

That's not the model I described. My model is the same one used for graduate students.

Me too. The non-engineering, paid graduate students. Your history, english, sociology grad students who are paying their own way.

What leverage do players at NW and Wake have over the university? According to ESPN, this will only happen at private universities. What happens when Hatch says "No and get out of my office"? If Wake went on strike would anybody notice?

"There is some irony in the fact that Northwestern is Ground Zero for a push to be compensated beyond a scholarship, since the school offers the most expensive full-cost of attendance in the league, if not the nation, at $63,000 for the 2013-14 school year." That's a lot of coupons.

If you showed up for work tomorrow and your boss said, "Skydog, I'm going to stop paying you money. Instead, I'm going to let you take some classes and give you books and I'll throw in some sneakers, too," you'd walk back out.

Also in the PH model of fair worth I think everyone is severely discounting the future and potential earnings all these student athletes now have access to by attending a way better school than would normally admit them, or attending school period (very bkf of me but also highly accurate). So in the PH model I also propose to eliminate this future earning bias these student athletes are getting for free since they are now getting paid, to be admitted to said schools their applications go blindly into the pool of applications schools normally get and the university must admit them based off only academic merit and not anything to do with athletics because i mean fair is fair right.

Where are you getting this "PH model of fair worth" from?

My only point is that if we're going to pay student-athletes, let's use an existing model for paying them.

My only point is that if we're going to pay student-athletes, let's use an existing model for paying them.

And my point is we already paying them. You just refuse to see that.

And my point is we are already paying them. You just refuse to see that.

I just looked up the definition of the word "pay" and it includes the word "money."

I just looked up the definition of the word "pay" and it includes the word "money."

Sorry dude, you have lost this argument if you don't associate tuition et al with money. Honestly, it's beneath your usual reasoned arguments.

What? Sociology and History graduate students, at least, get paid.

Hmm, guess you went to a different school than myself and my friends who were in non-STEM masters programs. Even engineering masters students don't get paid in most institutions.

Sorry dude, you have lost this argument if you don't associate tuition et al with money. Honestly, it's beneath your usual reasoned arguments.

I've never heard anybody equate a scholarship with a paycheck.

Actually, I remember hearing that girl who accused Dennis Godfrey of rape thought she was going to get paid because Godfrey got a full ride to Wake worth around $250,000.

But that's the only time except for your posts that I've heard of somebody equating a scholarship with getting paid.

Hmm, guess you went to a different school than myself and my friends who were in non-STEM masters programs. Even engineering masters students don't get paid in most institutions.

Doesn't matter. We're talking about the model that pays grad students.

all of you should read this before commenting further. These guys aren't even suggesting pay for play. the closest they get to it is suggesting actual full cost of attendance scholarships which include small "living expenses" stipends (just like other full-ride students can get) and eliminating the amateurism rules that prevent athletes from holding down jobs and getting compensated for use of their names and likenesses.

Many of you think Wellman is lighting cigars with $100 bills. We don't have enough money to pay all athletes and build all these new facilities. And you equate the value of a 4 year starter with a 4 year scrub. Will graduation rates be important anymore? They'll cut a scrub, were they used to keep him on to get their APR up.

If you showed up for work tomorrow and your boss said, "Skydog, I'm going to stop paying you money. Instead, I'm going to let you take some classes and give you books and I'll throw in some sneakers, too," you'd walk back out.

How about if you showed up at your internship and your boss said "I'm not going to pay you, but I'm going to prepare you for a career where you have the possibility of making millions of dollars."

People take unpaid internships all the time. It's just part of the process.

No you wouldn't. Not if you were a grad assistant in basketball or football. Because that is exactly what they tell you.

If we pay players then they need to pay for the services. Charge them tuition, charge them tutor fees, charge them housing, charge them food. 99% of college athletes aren't worth the jersey on their back.

The 1% subsidize the 99%. I am truly surprised that PH is pushing this as the only people to benefit from this deal are the top 1% of basketball and football players, and in the process of getting paid the entire system that makes their fame possible will be destroyed.

Alabama fans love Alabama football because the guys in the field are wearing an Alabama jersey no because of the name on the back. Destroy school pride (which is what dismantling the collegiate system will do) and you destroy the product.

This is such a stupid idea for so many reasons the chief of which being that within the decade the very system which pays the superstars will no longer exist.

Players get paid. Just like grad assistants or anyone else gets paid. If they don't like the deal they can go play pro ball overseas. No one forces them to sign a scholarship. Those northwestern players are idiots. They are probably taking in a lifestyle of close 100k a year and are treated like gods in the prime of their life. Yeah, they are truly oppressed. Idiots.

Last edited:
Back