• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chase Fischer

Chase goes basically 0 for several games, it's OK give him a chance.

Tony misses a layup and he's awful.

Tony misses a lot more layups than Chase does 3's. And Tony has shown no consistency/improvement in finishing at the rim.

Chase goes basically 0 for several games, it's OK give him a chance.

Tony misses layups time after time and he's awful.

FIFY

I'm sorry rj, but TC's not an ACC level PG. His decision making is not good enough, his shooting is worse. I realize we don't have any other options at this point, but he misses a ton of layups. Not on the order of Nikita who is an absolute machine at missing layups, but still way too many.

He basically has one move and that's to bull rush the goal, and hopefully not run over anyone on the way there.

I'll give him credit for one thing, he seems to have solved the problem of dribbling toward the baseline and stepping on it. He's better at pulling up short before turning around.

A lot of people said that Parade All American didn't mean squat regarding college ability, but all the Bzz cock-suckers were comparing Chase to Chris Paul and Al Farouq Aminu and are now disappointed that he's playing like the low rated recruit that he was.

He'll get there, but, Parade All American or not, almost all 3 stars are going to take time to develop.

I'm really disappointed with Carson's lack of development. While not commenting on whether it's the player or coach's fault, I thought he'd be much further along than he is. All I've seen so far is that he's slow, can't jump, struggles to secure rebounds, and has no post moves. Seems like another case of an overrated high school player who isn't athletic enough to be a force at this level.

A lot of people said that Parade All American didn't mean squat regarding college ability, but all the Bzz cock-suckers were comparing Chase to Chris Paul and Al Farouq Aminu and are now disappointed that he's playing like the low rated recruit that he was.

He'll get there, but, Parade All American or not, almost all 3 stars are going to take time to develop.

Who the hell compared Chase to CP3 or Farouq?

How much have you been drinking or smoking tonight?

I can't think of anyone who compared Chase to CP or AFA. The fact that he was listed as a Parade AA came as a shock to everyone, and is probably a function of a flawed selection process as much as anything.

The fact is that he played against low level HS competition and put up big numbers because he was expected to shoot a lot. You can see that against a certain level of competition, he might be a step quicker and able to get off shots from lots of places on the court. Put him up against high level competition and he's step slower than everyone else.

He can't create his own shot, and our offense doesn't seem to be able to get him the ball so he can shoot in rhythym. Is that a coaching issue, or just a general lack of talent issue? At this point, I don't what the answer is. Buzzouters says it's all on the coach, the others say it's a lack of talent. At this point, what I do know is if Chase isn't hitting at least 40% from the arc, he's not going to help us much.

Last edited:
its all about taking good shots within the offense. if they don't fall, they don't fall, but over the long run, they will. but then again, i'm drunk, so who knows.

Wake has way to curse shooters.

As good an explanation as any. I no longer put any stock into reports that our recruits are great shooters. I'll say that it won't surprise me if CMM turns out to be a great shooter, but I'll count on it when I see it.

Dozens here/old board didn't give Tony a break last year and he was injured.

Depending on the game you are either the next Childress or the next Ammo.

Chase is averaging the 5th most minutes on the team at almost 28/gm despite the fact he's coming off the bench.

Some of the stats:

6.6 pts/gm
37% FG%
33% 3pt FG% (20 of the 27 shots he's made have been 3 pointers)
15-17 (88%) from the line
22 assists
17 TO's

Chase has been off the last couple of games, but IMO he can shoot (and make them in games) and generally handles the ball pretty well as an off guard.

IIRC wasn't he freshman of the week at least once already? I'm not sure that any of those other players mentioned got one of those.

Chase has shown signs. Tony was pretty dreadful his entire freshman season which RJ completely discounted due to his injury shortening his preseason.

Dozens here/old board didn't give Tony a break last year and he was injured.

I simply don't expect the same amount of production from a freshman. Chase shouldn't shoulder the blame for what was essentially a team and staff failure.
In much the same way, I didn't think that CJ or Harvey Hale or any of the other role players we've had over the years should have had to contribute like they did as freshman.

If our program functioned the way that it should function, first year-players that are expected to be a bit raw would receive meaningful minutes, but the responsibility would be on the upperclassmen. For more than half a decade now, we haven't had that luxury with our guards, but it has worked well with our big men - think about all of the guys that, in the least, became serviceable ACC big men as upperclassmen (Visser and Chas, for instance).

Last edited:
Chase is struggling right now, without a doubt. His turnovers are more of a concern to me than his shooting. I expect (and hope) both will improve sooner rather than later.

However, he is an outstanding leader and a very positive influence within the team. You would never guess he was a freshman ... who doesnt start ... who is struggling ...

That is impressive to me.

Chase has shown signs. Tony was pretty dreadful his entire freshman season which RJ completely discounted due to his injury shortening his preseason.

I did as did anyone who knows basketball.

When a freshman misses all of preseason, he rarely catches up that season. When gets injured as soon as he gets back, this problem gets worse.

But that was of no consequence to you and many others.

Year M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Ast TO PPG

2010-11 1.7 5.9 29.2 0.1 0.9 14.3 0.9 1.5 56.5 1.9 2.4 4.5
2011-12 4.1 9.2 44.5 0.4 1.6 23.8 2.8 4.3 66.1 2.8 1.9 11.4

These are Tony's stat's for FG, 3 pt, FT%, ast, TO and PPG

I just don't see how anyone can say he hasn't improved his shooting. He's shooting about 49% on his 2 pt FG. He's improved in every statistical category.
Of course I'd love an upgrade at PG but I like Tony. He's not our problem and is in fact our 3rd best player.

Year M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Ast TO PPG

2010-11 1.7 5.9 29.2 0.1 0.9 14.3 0.9 1.5 56.5 1.9 2.4 4.5
2011-12 4.1 9.2 44.5 0.4 1.6 23.8 2.8 4.3 66.1 2.8 1.9 11.4

These are Tony's stat's for FG, 3 pt, FT%, ast, TO and PPG

I just don't see how anyone can say he hasn't improved his shooting. He's shooting about 49% on his 2 pt FG. He's improved in every statistical category.
Of course I'd love an upgrade at PG but I like Tony. He's not our problem and is in fact our 3rd best player.

That's the biggest problem honestly.

I'm not saying it's fair, but it's the truth - people here wouldn't be so quick to jump on Tony for his boneheaded plays if rj hadn't spent the last four years riding his jock because he's a (fellow) tough, gritty guard from Philly. Apparently, turnovers can also be tough and gritty.

ETA: Not blaming rj for Tony's sometimes poor play, or saying Tony hasn't deserved the many "WTF" moments, just pointing out that our beloved SoCal eccentric can be a lightning rod on the Interwebz.

Last edited:
Back