• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chances on Grobe to Penn State?

IDK. Let me go back and check out the two deep roster from 13 years ago.

Do your work for you, you say? OK...

It's not quite a two-deep, but it's pretty close. The numbers do not correspond to uniform numbers btw.

Rk Player Home State
1 Tee Martin* AL
3 Shawn Bryson* NC
4 Travis Henry* FL
7 Jamal Lewis GA
8 Travis Stephens TN
9 Peerless Price* OH
10 Cedrick Wilson* TN (Memphis)
11 Jeremaine Copeland TN
14 John Finlayson* TN
15 Chad Clifton* TN
16 Cosey Coleman* GA
17 Mercedes Hamilton* GA via FUMA
18 Jarvis Reado* LA
19 Spencer Riley* TN
20 Jeff Hall TN
21 Shaun Ellis* SC
22 Ron Green* MD
23 Corey Terry* NC via JUCO
24 Darwin Walker* SC
25 Jeff Coleman SC
27 Billy Ratliff MS
28 Raynoch Thompson* LA
29 Eric Westmoreland* TN
30 Al Wilson* TN
31 Dwayne Goodrich* IL
32 Deon Grant* GA
33 Steve Johnson* GA
34 Fred White* GA
35 Derrick Edmonds FL
36 Gerald Griffin TN
38 David Leaverton TX

Really interesting to me how compartmentalized this is...DBs from GA, DL from the Carolinas, OL from TN. Skill folks from a variety of places, but none too far (Knoxville is only 250 miles from Cincinnati).

UT won a national championship in 1998 when Spurrier was nine years into his tenure. Even so, there are plenty of athletes to go around in the state of Florida. Your Alabama argument holds a lot of water. I would probably give the not to Chan Galey and Paul Johnson for locking up some of the excess talent in Georgia, as Richt was going to get his. Western North Carolina is very fertile recruiting ground for UT and I do percieve that Butch has made some difference there. I don't really believe that Arkansas is a major recruiting ground for UT and Arkansas only has 42 players from in-state, with a pretty broad recruiting area.

Hmmm that's interesting. I can't really check at work, but I can't remember off the top of my head any player that Clemson has had to seriously battle Tennessee for. We go head to head with UGA, and Florida all the time.....Bama and Auburn a lot as well. Seems like Tennessee should be there too, but they aren't....

Hmmm that's interesting. I can't really check at work, but I can't remember off the top of my head any player that Clemson has had to seriously battle Tennessee for. We go head to head with UGA, and Florida all the time.....Bama and Auburn a lot as well. Seems like Tennessee should be there too, but they aren't....

Not anymore. Used to be.

back to the original thread topic, i am certain grobe will get consideration for psu for several reasons:
(1) they need an ultra clean coach who does not put up with nonsense;
(2) they need a coach to replace a legend - a bridge.
(3) they need a coach who will be able to compete with less than the top recruits as PSU's next 2-3 recruiting classes at least will not be blue-chip

Grobe will easily coach another 5-7 years. He meets all of the criteria above. He can keep PSU in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten to allow them to find their next big time coach when the program is firmly re-established around 2017 or so. Their next hire is not going to be about W-L record or coaching philosophy. It's about all of the same things that Grobe is strongest in.

It fits. I don't know if he'll be the guy, but he'll be a guy that's talked about.

Joyner's very strong academic background seems to underline the priority set. With Neinas now working for the Big XII, I wonder who the search firm of choice is these days.

I'd suspect Penn State wouldn't go after Grobe unless they were positive he would accept. His track record should lead them to think he won't. They really can't afford anyone turning down the job

I'd suspect Penn State wouldn't go after Grobe unless they were positive he would accept. His track record should lead them to think he won't. They really can't afford anyone turning down the job

I thought that's what a search firm was for.

Tudor has been trying to link Grobe to every other job opening in America since the day he got to Wake.

back to the original thread topic, i am certain grobe will get consideration for psu for several reasons:
(1) they need an ultra clean coach who does not put up with nonsense;
(2) they need a coach to replace a legend - a bridge.
(3) they need a coach who will be able to compete with less than the top recruits as PSU's next 2-3 recruiting classes at least will not be blue-chip

Grobe will easily coach another 5-7 years. He meets all of the criteria above. He can keep PSU in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten to allow them to find their next big time coach when the program is firmly re-established around 2017 or so. Their next hire is not going to be about W-L record or coaching philosophy. It's about all of the same things that Grobe is strongest in.

Exactly. Grobe's been a popular pick before. In this case, the big time program desperately NEEDS a coach like Grobe.

On Grobe's end there are clear negatives; however, there are a few positives most big time programs do not offer.
(1) He'd be coaching under a large shadow, but the power of that shadow has diminished considerably. It's not like situations he'd find himself in most big time programs.
(2) Penn State isn't starved for success or completely used to success. He wouldn't be expected to win right away.
(3) He would be able to bring in his whole staff and likely build up other aspects of the program from scratch.
(4) Age doesn't seem to be an issue for Penn State. He'd be able to stay as long as he wants as long as he is successful. He'd probably be able to name his successor if things go well. This is Grobe's last chance to coach a top program.

caulton tudor references grobe as a strong possibility at PSU in today's MD preview.

Carleton Tudor is an idiot. Why pay attention to what he writes now. PSU will be looking/hoping for long term, not an extended interim coach which Grobe would be. Plus Grobe's seeming aversion to recruit in the Northeast and with no connections or record of success there, this would be a big negative.

caulton tudor references grobe as a strong possibility at PSU in today's MD preview.

That's seems like a little bit of an exaggeration to me. Here is the direct quote from the preview: "Two more wins for Wake (5-5, 4-3 ACC) - Vanderbilt is up next - and it can officially be said that Jim Grobe has his groove back. Plenty of Penn State fans are watching and talking, too. Maryland (2-8, 1-5) should do its part. Deacs, 28-17."

If PSU hired Grobe the students would riot again. He's not nearly as attractive a hire as in 2007. The "big program" ship has sailed, IMO.

Back