• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2021: huge historic day today ! you are living history congrats !

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby is finally walking and knows what and where everything is, which is freaking awesome. She will point to her head, nose, ears, toes, etc... She knows just about every farm animal. When we are reading, she can point to pretty much every color...Maybe this is normal for a 15 month old, but I'm just a proud dad. We have a bunch of art on our walls and I'll say point to the red flower and she points. Also, one of her favorite things to play with is an NBA regulation sized basketball, which is bad ass.

Anyways, yeah, work/life balance. I'm not very good at it. Also in outside sales...Travel a couple times a week...Make middle class money...Prefer spending time with the family over working but still working hard to find that balance.

man, that's the best feeling. watching the kids learn/grow is awesome. COVID sucks but i've been able to spend almost every day with my daughter who turns 1 on 12/31 vs just evenings/weekends with my older daughter b/c of work/daycare

man, that's the best feeling. watching the kids learn/grow is awesome. COVID sucks but i've been able to spend almost every day with my daughter who turns 1 on 12/31 vs just evenings/weekends with my older daughter b/c of work/daycare

Is your 1 year old already walking? You can be honest, it won't hurt my feelings...too bad...If she is

no - she can pull herself up on stuff and maybe move a foot laterally on the thing she's holding. though an hour ago my wife text me a picture of her standing up on a toy stroller and not faceplanting when it shoots out under her. she seems pretty far from actual walking at this point. my first didn't walk independently until 13-15 months (like without a parent following ready to catch)

Last edited:
realizing this varies greatly by kid, but at what age, roughly, can they string together multiple words in a sentence?

I remember when my daughter first began to walk. Wife left the house for a few hours on a Saturday (thankfully she did not miss the first steps) and I spent 2 or 3 hours following her from the kitchen to the living room and back. It was awesome.. She was so excited. I was excited. Until I wasn't. It became really monotonous. That got old after awhile and nothing I could do could distract her into doing something different. Chase me? Nope. Walk to the kitchen. Chase you? Nope. Back to the living room. That 600 sq ft 1st floor of our townhouse felt really small until the wife got home to take over. The game began anew so she did not miss out.

no - she can pull herself up on stuff and maybe move a foot laterally on the thing she's holding. though an hour ago my wife text me a picture of her standing up on a toy stroller and not faceplanting when it shoots out under her. she seems pretty far from actual walking at this point. my first didn't walk independently until 13-15 months (like without a parent following ready to catch)

That's about where ours was at around a year. It's just been the last few weeks that she's taken any steps at all and then magically last night she looks like she can walk a mile! And she saw how stoked my wife and I were watching her walk, so she wanted to do it the rest of the night.

Juice, I'm still wondering the same thing regarding stringing words together. Ours has mama, dada, uh huh, no(with head shaking), moo because she likes cows, and baba for a bottle.

She has a huge personality and laughs at everything. Last night I was on the floor playing with her and my back went out. She knows when one of us is hurt, sad, happy, etc., so I was laughing hysterically in pain instead of acting like it hurt...So while my back is out and I'm stuck on the ground my daughter is hysterically laughing and climbing on top of me because I didn't have the heart to let her know it hurt...I'm a softy

Man I haven't worked like super really hard in a looooooonnnnggggg time but put in a good 15 hour day yesterday. I am sppppppent. Hosting 2 hour presentation in 3 hours, followed by another right after.

realizing this varies greatly by kid, but at what age, roughly, can they string together multiple words in a sentence?

My son turned 2 a couple of months ago and was an early walker and a late talker. But after the slow start, I now can't get him to shut up. He's got sentences. He's also super friendly to strangers... Yesterday at the park he walked over to another dad and told him, "My name is Jacob. I have trucks on my shirt." He also was playing with empty soda cans and putting mulch in his mouth, so he's kind of all over the map.

100% correct about varying by kid. We have 3 of them. The girls didn't walk until 16-17 months... The boy was 12 months. We did nothing different. The girls were verbal earlier than he was. But beyond that, the rate of change/progress was also different for all of them. Someone else posted this on a different thread, but there is no reason to worry about any of it... They figure things out eventually.

As an aside, my favorite age for all of my kids has been that ~18 months to ~3 years window where they pick up new skills and abilities so quickly that you feel like you can actually see them making progress everyday.

was talking with my brother and his wife about their two month-old twins the other day and the topic was "what is the most surprising thing about the first couple months" and everybody's answers was how easy it was vis a vis how most people talk about newborns

newborns are tedious but not that hard (I understand there are exceptions for babies that have sleeping or eating difficulties, but the general flow of life with newborns is not that bad)

people are dramatic

I’ve been looking at properties outside of Atlanta recently on the theory I’m going to be able to keep working from home in some capacity and would rather have more space in exchange for a longer commute 2-3 days per week.

Problem is that we really like our neighborhood.

Same.

Our decision making has been aided by some neighbors moving recently and our overall disappointment with how terribly the school district is run.

To clarify, our elementary school is awesome... Great teachers and people. However, the Dekalb County School District "leadership" is a disaster. The response to the pandemic has been a joke and 100% political. We went from having impossibly strict metrics on when kids could go back to school to a sudden decision to return to school in January that was made about a week ago... And they still haven't stated why it is OK to return to schools now.

Not that anyone cares: https://decaturish.com/2020/12/when-pressed-dekalb-county-schools-declines-to-cite-metric-in-reopening-decision/

was talking with my brother and his wife about their two month-old twins the other day and the topic was "what is the most surprising thing about the first couple months" and everybody's answers was how easy it was vis a vis how most people talk about newborns

newborns are tedious but not that hard (I understand there are exceptions for babies that have sleeping or eating difficulties, but the general flow of life with newborns is not that bad)

people are dramatic

It’s not complex, as far as routines go, but yeah trouble sleeping or eating can be pretty excruciating. We’ve had a bit of a regression on day sleeping in month three, but very fortunate he always sleeps well at night.

We have one of each and our walk/talk experience followed the stereotype of boys walk and girls talk in terms of proficiency.

After our daughter was walking around fairly well I was at the stove with my back to the room. She was moving around then got super quiet so I turned to look expecting her to be chewing on something. Nothing major. But she had silently climbed onto the kitchen table. She was looking at me smiling as she flung the hanging light fixture away from her. There was no way of getting their in time and I was immediately preparing for the light to swing right back at her and fling her off the table. Fortunately my wife turned as I did and was able to reach out and grab the light mid swing. Gotta love those moments when they make a leap in some skill that completely shocks and reminds you never to let your guard down.

like an actual "i want the ball" sentence? i'm thinking like 2.5-3.5

My older daughter said her first phrase at 14 months "Dog ball!" right after the dog trotted up to her and took the ball out her hand and ran away. A week later she pointed at a picture of someone holding a baby and said "Issa baba" (It's a baby), so she was speaking in sentences before she could form words. We taught her sign language though, and she was using complex phrase in sign language for a couple months before that, signing things like "dog ball" and "more food please" since she was ~10 months old, before she could walk.

my parents tell me I started reading at 2.5 so I'm fairly certain I was putting basic sentences together before then

My older daughter said her first phrase at 14 months "Dog ball!" right after the dog trotted up to her and took the ball out her hand and ran away. A week later she pointed at a picture of someone holding a baby and said "Issa baba" (It's a baby), so she was speaking in sentences before she could form words. We taught her sign language though, and she was using complex phrase in sign language for a couple months before that, signing things like "dog ball" and "more food please" since she was ~10 months old, before she could walk.

this is fascinating. our entry into symbol use/the symbolic will never not fascinate me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back