• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CF Players start unionizing

That's absurd. The vast majority of college programs have no money to pay players. You're looking at the top of the house programs in the BCS and projecting that out onto everyone.

Hell, every school could have enough money to pay players and that's still not a convincing argument to actually pay players.

I'm looking at the Wake Forests of the world. Ability to pay players isn't the same as the willingness to pay players. Like I've posted before, you could fund a one semester stipend at the same rate as a graduate student by trimming coaches' salaries, eliminating an AD position or two, scaling down facilities, and making sure schools know they have the option of giving out fewer scholarships to save costs. Basically schools can use the excess they've accumulated from not paying players to pay players.

How much has Wake spent on the fan experience that could go toward paying players?

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Wake Forests of the world. Ability to pay players isn't the same as the willingness to pay players. Like I've posted before, you could fund a one semester stipend at the same rate as a graduate student by trimming coaches' salaries, eliminating an AD position or two, scaling down facilities, and making sure schools know they have the option of giving out fewer scholarships to save costs. Basically schools can use the excess they've accumulated from not paying players to pay players.

How much has Wake spent on the fan experience that could go toward paying players?

Athletic Departments would need to add positions to administer the compensation. Adding 85 (probably more) employees would add some paperwork.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for the concept. You are just oversimplifying things. The fan experience can't be neglected if you are expecting revenues to stay the same.

Last edited:

Wake Forest, while at a major disadvantage to the Bama's of the world, is still a "have" in college football. We're part of the elite. Sure, we could make it work, if we wanted to. What about the majority of programs out there that don't have big bowl contracts, playoff contracts and TV contracts?

Put the money issues aside, I'm still not sure what problem paying players solves.

I'm all for blowing up college sports and paying players/athletes as they do in minor league hockey and baseball.

What will happen if NCAA football players bring a class action suit against their universities and the NCAA a la the NFL players RE: concussions?

Who is paying for all the legal fees for these N'western guys? If a WR drops a ball can he be fired for cause? What is the punishment for missing class? What leverage does a 2* freshmen, like an Aaron Curry,really have?

What will happen if NCAA football players bring a class action suit against their universities and the NCAA a la the NFL players RE: concussions?

Already happening.

Been waiting for this, given the NFL lawsuit
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-players-suing-ncaa-over-162320896--ncaaf.html

Ironically, the NCAA was created about a 100 years ago to advocate for player safety - especially head traumas.

Somehow, college players need to unionize.

Athletic Departments would need to add positions to administer the compensation. Adding 85 (probably more) employees would add some paperwork.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for the concept. You are just oversimplifying things. The fan experience can't be neglected if you are expecting revenues to stay the same.

Lol wut? Every university already has a payroll office for the thousands of professors, janitors, cafeteria workers etc. Adding a couple hundred new paychecks at most is not going to require any significant additional overhead. They have these things called computers that do most of the work these days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Unions poison everything they touch.

Also, I don't see anybody forcing these kids to play college football.

Uhh... no one is forcing anyone to work but we have still have labor and wage restrictions.

Lol wut? Every university already has a payroll office for the thousands of professors, janitors, cafeteria workers etc. Adding a couple hundred new paychecks at most is not going to require any significant additional overhead. They have these things called computers that do most of the work these days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that athlete compensation might be a bit more nuanced than a janitor, but I could just be naive.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that athlete compensation might be a bit more nuanced than a janitor, but I could just be naive.

Why would it be? No need for it to be any different than work study or a graduate stipend.

the players should get paid. if you do some research and see how much profit the "non-profit" ncaa makes, you have to agree.

yeah, whodat wins the award for "dumbest post on the thread" and we still have at least 4 or 5 pages to go.

D4L hit it on the head- college football (and probably "big time" college sports) is coming to an end. Colleges (outside of maybe 40-50), can't pay players. Do you really think WSSU can afford to pay a salary to a football player when they play in front of 12,000 at B-G and pay their head football coach about $200,000 a year? How about Davidson? Let's look at D-1. What chance does North Texas, Troy, or any of the Sunbelt teams have to be able to afford to pay players? Athletic departments, with the exception of those which have their own endowments, are generally self-funded operations that are expected to meet a budget every year. And those schools work hard to break even when using football and baskteball $$ to fund their entire department.

Is it possible for schools to come up with ~$500,000.00 to $1,000,000 a year to pay some sort of cheap stipend to football players? For those in the BCS conferences, possibly. But is paying ~5,000 to $10,000 a year fair compensation to college football players? Not really.

We have all grown up (and in some cases, got very old) watching a system based on a fantasy. I can live with that, and don't have a huge problem with the system as is. It probably helps more folks than it hurts. But if folks want to bring the real-world into the fantasy, that is probably fine as well. Its not like what we watch is legal based on any fair interpretation of the law. But don't be shocked when bringing the real-world into the fantasy finally divorces college sports from college.

Why would it be? No need for it to be any different than work study or a graduate stipend.

Except it's not. If the argument is about fairness relative to revenues, then a work study stipend ain't getting it done.

why not? grad students do a shit ton of research and lab work that universities benefit from and are only paid stipends

Ok. So that the disconnect. People think that unlike every other student job on campus, this system is going to pay NFL salaries to college athletes. No wonder you all are against it.

Ok. So that the disconnect. People think that unlike every other student job on campus, this system is going to pay NFL salaries to college athletes. No wonder you all are against it.

I'm for it. Unionized collegiate athletes should only settle for stipends for so long though.

So what is fair? Remember that every athlete is already getting room, board, tutoring, and some clothing free. And the large majority of them cost their university money.

Back