• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CF Players start unionizing

Yeah - those poor exploited athletes. They look miserable every time I see them walking around the campus where they are provided everything, including a world class education, for 4 years.

Cue the "a college education isn't really compensation" bullshit This is just the first step towards this. It's especially comical when Wake fans, of all people, think they'll even have a football team to watch if players are being paid and in a union.

Wait til OSHA shuts down football. Worker's comp will shot threw the roof. The real losers will be the non revenue male sports.

lolol

Inside the NCAA ‏@InsidetheNCAA 4m
This union-backed attempt to turn student-athletes into employees undermines the purpose of college: an education.

I wonder if this move could make scholarships taxable. I need to look up the qualified scholarship rules.

lolol

Inside the NCAA ‏@InsidetheNCAA 4m
This union-backed attempt to turn student-athletes into employees undermines the purpose of college: an education.

I guess the NCAA will try to troll this into submission.

All while they are cashing in on the product provided by those players.

Yep. I'm not sure how people can look at all the money being brought in my college athletics and say there is no money to pay the players.

I agree with Karma and Ph. There is no way that you can keep pouring these enormous sums into college sports, or any othere activity, and keep denying key participants a reasonable share. You just can't do it. People who think you can are living in a fool's paradise.

I agree with Karma and Ph. There is no way that you can keep pouring these enormous sums into college sports, or any othere activity, and keep denying key participants a reasonable share. You just can't do it. People who think you can are living in a fool's paradise.

Define key participants.

Who has season tickets to field hockey? Who pays for that? The football team does. They make millions and they spend millions. Will the Field hockey team go without paychecks? I don't think so.

Cue the "a college education isn't really compensation" bullshit This is just the first step towards this. It's especially comical when Wake fans, of all people, think they'll even have a football team to watch if players are being paid and in a union.

Oh, man! I was JUST going to post, "cue the 'but we won't have a football team anymore.'" Both not true and sensationalistic fearmongering.

This is welcome and overdue news. I've been wishing the players would unionize for a while. Don't worry, they'll figure out how to have college football without exploiting its athletes.

Yeah it's called the defunding of all non-revenue sports. They're the people that have benefitted the most. The male ones will go first until something can be done to altar Title IX.

If you have a son who plays soccer, golf, runs track, swims, and in some cases plays baseball or lacrosse; I wouldn't count on a future college scholarship.

Female sports won't be too far behind.

Last edited:
Unions poison everything they touch.

Also, I don't see anybody forcing these kids to play college football.

This is welcome and overdue news. I've been wishing the players would unionize for a while. Don't worry, they'll figure out how to have college football without exploiting its athletes.

i dunno, lots of great things were built with slave labor that wouldn't be possible today

Yep. I'm not sure how people can look at all the money being brought in my college athletics and say there is no money to pay the players.

That's absurd. The vast majority of college programs have no money to pay players. You're looking at the top of the house programs in the BCS and projecting that out onto everyone.

Hell, every school could have enough money to pay players and that's still not a convincing argument to actually pay players.

I think to make a competitively balanced league, you would need serious profit sharing. The Alabama's of the world will need to support the Wake Forest's out there. I assume walk-ons will be paid too.

Back