• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 123: Best Managed CT Ever. Thanks Rubbins! Hops PM Rubbins Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have eggs for breakfast every day!

unfortunately they are in my morning protein shake

I don't have a goddamned clue what I was dreaming about but when my alarm went off, I shot up and said SUMMON THE COUNCIL.

the DWARF council?

If someone had asked me out on Tuesday of this week I'd think suggesting Wednesday would look eager and desperate (plus I'm busy anyway), Thursday is Halloween so no, and Friday and Saturday nights are too serious for a first date. I also think too much.

Maybe I'm guilty of #thingsgirlsthink here but I just did the same thing because PEARL JAM tonight, Halloween tomorrow and F having a first date on the weekend.

For people who have set hours, what do you do on days where you have too much to do? Just not finish? Also, what about days that are slow? Do you just sit at work for the sake of sitting at work?

Maybe I'm guilty of #thingsgirlsthink here but I just did the same thing because PEARL JAM tonight, Halloween tomorrow and F having a first date on the weekend.

glad I'm not the only one

For people who have set hours, what do you do on days where you have too much to do? Just not finish? Also, what about days that are slow? Do you just sit at work for the sake of sitting at work?

On busy days, if something can't be put off until tomorrow then I stay until I can finish it. Latest I've stayed is probably 7:30 or so. Usually things aren't so urgent that they have to be done immediately. There are never days with nothing to do, but on slower days I definitely play on the internet a lot more, but always stay until 5:00.

I don't have set hours, but I'm generally 9-5:30 or 6. Sometimes I get in a bit earlier, sometimes I stay a bit later or leave earlier, but I'd say 75% of my days are that way

On busy days, if something can't be put off until tomorrow then I stay until I can finish it. Latest I've stayed is probably 7:30 or so. Usually things aren't so urgent that they have to be done immediately. There are never days with nothing to do, but on slower days I definitely play on the internet a lot more, but always stay until 5:00.

I am in this realm. I typically work 8:30-4:30ish, but have a pretty hard stop at 4:45 so I can get home and get the Bug from the nanny. If I know it's going to be a crazy busy day or I'll have to work late, then I can get LDToy to go home early, but he has a longer commute.

I also rarely have days that I'm so swamped that something can't be pushed til the next day. And like RTQ, if it's a slow day, I find random ways to fill the gaps.

My major stressors aren't my work, it's family.
Everyone has family issues. The key for me is to determine what kind of relationships I want to have with certain family members. Whenever I get upset about family stuff (usually future sister-in-law) I always come back to that statement and it makes me feel better. Also it's dumb to dwell on stuff I can't change. The bare minimum is 'smile at them, actively listen to them and laugh at their jokes when they are around (usually major holidays)'.

Dr. Phil out.

nobody is supposed to like their mother in law cause they know you're sticking it to their child

Re: work time, as long as I get in before my boss I'm good. My boss gets in anytime between 8:30 and 9:30am, so I get in between 8:00-8:15am. On super slow days I'll leave a little before 5.

I have a typical 9-5 and everyone bounces at either 4:30:01 or 5:00:01 except managers. I found quickly that I was never going to be able to leave right at 5, and my bosses know it, and I will move up more quickly than those unwilling to stay late to get more work done.

That said, unless you're in certain fields that really necessitate 70 hr workweeks, you should always be looking for faster, more efficient ways of working, or ways to share work with others effectively.

I've never had a 9-5 but mainly because I'm in engineering/construction. Since I do engineering sales now I'm usually on the road by 6/6:30 if it's a day where I'm out calling on customers and in the office by 8 on an office day. It has it's perks like the ability to work from home if needed (and it's needed most Friday) but I'm usually on the laptop emailing/sorting email every night for at least an hour also.

The downfall is that I'm never without a laptop/cell phone.

I stay late if there is work to be done and on slow days I just dick around on the computer.

I haven't done anything fun for Halloween since '08. I miss Project Pumpkin. I remember in '05 after the Duke game going to Franklin Street and creeping on girls with a creepy old man mask.

I have a typical 9-5 and everyone bounces at either 4:30:01 or 5:00:01 except managers. I found quickly that I was never going to be able to leave right at 5, and my bosses know it, and I will move up more quickly than those unwilling to stay late to get more work done.

That said, unless you're in certain fields that really necessitate 70 hr workweeks, you should always be looking for faster, more efficient ways of working, or ways to share work with others effectively.

My 60-70 hour weeks always come in packs, same as my 20-30 hour weeks. It is the same months every year. February - May and September to November have a lot of 60-70 hour weeks. The rest of the months are either 40 hour weeks or even less.

Things are changing in the business (in a very good way :) ) and I'm currently trying to decide how I want to post my hours on Facebook. In the past, I worked in the home and didn't want any hours posted. That is changing so it is probably time to change my hours. The negative of that is that there are some days that I travel to meet with my clients in person. They tend to be the same days each week, but sometimes I will add an additional day for that week. I haven't decided how I want to show this. I'm really tempted to set the hours as 10am - 5pm on those days. That will give me 2+ hours every morning to just focus on emails, coding, and phone calls. One of my vendors does that and they love having those two hours to get work done without interruptions.

I've never had a 9-5 but mainly because I'm in engineering/construction. Since I do engineering sales now I'm usually on the road by 6/6:30 if it's a day where I'm out calling on customers and in the office by 8 on an office day. It has it's perks like the ability to work from home if needed (and it's needed most Friday) but I'm usually on the laptop emailing/sorting email every night for at least an hour also.

The downfall is that I'm never without a laptop/cell phone.

This is me on the 2-4 days that I travel each week.

I haven't done anything fun for Halloween since '08. I miss Project Pumpkin. I remember in '05 after the Duke game going to Franklin Street and creeping on girls with a creepy old man mask.

I miss Project Pumpkin too. I wish there was some way that I could give back to Project Pumpkin as an alumni.

Another highlight from the '05 trip was sitting on a Duke campus bus next to a dude dressed in a gold skirt with a cane and pointy ears. He looked at our group and said, "I bet you have no idea what I am." My buddy said, "You're an anubis." The dude paused for a moment, and then he said quietly, "How did you know?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back