• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlie Harrison R.I.P.

Oh no - sad to hear. He had to only be in his mid to late 40s, right?

Did not have the pleasure of knowing him personally but he always seemed positive and a good teammate on the Court. PRayers to his family and hope he rests in peace.

Played with Childress, IIRC. Transferred from Georgetown, like Anthony Tucker...

Played with Childress, IIRC. Transferred from Georgetown, like Anthony Tucker...

They did play together. Also, Charlie Harrison did the second semester/first semester sit out, transferring in January 1992. Chill was rehabbing from knee surgery 91-92. Spring of 1992, practice was a nightmare for Wake's starting guards, working against Harrison and a nearly healed Chill. Games were easier.

ETA: Wake starting guards were Derrick McQueen and Anthony Tucker.

Sad news about his passing. Condolences to his family, friends and all the Deacon Nation.

Last edited:
They did play together. Also, Charlie Harrison did the second semester/first semester sit out, transferring in January 1992. Chill was rehabbing from knee surgery 91-92. Spring of 1992, practice was a nightmare for Wake's starting guards, working against Harrison and a nearly healed Chill. Games were easier.

ETA: Wake starting guards were Derrick McQueen and Anthony Tucker.

Sad news about his passing. Condolences to his family, friends and all the Deacon Nation.

Was that the lineup of McQueen, Tucker, King, Rogers, T Owens?

Harrison played for WF in 1992-3 and 1993-4.

The 1992-3 roster:

Rodney Rogers JR F 6-7 21.2 Pts, 7.4 Reb, 2.3 Ast
Randolph Childress SO G 6-2 19.7 Pts, 2.8 Reb, 4.2 Ast
Trelonnie Owens JR F 6-8 11.1 Pts, 5.9 Reb, 2.0 Ast
Derrick Hicks SR C 6-9 5.7 Pts, 9.0 Reb, 1.5 Ast
Charles Harrison JR G 6.1 Pts, 1.6 Reb, 3.7 Ast
Travis Banks SO F 6-6 5.3 Pts, 2.7 Reb, 1.1 Ast
Marc Blucas JR G 6-3 4.3 Pts, 1.6 Reb, 1.1 Ast
David Rasmussen SR F 6-7 1.7 Pts, 0.7 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Steve Rich FR F 6-9 2.4 Pts, 3.4 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Stacey Castle FR G 6-1 1.5 Pts, 0.1 Reb, 0.7 Ast
Rusty LaRue FR G 6-2 1.4 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Barry Canty FR G 6-4 1.2 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Bobby Fitzgibbons FR F 6-8 0.8 Pts, 0.9 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Stan King JR C 7-0 0.5 Pts, 0.7 Reb, 0.0 Ast

1993-4 Roster:

Player Class Pos Height Summary
Randolph Childress JR G 6-2 19.6 Pts, 3.4 Reb, 3.9 Ast
Trelonnie Owens SR F 6-8 15.1 Pts, 6.8 Reb, 1.3 Ast
Tim Duncan FR C 6-11 9.8 Pts, 9.6 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Charles Harrison SR G 8.7 Pts, 2.2 Reb, 2.6 Ast
Marc Blucas SR G 6-3 6.4 Pts, 3.4 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Travis Banks JR F 6-6 6.0 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 1.0 Ast
Rusty LaRue SO G 6-2 4.7 Pts, 1.5 Reb, 0.4 Ast
Stacey Castle SO G 6-1 2.4 Pts, 0.7 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Barry Canty SO G 6-4 1.2 Pts, 0.8 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Bobby Fitzgibbons SO F 6-8 2.3 Pts, 2.0 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Marc Schoone FR C 7-0 1.3 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Stan King SR C 7-0 0.5 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Matt Simpson FR G 6-3 5.0 Pts, 1.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Marc Scott FR G 6-2 0.0 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 1.0

Both teams made the NCAA Tourney. The 1994 team advanced to the Sweet 16.

Last edited:
Was that the lineup of McQueen, Tucker, King, Rogers, T Owens?

Almost. Phil Medlin got 21 starts. Owens none. But, Trelonnie Owens was fifth in minutes played. He played in only 22 games. Marc Blucas got 10 starts.

FWIW, am a GDO fan, but the recruiting Class of 1992.. yikes:

Steve Rich
Stacy Castle
Bobby Fitzgibbons
Barry Canty
Rusty (who was recruited as a dual/tri sport athlete)

IIRC, Canty was the most highly regarded, but suffered a major injury in HS

Duncan in 1993 made up for a lot of swings and misses.

Steve Rich
Stacy Castle
Bobby Fitzgibbons
Barry Canty

Steve Rich was also highly regarded Center. But he played little and left quickly.

Steve Rich
Stacy Castle
Bobby Fitzgibbons
Barry Canty

GDO a couple of hours ago to me:

"We knew there was a missing link, we needed one more backcourt player and the year of the recruitment, heading into that year, we struck out on a couple of really good players we were after."

Steve Rich was also highly regarded Center. But he played little and left quickly.

Yeah - I think Rich was the most highly regarded of that group by far but got homesick and went back to SE FL before his first season ended. Fitzgibbons had some hype in that he broke all of Christian Laettner's scoring records at whatever private school they both went to up in the Buffalo area, and I believe Wake beat out some decent schools to sign him, but I don't think he lasted more than 2 years at Wake. Castle was supposed to be a flashy NYC guard but never played with much consistency and also transferred after a couple of seasons.

I don't recall Canty being that highly regarded nor getting injured in HS - though I could be totally wrong about that. I did go see him play a game his senior season of high school (Independence vs East Meck I believe), and I wasn't overly impressed. He wasn't terrible - just didn't dominate average high schoolers like you would expect a future ACC player to do. Pretty good shooter, slight of build, and fairly average athleticism. If I'm not mistaken, he was a very good student and ultimately quit the Wake team to just concentrate on his studies. So basically the only one of that class to actually play 4 years was Rusty - who went on a football scholarship and was pretty much on after thought for that class. I still remember that the Poop Sheet had him rated as the absolute lowest recruit of all the incoming ACC recruits that year. And then the dude ended up playing in the NBA.

Last edited:
man, this is sad. Charlie Harrison was at wake the same time I was. Not much of a shooter, but had a nice floor game and a steady presence. Didn't need to shoot much when you played with Childress :)

Very sad news.

Always liked Charlie and his game was never exciting, but solid at both ends.

1993-1994 will always bug me since we almost had a VERY strong 8 (or 9?) man rotation (Rodney Rogers, Tim Duncan, Randolph Childress, Tree Owens, Charlie Harrison, Marc Blucas, Scooter Banks, Rusty Larue). I thought Peral (#9) was eligible, but maybe he red-shirted.

With no Rodney (understandable) and a few crap recruiting class moves like taking Canty, Fitzgibbons, Castle, Schoone - just not good players at all, I recall that squad being good, but a clear "what if" squad.

Harrison was solid that year, very solid. Sad to hear this news.

Very sad news.

1993-1994 will always bug me since we almost had a VERY strong 8 (or 9?) man rotation (Rodney Rogers, Tim Duncan, Randolph Childress, Tree Owens, Charlie Harrison, Marc Blucas, Scooter Banks, Rusty Larue). I thought Peral (#9) was eligible, but maybe he red-shirted.

With no Rodney (understandable) and a few crap recruiting class moves like taking Canty, Fitzgibbons, Castle, Schoone - just not good players at all, I recall that squad being good, but a clear "what if" squad.

Yeah. That was a team that probably played up to its potential as much as any of the Odom coached teams. Swept a great Duke team (which made the Final Four, lost to Arkansas in the championship in Charlotte) split the regular season with UNC, lost on a last second shot to UNC in the ACC semis.

Very sad news.

That would have been a very good team.

Back