• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte FC / MLS Thread

2.5B over 10 years? Thats about 5 times the current contract. No blackouts or regional broadcasts - I'm fine with that. Love season ticket holders having access for free too. I'm sure there are cons I'm not thinking about, but it sounds positive to me.

2.5B over 10 years? Thats about 5 times the current contract. No blackouts or regional broadcasts - I'm fine with that. Love season ticket holders having access for free too. I'm sure there are cons I'm not thinking about, but it sounds positive to me.

Cons - less people will watch the league meaning less growth. If you’re not a STH then you have to pay for Apple TV and also the mls app just to watch a game. Yes, it’s a ton of money for the league however MLS will remain a regional league for the next decade minimum.

what's unclear from the announcement is how many fewer games will be on non-app TV, because there will still be some -- these aren't exclusive rights for Apple, just guarantees for streaming all matches

there aren't a ton accessible right now, so not sure it's much of a loss re: casual fans

that said, an effort could/should be made to be better, not just tread water

what's unclear from the announcement is how many fewer games will be on non-app TV, because there will still be some -- these aren't exclusive rights for Apple, just guarantees for streaming all matches

there aren't a ton accessible right now, so not sure it's much of a loss re: casual fans

that said, an effort could/should be made to be better, not just tread water

ESPN and Fox are currently negotiating terms for secondary tv rights. I can’t imagine it being more games on these networks. Will probably be a slight decrease in ESPN/Fox games if apple was smart about negotiations.

From The Athletic article posted above:

“The sources said the league is close to a four-year deal with ESPN for a deal that would put between 23 and 25 regular season games per season on the ESPN family of networks. Under the framework of that deal, ESPN and Apple TV would alternate which network broadcasts MLS Cup over the next four years. The ESPN family of networks is set to broadcast 34 regular season games in 2022.”

If Apple was smart they negotiated a cut of any secondary games that are broadcast. If the league was smart they didn't fully tie their hands on distribution. Regardless word is this agreement is going to see each team more than double their TV money cut in the first year vs. the last year of current deals.

no idea the credibility of the source but pulled from a Variety article speculating the streaming service will run $20-30 per month

gonna exclude anyone but the already committed fans

Who is VIP+ and where does that estimate come from? The variety article hit a paywall. If MLS really wanted to they could sell games for next to nothing to keep them televised. $250M per year on streaming rights will cover it while they grow the market.

Probably a good signing if they're looking to win Supporter's Shield and MLS Cup this season but I would be hesitant to depend on a guy who has shown he's happier to ride the bench making $$$ than go be a leader for slightly less. Not sure how that fits into a side who is already top of the table.

are they still putting guys in protocol for exposure even if vaxxed?

pretty silly if so

went to the RSL game last Saturday. decent enough stadium but oof there is nothing around the stadium to do since it is in the burbs. Austin crushed the stadium location with all the surrounding breweries.

no idea the credibility of the source but pulled from a Variety article speculating the streaming service will run $20-30 per month

gonna exclude anyone but the already committed fans

That's an insane price point. But local broadcasts and ESPN will still persist. As a season ticket holder you can get it for free. But that's obviously a drop in the ocean limited of total population.

Seems like the league is playing it safe inking a 10 year deal four years before hosting the World Cup. They could bet on themselves instead. But I guess this is a take the money now league.

Back