• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston

Dammit, 2&2, you interrupted the inevitable moonzzzz echo chamber with gaybone, Monica, etc.

Probably something at FIG. Reservations can only be made starting 30 days out. I have known people to get lucky with bar seating though.

The best tasting thing in Charleston (and the world) is the sushi/oyster appetizer at Cypress.
From the list Biff sent out, I would avoid Indaco...been there twice...mediocre food (for Charleston standards) and poor service....I hear a reasonable amount of griping from locals about indaco as well.

Last edited:
The best tasting thing in Charleston (and the world) is the sushi/oyster appetizer at Cypress.
From the list Biff sent out, I would avoid Indaco...been there twice times...mediocre food (for Charleston standards) and poor service....I hear a reasonable amount of griping from locals about indaco as well.

thanks

I'm hitting up Edmund's Oast for the first time over Memorial Day (Sunday, May 24, 8 PM, Tannen Party).

The one's I want to go back to again and again are: FIG, The McIntosh, McCrady's, Husk.

Honorable Mention to The Ordinary.

Charleston Grill is great too, but it's kind of dark in there.

Plenty of other places you can get a great meal, but don't really fit the bill for quintessential Charleston dining experience, like Peninsula Grill.

Overrun with tourists for pretty decent food: Magnolia's, SNOBs.

I still haven't been to Cypress.

Pics from Edmund's Oast

EdmundsOast-2.0.jpg

EdmundsOast-3.0.jpg

Last edited:
You mean Halls. Hal's is in Atlanta. It's a high end steak house. Pretty sure there's some discussion of it on the other thread.

Hall's is fantastic
It's quite expensive, but worth it
It's better than Oak (Nothing wrong with Oak, but IMO, it's no Hall's)

Here's yelp a review of halls from just a few days ago. Now, it's in there with tons of five-star reviews, but you can find reviews of Halls like this one everywhere. Apparently the owner greets you at the door, flatters you and your party, and as long as you behave exactly as he expects and stroke his ego as you leave, you're still awesome. But otherwise, you're pond scum.

(preface: I worked in the service industry for 6 years and have been a team member of three nationally recognized restaurants in this country, including 2 James Beard winning restaurants in Charleston.)
Last Saturday evening, the 25th of April, a friend and I walked into Hall's Chophouse at 9:30 in the evening and asked for a table for 2 for dinner. We were immediately seated(albeit in a back room), much to our own surprise and gratitude. Once seated it took more than a few uncomfortable minutes for our server to take our drink orders which was followed by a night of delays in service and loud bachelor parties at neighboring tables which, in all, attributed to an overall less-than-great experience- which in and of itself would not warrant either a scathing letter or a reason to not return to said restaurant. After settling a bill( that would amount to a small car payment) we made our way out and met Billy Hall at the bottom of the staircase. When asked how my experience was I replied, "Honestly Billy, I was a little disappointed and hope that my next experience will be better." to which I was responded with, "Well man, We're just not that good here at Hall's- why don't you try out some other restaurant next time.".... I was shocked to have been spoken to in such a manner and as if that were not enough, he continued to follow my dinner partner and myself outside and up the street whilst pointing and screaming at other restaurants "we ought to go to rather than Hall's".... This would have been enough as is and had already sent me into fits the night of BUT with a weeks worth of recovery time I actively decided that perhaps it was just a bad night and maybe Billy had a few too many house-fireball-shots (as is custom to take with his "favorite housewives from myrtle beach" or other patrons of such) and had spoken in fault. As such, on my way home tonight from a lovely dinner, at one of the places Billy Hall so nicely suggested I go rather than his own establishment,(Friday the 24th of April, 2015) I passed Halls and happened to catch Billy, himself, at the door. Upon greeting him with a smile and shaking his hand(as any good true- southern man might) I asked if he perhaps remembered the way in which he spoke to me the previous weekend. Billy's response, while not appropriate for public print, will forever stick in my brain. Along with a foray of more than mild language I was informed that I should be grateful just to have been allowed to eat in said restaurant and then told that if I needed to handle something he(Billy) would be happy to "meet me in the back" and "kick my ass". Not only will I never spend another cent at any of the Hall's family establishments, I plan on carrying this story with me as long as it stands in my mind. I appreciate your time and pray you enjoy this shocking tale as much as I did during it's occurrence.

^ I love Hall's and they've never been anything but obnoxiously polite to me, but for some reason I don't doubt anything about that review

I can second Lucca, although it's definitely in a shadier part of the penninsula

Last edited:
Back