• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston brunch recommendations

Blind Tiger actually has a very good brunch. Red Drum in Mt. Pleasant is one of my favorites, but might be iffy for a 2 year old. Agree with Poogan's Porch and Poe's as viable options as well. Fleet Landing would be fine, but the food sucks.

Fat Hen on John's Island is certainly kid friendly, but a little further away. Food is legit though.

Fat Hen, Red Drum, Magnolia's, Hall's, Virginia's on King, Carolina's etc. I have never been a fan of Poogan's Porch brunch. I'm not sure how kid friendly a lot of these are. Red drum might not be.

Poogan's isn't my favorite either, but it's definitely good enough for Sunday brunch with a two-year old and pretty kid friendly.

Yeah, it is for a 2 year old. I also recommend Amen Street if you like seafood. Again, I don't know how kid friendly it is.

Hominy grill has a great brunch menu, all of the food there is fantastic...should be fine for the kids, maybe sitting outside in their outdoor seating area if the weather's nice

Forgot about Jestine's Kitchen as well.

This is one of my favorite Charleston restaurants. Haven't been in a few years but IIRC they don't take reservations so you either have to get luck or wait in line.

This is one of my favorite Charleston restaurants. Haven't been in a few years but IIRC they don't take reservations so you either have to get luck or wait in line.

Really??? I mean, it's really good ol'southern cooking, but I don't know if I've ever seen someone put it on their favorites list.

But yeah, you're going to have to wait in line or get lucky.

Really??? I mean, it's really good ol'southern cooking, but I don't know if I've ever seen someone put it on their favorites list.

But yeah, you're going to have to wait in line or get lucky.

Yes, really. It's a great place to get some really quality Southern cooking at a pretty reasonable price IIRC. Whenever I was in Charleston on my student budget, I wanted to eat there (assuming the line wasn't wrapped around the block. Also, it's a nice change of pace if you're in the mood for something besides seafood. Their menu is predominantly lowcountry food, which I couldn't really get when I was in Winston.

Edited to say: cookout, I wasn't being argumentative, but I'm also giving up the boards for Lent so if I don't respond again, that's why. All of the food in Charleston is great.

Haha, gotcha. I've eaten there at least 40+ times so I do like it, just wouldn't personally put it up there at the top. :p

Agreed on all the food in Charleston being awesome though. Such a great city for that.

Jestine's is just a tourist trap now. You have to wait in a line outside most hours of the day, and they get you in and get you out pretty quickly. I liked it a lot better before they were on tv. That's usually what happens though when places get "famous."

Oh, and I did forget about Hominy Grill. They have great food. I really wouldn't recommend Jestine's over any of the other places I listed unless you really want a meat and 2 veggie plate. Depending what you want, I can tell you a place better than Jestines.

Jestine's is just a tourist trap now. You have to wait in a line outside most hours of the day, and they get you in and get you out pretty quickly. I liked it a lot better before they were on tv. That's usually what happens though when places get "famous."

Oh, and I did forget about Hominy Grill. They have great food. I really wouldn't recommend Jestine's over any of the other places I listed unless you really want a meat and 2 veggie plate. Depending what you want, I can tell you a place better than Jestines.

this, and wouldn't recommend Jestine's with a 2yo given the wait

Oh, and I did forget about Hominy Grill. They have great food.I really wouldn't recommend Jestine's over any of the other places I listed unless you really want a meat and 2 veggie plate. Depending what you want, I can tell you a place better than Jestines.

Think it's kind of funny that you mention Hominy, since it was on tv and got "famous" in the same episode as Jestines, iirc. :thumbsup:

But yeah, it's easily my favorite breakfast spot in Chucktown.

Many of the places already mentioned are really good (although I personally disagree on Jestine's and California Dreaming), but, given the kid-friendly requirement, I have to add a vote to Poe's. If you aren't in the mood for a burger, the fish tacos are really good. If the wait is too long, you can just go across the street to Home Team (bottomless mimosas for $10 I think), Dunleavy's (best wings in Charleston, IMHO), or Taco Mamacita (meh).

I love all of that, but it's not worth the drive from where's they're staying.

Once brunch is over, drive to savannah to see the great containerport!!!! /demonbeck

Think it's kind of funny that you mention Hominy, since it was on tv and got "famous" in the same episode as Jestines, iirc. :thumbsup:

But yeah, it's easily my favorite breakfast spot in Chucktown.

Oh, I know. :p

I guess they handled the fame better. I remember going to Jestines years ago before Rachel Ray did the TV show and it was delicious, but since then, it has dropped off and it has that awful line outside all the time.

Thanks for all of the feedback!! I think we are going to try Poogan's Porch. As much as I would love to drive out to Sullivan's, I plan on being severely hung over and really don't want to travel any further than 5 min away. We need to go somewhere that either takes reservations or will not have a line.

Back