• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston Dining/Attractions

Great feedback, much appreciated. We will be there Friday - Monday, with the wedding on taking up most of Saturday. Doubt the beach or other islands are in the cards for us at this point, though I might keep my car rental reservation until we solidify our plans.

We are staying at the Grand Bohemian Hotel, anyone know anything about this place? It appears to be brand new, got good reviews on TA & we got a really good deal because of the Sunday night stay-over. I was shocked at how expensive the hotels are in the historic district & felt fortunate to find the deal that I did. Given the short amount of time that we'll be there and that good food & some historical sightseeing are probably most important to us, is it worth it to stay in the historic district?

That's a good spot; you'll be close to most of the good stuff down town. Easy walk/uber to all the best places.

You're going to enjoy yourself. I work right by that hotel. Looks nice. Grab a pedicab or walk to upper king for supper and drinks one night. There really isn't a historic district. The whole place is historic.

Depends on where you're staying. Hard to fuck up raw oysters. I wouldn't go to Pearls because they're a chain of four and they have one in Charlotte and I'd probably never go to the on in Charlotte because it's in Ballantyne. Leon's is out of the way, but looks solid (have not been there). The Ordinary is my favorite in town. I'll defer.

Leon's.

Lewis BBQ opens tomorrow. Super pumped. Went to a few of his pop ups at Revelry last summer, just fantastic food. My wife and I saw him out a few months ago and after telling him how excited we were for his permanent spot to open he bought us beers and talked for 10 or 15 minutes

Depends on where you're staying. Hard to fuck up raw oysters. I wouldn't go to Pearls because they're a chain of four and they have one in Charlotte and I'd probably never go to the on in Charlotte because it's in Ballantyne. Leon's is out of the way, but looks solid (have not been there). The Ordinary is my favorite in town. I'll defer.

I am staying out at Folly, but coming into town 1 day for some oysters and booze. Where exactly is Leon's in relation to downtown?

I-26 and King. Not walking distance to much else. Darling is closer to the busy area of North King.

Spend a little more $ and go to the Ordinary.

Been there twice, I don't think it's anything special. Good oysters, but that's not special as you can get great oysters at a lot of places in charleston for less.
We go to Amen Street a lot for oysters....pretty much the same as pearlz but you can get a reservation (i don't think you can at Pearlz)

Pearlz takes reservations, but is pretty well booked.

THEY OPENED A GOOD BURGER IN CHARLESTON???

Good-Burger-10-31-10-2.jpg

Been there twice, I don't think it's anything special. Good oysters, but that's not special as you can get great oysters at a lot of places in charleston for less.
We go to Amen Street a lot for oysters....pretty much the same as pearlz but you can get a reservation (i don't think you can at Pearlz)

You ordered the wrong things then !

Leon's Fine Poultry & Oysters is a superstar.

Also, I've been going to Dunleavy's Pub on Sullivans Island for 20 years and love the place. But, it's currently in the toilet. Apparently the manager, who is married to a Dunleavy, is going through a divorce and the place is going to hell. He looks like he's lost about 20 pounds. Servers are quitting, nobody in the kitchen speaks English. My meal took forever to get to the table and my burger was way overcooked. They didn't have chili and we din't find out until the plates were delivered. Avoid.

Also, SALT has closed and will be a Mexican restaurant.

Obstinate Daughter is still killing it, but some of the people who work there are a little on the obnoxious side. Mainly at the front door and behind the bar. Servers are still cool.

Back