• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chances on Grobe to Penn State?

Don't think he'll be a serious candidate, but I fully expect Grobe's name to be mentioned in the media as a possible "bridge" coach if it looks like the program needs 3-5 years of tranquility/stability before making a splash for a "big-time" coach.

Sure, why not? He's been an assistant there forever and he built a really good defense that is the best part of that team. There's no doubting his qualifications as he was obviously the most qualified guy on the staff whane Paterno was dismissed and probably would have gotten the job soon anyway. He had nothing to do with the scandal.

It's also a no-lose situation for the administration. If he wins, great. He's showed that Penn State is bigger than the scandal. If he loses, make a clean break and start over. It's the same strategy that Penn State would have had if Paterno had keeled over and died anyway.

I'll also remind you that Penn State currently has no President or Athletic Director, so there's no one there to competently lead a coaching search or make the commensurate promises to a candidate.

As long as Bradley doesn't totally screw up the rest of the season, the job is his. He needs to get rid of Jay Paterno though. That guy sucks.

Bradley worked on Sandusky's defensive staff for close to 20 years. Despite the fact that he's obviously otherwise qualified, I'm not sure they want to deal with that cloud continuing to hang over the program.

They cannot retain Bradley, but don't see Grobe as a serious candidate.

So who is then?

I just went through the Phil Steele looking for names, and I only see a few head coaches that I would put above him that have the kind of spotless record they're going to have to have and wouldn't have to be completely insane to take the job.

Calhoun is one. Maybe Pat Fitzgerald. I would say Paul Johnson maybe but I thought he had a date rapey QB at Navy, plus it's questionable whether he'd leave GT for PSU right now. Mike London says he doesn't want the job. Don't know how his background checks out but Larry Fedora would probably be interested, as it looks like USM is going to be out of the musical chairs game conference-wise.

Pat Hill? Frank Solich? Not sure either of those names are more attractive than Grobe, and that's pretty much what I've got for a list that doesn't include assistants, and I think PSU is gonna need an experienced hand.

Five years ago, Grobe would be one of the Top 3 choices. At 59/60 yos they won't go after him.

I agree with KA here. If the Board of Trustees want to show they have institutional control, they'll go after an established head coach who could fill his staff with trustworthy people who aren't tainted by the Penn State mess. Hiring a young coach would not make the point that they're on track. Also hiring an established coach shows that the job is still attractive. If they had to go for a lower tier coordinator, it would show the job is in major decline.

If Wake does lose Grobe, I know where I'd be looking for a replacement. Wyoming.

There is no major, traditional powerhouse program which will look for a coach who takes knees down at halftime with a minute on the clock and three time outs. Grobe's safe in Winston.

There's a HUGE difference in KEEPING a legend and hiring someone who is unlikely to be at you university for more than 5-7 years.[/QUOTE]

Please explain Buzz then.....

The AD knew the program was in the toilet and needed someone to stop the bleeding.

Once Stevens said no, this decision was made.

Also football is vastly different than basketball. in basketball you can turn a program quicker.

Most of the names he has that I didn't are probably not realistic.

But I'm always wrong and don't know anything. :p

Also football is vastly different than basketball. in basketball you can turn a program quicker.

Off topic, but I don't think this is true. Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, and Gene Chizik all won BCS championships in their second year after taking over big-time programs stuck in mediocrity. Nick Saban did it in his third year at Alabama. I'm not counting Les Miles (2nd year) and Larry Coker (1st year), since they were replacing guys who went to the NFL rather than someone who retired/was fired/was asked to leave.

Over the same timeframe, only Roy Williams and Bill Self have won with similar rapidity. Tubby Smith falls into the Miles/Coker category. The majority of winning coaches in the last 20 years for men's basketball are either winning repeats (Roy Williams, Ratface, Jim Calhoun) or were at their school for awhile before winning (Billy Donovan, Jim Boeheim, Gary Williams).

It's easier to win a NC in football at an established school that cheats like those schools do.

Definitely not true, if you're taking over a program with great talent. It's harder to turn around a basketball program because it's tougher to retain elite talent. In football, a coach could be the only real thing holding great talent back and a new coach will still have that great talent for another 2 or 3 years before their own recruits take over. In basketball, it's possible the talent that was already there just goes pro before the new coach comes in.

Back