• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charleston

I know one of the bartenders. It's in the same vein as Pearlz

Yeah, I'd agree with this. The only time I've been there was back in July, mostly for oysters and they were plenty good, pretty much like pearlz except you can get a reservation (pearlz doesn't take reservations). I can't even remember what I had other than oysters, the food was adequate but not amazing (for inflated Charleston standards)

I hate to taint this thread with such a question, but I figured some of you familiar with Charleston might also be familiar with Cola. Any dinner and brunch recs for Cola that anyone wants to throw out there?

I hate to taint this thread with such a question, but I figured some of you familiar with Charleston might also be familiar with Cola. Any dinner and brunch recs for Cola that anyone wants to throw out there?

My experience with Columbia is that my wife lived there for 4 months while we were dating (3 years ago). So while I don't have tons of experience, I do have some. I went down there just about every weekend of those 4 months and we didn't have one really good meal the entire time. I mean, there were places that weren't terrible, but pretty average. The best meal I had there was at an oyster place that was right behind Pearlz in the Vista (even he Pearlz in Cola is subpar)...can't remember the name of it, but it was a dive. We sat at a counter and ate oysters as the guys behind the counter shucked them.
The places that the Columbians rave about are adequate at best. Unfortunately for Columbia, anyone with any taste/money goes to Charleston most weekends, so the demand for good restaurants is pretty low and the people that are stuck in Columbia on the weekends are college students and people that think Blue Marlin is killer seafood (i.e. Lake Trash)

Last edited:
Corporate office is in Cola, we had Blue Marlin catered last time we were there

Lol

Dianne's on Devine isn't bad

Brunch:
Motor Supply Co.
Bourbon
Michael's
DiPrato's
Eggs Up Grill
Cafe Strudel

Dinner:
Motor Supply Co.
Bourbon
Cola's
TakoSushi
Cantina 76
Publix House
Mr. Friendly's
Cellar on Greene
Gervais and Vine

The Columbia restaurant scene isn't anywhere close to as good as Charleston's, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's getting better. Also, there's a wine and beer store on North Main St. called Vino Garage that's well worth a few minutes of your time. The guy that owns it is extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and his prices are better than anywhere else you're going to find.

Last edited:
I had a very good dinner recently at Mr. Friendly's. What is the name of the restaurant across the St. from the downtown Marriott? Wine bar restaurant. I just had a glass of wine at the bar, but the menu looked good and it was packed.

Back