• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2021: huge historic day today ! you are living history congrats !

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pops is getting loose and telling old navy stories on the way down to Pine Needles this morning. His best friend was a dude named Grace but apparently everyone called him towel rack because he would walk around with a folded hand towel on his flagstaff. “I didn’t think it was physically possible to have something that big”. Gonna be an interesting day if these are the stories he’s telling at 9 am.

Sounds like some good times and good memories being made today. Does this mean your mom is hanging back at the house solo?

My pops is getting loose and telling old navy stories on the way down to Pine Needles this morning. His best friend was a dude named Grace but apparently everyone called him towel rack because he would walk around with a folded hand towel on his flagstaff. “I didn’t think it was physically possible to have something that big”. Gonna be an interesting day if these are the stories he’s telling at 9 am.

I regret not talking to my grandfather more about his time in WWII before he passed.

I was too young and self-absorbed to really understand the value of asking him about his life. He also intimidated the hell out of me.

Yeah ddd, I kinda want that pm too, bro. I hope it’s a pitch for Rainbow vacuum cleaners.

Sounds like some good times and good memories being made today. Does this mean your mom is hanging back at the house solo?

Man, the subtlety here is only possible because of the strong groundwork done by so many of us over the past year. We're reaching peak performance.

now that knight is passing around that PM, I'm starting to wonder if he really meant the part where he said he liked me or if that was just copy-and-pasted from his PM to Townie

Man, the subtlety here is only possible because of the strong groundwork done by so many of us over the past year. We're reaching peak performance.

Only if our government could work together in such ways...We'd be in such a better place.

now that knight is passing around that PM, I'm starting to wonder if he really meant the part where he said he liked me or if that was just copy-and-pasted from his PM to Townie

You were the first, bb. Everyone got a little something at the top, to balance out Mako's mom getting a little something from everyone in the bottom.

Golf buddy of mine (55) died last night running the track at Ft. Gordon. He was a physician, perfect health, never rode a cart, always walked.
Put that under the heading that life is way too short. F it. Do what makes you happy.

I hate playing catch-up on the CT... My work day is usually from like 645am-430pm and I try not to read the boards much after that. So when I read yesterday's stuff and want to opine, I'm late to the discussion and out of the flow.

Massage Guns: I am not a huge fan, but I will say that it is the type of product where you need to pay up to get something good. The cheap ones are pieces of shit and a waste of money.

Work/Life Balance: I love my current setup, but I definitely lucked into it. I was in an office in my various jobs until I hit about 34 years old, which was coincidentally around when I got married. When we moved from Tampa to Atlanta in 2013, I had more flexibility... Purposely bought a house close to my office in Buckhead (less than 10 minutes), but still did a fair amount of travel. Started having kids... It is weird, but I missed them more during the work day than when I was traveling. My trips are either fly out and home in the same day or 1-2 nighters, so not a big deal.

Anyway, I got let go in mid-2018 with baby #3 on the way. Was extremely fortunate to land a job where I work from home, but still travel. It is ideal. When I am home, I can eat lunch with my kids and make all of their school and extracurricular events. I still travel, but I can be pretty flexible with it. And during the pandemic there has been no travel, so I'm home everyday. I am extremely lucky. If I had to go back to an office job, I would hate it. Having said all that, my wife does not work so it is important for me to bring in enough income for us to live the way that we'd like (which is not extravagent, but we don't need anything we don't already have). As the kids get a little older (and are in school all day), I think it'll be less important for me to work from home. My wife also plans on returning to work at that point.

Rambling here, but I do feel stress about doing well enough at my job to be able to keep the setup I have for at least the next few years. It's an ideal mix of income and flexibility. We're also in the process of moving out to the middle of nowhere, which would be difficult if I had to work at an office in Atlanta.

DDD - I'd like that PM, as well. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I’ve been looking at properties outside of Atlanta recently on the theory I’m going to be able to keep working from home in some capacity and would rather have more space in exchange for a longer commute 2-3 days per week.

Problem is that we really like our neighborhood.

Lots going on with the CT this morning.

Re kitchen mats, we've had one since around 2006 and I love it. Makes a massive difference, especially with involved meals.

Re ALS, that shit is a dick punch. The husband of a friend from HS was diagnosed around 5 years ago or so when he was in his late-30s. Can't even imagine. Also can't imagine Parkinson's, which one of my friends was diagnosed with a couple of years ago (in his late 40s early 50s). He just had some experimental brain surgery a month or so ago, so we're hoping that it helps with the tremors.

Re work/life balance, I've thought about this a lot, and even more so during the lockdown. I worked my ass off for 10 years when I was in private practice. Billed in excess of 2400 hours for 6 straight years (3 of which I was over 2500). I was routinely in the office by 7:00 am after leaving the office between 1:00 and 3:00 a.m. the night before. It was some nonsense, but it allowed me to have some opportunities and was good financially (paid off both mine and my wife's student loans). I couldn't wait to leave private practice for a variety of reasons and jumped at the chance when it came. In-house work has a lot of advantages and some disadvantages, but the hours are so much better. Aside from certain times of year and when there are emergent or non-typical issues that come up, I can do my job pretty easily and in relatively little time. And taking off for vacation is easier since I don't have clients that don't give a fuck (in private practice I would routinely work while on vacation). I've come to realize that I could coast in my current job for the next 20 years, if I want to, and be perfectly happy with both the work and the pay. My wife has come to the realization that she could do the same. Both of us are considering other things we could do to or other opportunities we could seek in our current jobs, but we always come back to the fact that we like the non-stressful, laid back lifestyle we are currently living, which still allows us to do pretty much anything we want at a level that we are good with. We also don't have kids that we have to raise and save for (that DINK life is real).

Work/life balance:
I'm in a similar boat as DeacATS and have no interest in going back to the office. I'm in outside sales so I've always had a home office with all the comforts of the regular office just because the nature lends itself to never truly knowing where you'll be week to week. My daughter was born last October so if a global pandemic was ever going to happen, I guess we timed it well. Wife didn't go back to teaching until March and was in the classroom for about a week before it all got shutdown. We ended up just tag teaming the day to day until she could walk and it became too much with both of us working from home. 2020 has been complete shit in 93843948 ways but it's been great on making you realize what actually matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back