• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte vs. Richmond WTF

The three point call is bad because if it hadn't been made, they could have made both free throws, Richmond gets the ball back only down 3 (because there would have been no technical. And I don't see them call shooting fouls from halfcourt all the time either.

They spent like 5 minutes reviewing the play so obviously there was something to be reviewed there. I don't think that the ref was thinking about whether or not the ball was through the basket or not when he called the technical, I think he was just calling a T for the action itself, again I could be wrong on that part. Either way you have to give them a couple seconds to stop battling IMO, the guys were going for the ball hard, got tangled up, the Charlotte guy flopped, the Richmond guy put his arm out, and the ref then called a T.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they weren't reviewing whether or not it was a technical - that was already called. They were simply reviewing the order of the shots and talking to the head coaches about who could shoot the shots. They were never "reviewing" whether or not it was a technical.

The three point call is bad because if it hadn't been made, they could have made both free throws, Richmond gets the ball back only down 3 (because there would have been no technical. And I don't see them call shooting fouls from halfcourt all the time either.

Don't get me wrong - bad call there, sure... but that's hardly what cost Richmond the game.

Wow. After watching the full video, the first kid totally whiffs on the intentional foul so they can't call it, then the other kid is already in the air shooting when the collision happens, so that was reasonable as well.

The Williams push and Mooney losing his mind when they were very likely to be in a one possession game were really the bonehead plays.

And who shoots from half court when they are winning with three seconds remaining

Numbers according to one of the first links posted it's a dead ball IF the FT goes in so any foul on that play is a technical. There is nothing to review.

I read that you can call it a flagrant foul, which meant Richmond would have gotten the ball after the Fts.

Wow. After watching the full video, the first kid totally whiffs on the intentional foul so they can't call it, then the other kid is already in the air shooting when the collision happens, so that was reasonable as well.

The Williams push and Mooney losing his mind when they were very likely to be in a one possession game were really the bonehead plays.

They first guy did miss him, but they called it anyway. Whistle is clearly before Charlotte hits second player.

They first guy did miss him, but they called it anyway. Whistle is clearly before Charlotte hits second player.

I wrote that wrong since there was no 2nd guy, after watching it closely he's still on the floor when the contact starts so bullshit call on giving him 3 free throws. But he's only a 70% shooter so good chance he misses 1 of the 3 at least. Dumb as hell for the coach to explode and guarantee the loss.

You guys have the most revisionist eyesight and ears ever...

Watch the NBC video. Tell me at what time the whistle blows and when the contact was... the whistle is in the refs mouth people. Doesn't take too long after the contact to make a whistle noise. No way the whistle blows BEFORE contact.

Thankfully, this didn't happen in our favor today.

Yep. Watch the video again very closely and you will see the Charlotte kid hit the Richmond big, Williams, with a quick shot to the head, so then Williams retaliates and shoves him down. That's why he is Charlotte kid is giddy on the floor laughing. Ref missed the first shot to the head.

BTW, does this affect anyone's thinking on the foul or not foul when up 3 strategy? Small sample size but is there a definitive answer to this when subjective calls can make shooting fouls and stopping the clock can cause wacky things to happen.

i know kp did wrote a pretty thorough blog post which basically said there is no real advantage to doing it either way. i personally like the idea of fouling, but can't get mad at a coach that let's their defense try to make the play.

On the 1st free throw Charlotte player hits Richmond player with elbow to head. Thats a tech for 2 reasons dead ball and elbow to head. Richmond pushes back and that is a tech. Refs didnt call Charlotte techs.
Should have been a tech on Charlotte for the elbow during dead ball and probably an ejection also. Tech on Richmond for push was proper. Foul on "3 point shot" was proper as was tech on Richmond coach.

If I were Richmond I would state this and then inform the league Richmond would not play with any on these 3 refs on floor again.

Wonder if Go Niners has stayed away from the thread because he is embarrassed by the controversial win, or he has been busy banging NYC chicks.

Back