• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte vs. Richmond WTF

drew

Reaction score
That was the craziest end of a game I've ever seen. Probably the worst officiating I've seen. Technical fouls all over the place. On my phone, does anyone have a link?

Just saw the replay on ESPN... absolutely horrific, and I've watched many Duke games.

Countodwn to TheReff telling us how all calls were 100% correct ...

Alright I'll bite...

FT 1-2: No Disagreement
FT 3-4: In regards to the technical, I think the refs were completely right on this. The Richmond kid gives a full shove to the Charlotte player right in front of the ref. Don't tell me you can't call that because there is 5 seconds to go in the game. There was no play on a ball - he was just pissed off and gave a full shove. You can't do that... completely right call there or at least understandable.
FT 5-8: None of us know what Richmond HC was saying and at this point, he's standing at mid-court completely past the line. He was probably given a warning and he didn't stop.

Yeah so I have no problem. That first Richmond kid is a moron...

I don't think it was really a "full out shove" he was looking the other way, had his arm tangled up and then fully extended it with force. After watching it a few more times it was definitely a foul, but to call that a technical is just indefensible. There was no way that there was a shot on the "shooting" foul either. I think that's the one that really sent Mooney over the line.

ETA: I don't know for sure that they called the last one a shooting foul in the end, but that's what set Mooney over the edge. I was just going off what I read on that one. If they did not in fact call the intentional foul with 5 seconds left at mid-court a shooting foul then the Mooney technical makes less sense.

Alright I'll bite...

FT 3-4: In regards to the technical, I think the refs were completely right on this. The Richmond kid gives a full shove to the Charlotte player right in front of the ref. Don't tell me you can't call that because there is 5 seconds to go in the game. There was no play on a ball - he was just pissed off and gave a full shove. You can't do that... completely right call there or at least understandable.
FT 5-8: None of us know what Richmond HC was saying and at this point, he's standing at mid-court completely past the line. He was probably given a warning and he didn't

Agreed; Richmond has no one to blame but themselves.

Alright I'll bite...

FT 5-8: None of us know what Richmond HC was saying and at this point, he's standing at mid-court completely past the line. He was probably given a warning and he didn't stop.

Don't make the refs have to make a call. Don't even give them the opportunity to have to make a judgement call like that. Whatever you think of the refs calls, you can't put it in their hands.

Why has the guy with the Charlotte football helmet avatar not posted yet. Him, and more specifically the reactions to him, crack me up!

Last edited:
Alright I'll bite...

That video left out a part when Richmond tried to foul down 1 to get the ball back... they fouled a Charlotte player at halfcourt. After the whistle the kid threw up a prayer at the rim and they called it a three shot foul. That is when Mooney absolutely went insane.

You see grappling on FT rebounds all the time. As posted on the other thread, the Charlotte player intentionally flopped with a view of getting this outcome.

It doesn't take much to push someone down when that person is falling down on their own

ETA: I don't know for sure that they called the last one a shooting foul in the end, but that's what set Mooney over the edge. I was just going off what I read on that one. If they did not in fact call the intentional foul with 5 seconds left at mid-court a shooting foul then the Mooney technical makes less sense.

I think it went down like this:

Richmond fouled because they were up 3 and that's what you do with 5 seconds left. Mooney doesn't seem to be fired up in regards to anything here - that's what they were trying to do. They didn't account for one of their players being a moron and inexcusably shoving a Charlotte guy right in front of the ref. The video is so obvious it hurts. He full on shoves him then tries to hold his hands up like "Oh not me!" - you never give the ref an excuse to even come close and he opened the door on himself for that to be called... this was when Mooney went apeshit which is where the last 4 FT came from.

Nothing wrong with the refs here and I hate referees more than life. Richmond blew it on their own.

Nah Mooney went apeshit on the next foul call.... it is not in the businessinsider video.

That video left out a part when Richmond tried to foul down 1 to get the ball back... they fouled a Charlotte player at halfcourt. After the whistle the kid threw up a prayer at the rim and they called it a three shot foul. That is when Mooney absolutely went insane.

ahhh I thought the last 4 were on the two technicals... this makes more sense. would be nice to get the whole video...

regardless, I still stick with my call on the first technical.

Back