• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chances on Grobe to Penn State?

And again, I will state that all of those perks were part of his retirement package WITH THE UNIVERSITY. I think the fact that Joe didn't even give him an office in the Lasch Building is very telling. This was a coach who was given ALL the credit for beating Miami in the Fiesta Bowl. I asked for specific reports of his involvement with the football program. I haven't seen any yet, but would like to hear about them if they are out there.

Another tidbit that has come out today is that Corbett received significant campaign contributions from some big donors at Second Mile.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I think this thing will turn out to be much bigger than Paterno and McQueary.

Just curious, do you have any specific ties to Penn State or just feel Joe Pa was mistreated?

Offer Dave Christensen, hope he says yes.

There is really a lack of experienced head coaching timber in the non AQ ranks right now other than the guys that just aren't moving (like Chris Ault).

what about Houston HC? looks to be a decent candidate. would he move?

Sumlin wouldn't really count as "experienced" even though he's older than I though. This is his 4th season at Houston. He is 47 though. Gotta think he'd be a top candidate for any top job which means he wouldn't settle for Penn State.

what about Houston HC? looks to be a decent candidate. would he move?

To Wake? Heck no. Houston will probably be in the Big East in the next year or two, plus he would probably get offers from schools that could offer more anyway.

Ole Miss and Arizona are already open. North Carolina is practically open. Good chance Tennessee is looking. If their collapse continues there is a *chance* Arizona State is in the market...all of those could have interest in Sumlin. He's one of the top commodities on the market and all of those schools could likely offer more than Wake.

Grobe had never won the MAC, had been at Ohio for 6 years and only even finished 2nd in the MAC East once. 8-3 was his best year, but he actually didn't get hired until 3 years later.

The two guys I look at that have some experience and have improved poor programs but aren't on the marquee for the big names yet are Christensen and FIU's Mario Cristobal.

I think Grobe makes perfect sense at PSU. It'll buy them a year or three of a stable program before making a splash hire after an older, respected coach has restored some of its reputation.

But I don't see PSU shelling out $3M to get Grobe.

I thing Grobe may very well be in the mix, but probably not in the top 2 or 3. Tony Dungy is a name that I have seen out there. Never realized he is only 55years old. They will certainly talk to Urban Meyer, but I doubt he will consider it.

If he didn't have the Bears on a 4-game winning streak (and a very favorable schedule the rest of the way), someone like Lovie Smith would be a possibility, too. He had a lot of college coaching experience.

Good call on Dungy. Didn't realize he was 55 either. Caldwell is 56. I hope next time Wake has an opening, Wellman or whoever the AD is reaches out to Dungy to ask him about the coaches he likes out there.

I thing Grobe may very well be in the mix, but probably not in the top 2 or 3. Tony Dungy is a name that I have seen out there. Never realized he is only 55years old. They will certainly talk to Urban Meyer, but I doubt he will consider it.

Urban Meyer = Ohio State or nowhere.

Does Dungy have any interest in being a college coach, in recruiting, in pandering to boosters, and all the other unique things about being a college coach? Sounds good in theory, but Dungy has never ever been a college coach. I'd want someone to step into this job with experience, that can put together an experienced college coaching staff and make the job his.

Good chance Tennessee is looking.

borat_not.jpg

Good call on Dungy. Didn't realize he was 55 either. Caldwell is 56. I hope next time Wake has an opening, Wellman or whoever the AD is reaches out to Dungy to ask him about the coaches he likes out there.

Dungy liked Caldwell. A lot. Maybe we put that call on hold.

Petterass,

Are you using that in the spirit of Borat as well, that is to say in completely incorrect context?

I cannot imagine UT-Knoxville is going to stick with a coach that wins them one SEC game, as will probably end up being the case. Two at most. It will take wins in the last two games to keep this from being the worst SEC record since Johnny Majors' first year. The last time Tennessee didn't win a league game was 1943, and they have a pretty good excuse for that. The last time before that was 1924.

23, 12, 7, 6, 3, 7. Those aren't lottery numbers.

The Vols are a home underdog to VANDERBILT.

If Dooley doesn't beat Vandy, I think he'll be gone. I know the AD has said otherwise but money talks and the money that's paying his salary won't want to pay it anymore. They looked like shit against Arkansas. That punt return was a sad display that serves as a microcosm for the Tennessee program right now.

I think Dooley gets one more year. However if he doesn't go at least 4-4 in the SEC next season, with a win over one of the big teams, he's toast.

Whatever. Dooley inherited a disaster and lost several recruits after Kiffin left. And maybe you can explain to me how they're going to get a better coach than him after firing a Hall of Fame coach and then firing another guy after only giving him two years. Additionally, they did both of these things within five years.

By the way, I like the pet name.

Petterass,

Are you using that in the spirit of Borat as well, that is to say in completely incorrect context?

I cannot imagine UT-Knoxville is going to stick with a coach that wins them one SEC game, as will probably end up being the case. Two at most. It will take wins in the last two games to keep this from being the worst SEC record since Johnny Majors' first year. The last time Tennessee didn't win a league game was 1943, and they have a pretty good excuse for that. The last time before that was 1924.

23, 12, 7, 6, 3, 7. Those aren't lottery numbers.

The Vols are a home underdog to VANDERBILT.

If Dooley doesn't beat Vandy, I think he'll be gone. I know the AD has said otherwise but money talks and the money that's paying his salary won't want to pay it anymore. They looked like shit against Arkansas. That punt return was a sad display that serves as a microcosm for the Tennessee program right now.

You make good points, but I think UT wants some semblance of coaching stability. They'll give him another year. Zook lasted 2 and a half, and UF is way more intense than UT.

Whatever. Dooley inherited a disaster and lost several recruits after Kiffin left. And maybe you can explain to me how they're going to get a better coach than him after firing a Hall of Fame coach and then firing another guy after only giving him two years. Additionally, they did both of these things within five years.

By the way, I like the pet name.

They weren't this bad last year, and its not like their recruiting is going great -- middle of the pack in the SEC. And recruits won't be an excuse against Vandy.

That "disaster" was better under Kiffin than since Dooley has taken over.

If UT doesn't get rid of him, it will be a mistake because he's never going to be any good in the SEC. Living off his daddy's name.

You make good points, but I think UT wants some semblance of coaching stability. They'll give him another year. Zook lasted 2 and a half, and UF is way more intense than UT.

Zook was also better and had better recruiting.

There's really very little reason to feel positively about UT athletics as a whole right now. A loss to Vandy is going to have the money folks roaring.

Zook was also better and had better recruiting.

There's really very little reason to feel positively about UT athletics as a whole right now. A loss to Vandy is going to have the money folks roaring.

Zook was lol bad, so that's saying something.

Zook was lol bad, so that's saying something.

Zook lost as many or fewer games in 3 years (14) than Dooley might in two (13 today).

0-6 in the SEC really says it. If that becomes 0-7, Dooley may want to move into a secured bunker.

How the hell does a 4 win season in the WAC get you the Tennessee job anyway? Just a horrible hire from the start.

I know I speak for all Vandy fans when I say I hope Dooley coaches as long as he wants.

Back