• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 1331: Just talkin’ chickens. This is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes but the highest form of Gen X humor was sarcasm

absolutely nothing funnier to Gen X than just level 1 sarcasm eye roll oh brother

whereas millennials got to add in irony and subtext and nihilism to the self-hatred

a la Daria

my take is 30 Rock is start to finish the best of the series, starts strong and ends strong and doesn't really dip

Parks and Rec starts slow -- it wins the most wholesome

the Office fades pretty bad -- I never even finished the series -- but I think the Office's peak is the highest and I also think it's the most influential on the direction of sitcoms of any since maybe Seinfeld

I think the tougher question -- one that I think Townie asked a while ago -- is which is the best of NBC comedy character post-Seinfeld

I think it's Jack Donaghy, followed closely by Michael Scott, followed by Ron Swanson

Anything Millennials do well, Gen Z does it far better and on social media. Look at what Lil Nas X has done in less than 2 years. That's just expert level. He made a song that country conservatives couldn't ignore and definitely couldn't get rid of. Developed a massive young Gen Z fanbase. Then he came out and now he made a queer AF video giving Satan a lap dance and made a shoe about it. Now the same people who told him he was going to go to hell for being gay are pissed that he made a video about being gay as hell in hell.

Top NBC sitcom characters post Seinfeld. Ron Swanson, Jack Donaghy, Michael from The Good Place, Leslie Knope, Tracy Jordan.

Last edited:
I dunno if it counts or not since it originated on Fox but Lt. Holt on Brooklyn 99 is up there.

The best sitcom since Seinfeld is Curb you doofuses

Anything Millennials do well, Gen Z does it far better and on social media. Look at what Lil Nas X has done in less than 2 years. That's just expert level. He made a song that country conservatives couldn't ignore and definitely couldn't get rid of. Developed a massive young Gen Z fanbase. Then he came out and now he made a queer AF video giving Satan a lap dance and made a shoe about it. Now the same people who told him he was going to go to hell for being gay are pissed that he made a video about being gay as hell in hell.

That's your example ? The guy who made a shitty song with Billy Ray Cyrus ?

I do appreciate how sexuality and gender seem generally a non-issue for Gen Z

Chat thread 1331:Biff's balls be bowed, bro

Jack Donaghy then Ron Swanson for me.

On the whole I prefer the characters on Parks and Rec more than 30 Rock.

When we were house hunting I made sure to Google Map where the train lines ran.

I have Gen Z sisters -- they're good people and I feel like their and their friends' grasp of some social problems is way beyond where me and my friends were at that age, a very worldly generation, a much more politically-engaged generation, so I think that's good

but I think that's because they've been on the internet since they were like four years old and I think there are a lot of negatives associated with such a hyper-online, social media-oriented culture

we'll see -- I think the kids will be alright

I'm tryina think of how much politics me and my friends talked in high school and college. It wasn't much, that's for damn sure. Race wasn't an issue cause we were all listening to snoop and dre, and eminem taught not to be so sensitive. 9/11 fucked everything up.

I have Gen Z sisters -- they're good people and I feel like their and their friends' grasp of some social problems is way beyond where me and my friends were at that age, a very worldly generation, a much more politically-engaged generation, so I think that's good

but I think that's because they've been on the internet since they were like four years old and I think there are a lot of negatives associated with such a hyper-online, social media-oriented culture

we'll see -- I think the kids will be alright

Yeah. That describes my students. They come in knowing basic things that we had to teach millennials such as broader structural factors impact individual success. Makes sense since they were little kids around or after 9/11 and all they know is a society moving from one economic collapse to the next.

This made me laugh.

2fd27f8ac1915050fa2f5fc11cffb402.jpg

a lil Wrestlemania V on the Peacock held at Trump Plaza. We got the Big Boss Man and Akeem the African Dream vs the Rockers, and Jesse Ventura calling the action and Trump sitting courtside. Finale of Hogan vs the Macho Man. No matter the generation, sexy is timeless.

BBM1.jpg

My good friend/co-worker's son got roped into a cult. About two years after he and his wife were married, they just straight up severed all ties to both of their families. The families are in denial - "oh, it's not a cult, because it's a Christ-based organization." I'm like, yeah bro, but that's a cult.

I live near one in Loudoun County VA. Calvary Temple Sterling Va. Google that sh!t. The bigwig's wife died of cancer and two weeks later he stood up in church and said the lord wanted him to avoid temptation and get married again. A week or two later he announced his new bride would be the 19 yo daughter of a main council member that had just graduated from the onsite "high school."

Chat thread 1331:Biff's balls be bowed, bro

Gen X is easily the best generation ever. No Boomer stigma, no Milly stigma. All upside, because had a bitchen childhood in the 70s and got the full benefit of the 90s while the plebs had to tough it all out. I say all this as a millennial.

The argument against Gen X is that they came of age during the late 80’s and early 90’s, which was a fucking horrible time to grow up. Hair metal into grunge rock. Terrible loose clothing. The AIDS epidemic, so no sex. I mean the poster child of Gen X killed himself, it was that dire.

Im aware that most of this post only applies to white guys

Last edited:
Black music was incredible during that stretch. Fashion not so much.

Seems like a lot of Gen Xers didn’t learn how to dress right until their late 20s or 30s.

Season 3 of Parks and Rec (Harvest Festival season) has no bad episodes and this joke improvised on the spot by Chris Pratt is so dumb but I love it:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back