• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2021: huge historic day today ! you are living history congrats !

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've considered a mat for the kitchen b/c it does start to hurt if i'm pulling a long job like thanksgiving. i bought one for my "workshop" and it's great.

I pulled a dining room chair into the kitchen today while I was doing some shit at the stove. Some real old man shit right there.

knight, serious question:

you seem like a thoughtful guy and have a utilitarian worldview -- you also talk about how much you work and your three jobs, etc while not sleeping and eating like shit

how do you do the mental calculation on making less money versus more free time, healthier lifestyle?

I don't gather that you're doing your non-lawyer stuff to make ends meet -- presumably it's to achieve a certain lifestyle for you and your kids

anyways, just curious as it's something I think about myself: working harder and making more money versus quality of life -- tough to quantify

A nice question well phrased I’m interested in as well as I start my family. Do I go try and make more money to ensure the kid has a comfortable life but limit my time with him or stay in the lifestyle job and raise him up on quality face time?

Sold my Nintendo Switch and all the games in 1 day, bought a new tv with the proceeds. Turns out I watch a lot more tv than I play video games

anyone have any experience with a massage gun? the kind that hammers on your back? (yes, I'm sure my mom does.)

are they worth it to relieve shoulder pain?

anyone have any experience with a massage gun? the kind that hammers on your back? (yes, I'm sure my mom does.)

My spouse has one and says is really helps her shoulder and neck pain.

Yes, they're awesome. Haven't sprung for one yet (the nice ones are damn expensive) but have considered. When I was going to the PT regularly for my shoulder (seem to be in the clear on avoiding surgery round 2 now), the best part of the session was the hot divorcee PT-in-training using the theragun on me. She did it for like 25 min once while we were chatting and lost track of time. Definitely wanted the D.

A nice question well phrased I’m interested in as well as I start my family. Do I go try and make more money to ensure the kid has a comfortable life but limit my time with him or stay in the lifestyle job and raise him up on quality face time?

I think you can do both if you get creative. I sent you and Juice a PM.

<3

I think you can do both if you get creative. I sent you and Juice a PM.

<3

Involving your children in productive learning work is arduous, but a huge help in growing. I can change a light by myself in 45 minutes, or have my son help me and do it in an hour and a half. But I think (hope?) that the extra 45 minutes helped my son.

Involving your children in productive learning work is arduous, but a huge help in growing. I can change a light by myself in 45 minutes, or have my son help me and do it in an hour and a half. But I think (hope?) that the extra 45 minutes helped my son.

If it takes you 45 minutes to change a light bulb, I’m never hiring you as a contractor.

On a serious note, it’s hard to put a monetary value on time spent watching your kids grow up. Teachers don’t make a ton of money, but I wouldn’t trade seeing my 2 little ones all day every day during the summer for quadruple my salary.

We have mats at our stove and sink and they’re pretty great. Could probably use something a little heavier duty.

I spend a lot of time thinking about work/life balance vs family time around this time of year because of trying to meet year end obligations.

I think what I’ve come to is that I’m working hard now to put myself in a position to spend more family time in the future.

Appreciate the conversation (and especially the PMs from DDD). Truth be told I never thought I had much of a work ethic. I think to intellectualize it I could root it in feeling a Marxist alienation of labor or a Nietzschean ressentiment. Even working a bunch of jobs to get through college and such things. All my best accomplishments have never really been intrinsically motivated. Now on top of a mortgage and a shifty economy I have a kid to support and loads of commitments. And I think I’m finally at the point where I feel like I’m driving in my career I’m taking some pride in the work I’m doing but it still doesn’t stack up to hanging out with the boy. I had someone explain to me that some people live to work and others work to live and I think I’ll always be the latter, and I hope that’s ok.

My dad traveled a lot for work when I was in middle school and early high school. And even when he didn't have a traveling job, he worked pretty long hours and came home totally spent. This time of year was particularly tough for him (he was a retail department store manager) and we didn't really see him from the day after Thanksgiving until late on Christmas Eve. That must have been murder on my mom with two boys all hopped up on Christmas. It probably influences how little I really enjoy the season because I don't have great associations with it from childhood.

That kind of thing has stuck with me as I've pursued a career. I've set things up where I'm almost always home by 6pm to make dinner and eat it together with the family. I rarely put in much work on weekends and I am able to come and go as I please from work so I never miss a play or a sporting event. I've definitely given up on an early retirement and passed on career advancement that would have meant compromising on the lifestyle stuff. But, other than hectic year-end stuff, my job isn't terribly stressful and I'm pretty healthy. I know I have it a lot better than a lot of other people and I am incredibly grateful that I have been afforded the opportunity to have a choice. Very lucky on that front.

Also, Townie your boy is probably gonna be wicked smart so if you’re poor he can get merit based and need based scholarships. Food for thought.

True my wife is hella smart

Hopefully he gets my test taking skills and her determination and butt

If it takes you 45 minutes to change a light bulb, I’m never hiring you as a contractor.

I meant changing the lighting fixture. We did that last night together. Little man can turn a wire nut like a boss now.

True my wife is hella smart

Hopefully he gets my test taking skills and her determination and butt

This is terrifying. If you think your wife is smart and you had a baby with her, then the child is going to be fucking Einstein 2.0.

I am uncomfortable with being called smart like this. Just yesterday I argued with deacvision7 for like two pages on a soccer thread. I had a 2.8 at Wake. Let me assure you I’m not the brightest guy. Or maybe I am slightly above average and I just have no self discipline. Idk either way shut up. Mako’s mom.

I am uncomfortable with being called smart like this. Just yesterday I argued with deacvision7 for like two pages on a soccer thread. I had a 2.8 at Wake. Let me assure you I’m not the brightest guy. Or maybe I am slightly above average and I just have no self discipline. Idk either way shut up. Mako’s mom.

Deacspop being legitimately concerned about my mother’s honor was almost as sweet as blue’s cookie thread. Dude gets a lot of shit for being the one posting pub that remains on the tunnels that isn’t just there for trolls, but his heart is in the right place.

And as someone who has taught high school for almost a score of years, I don’t think that we have a regular poster that isn’t far above standard intellect. It’s reallllll dumb out there y’all.

As a guy who helped raise 3 kids and travelled a lot it was always a challenge not being there for some of the important stuff. I use to leave on Monday night and usually back late Thursday night.
You do what you have to do; always make sure you tell them how much you love them and it seems it all works out. Honestly it was rougher on the relationship than I think it was on the kids. They got away with murder with their Mom...lol.

And thanks for the nice words Mako; much appreciated. Lost my Mom this past July (she was 95 and had a great life) so I’m kind of Mom sensitive.

Last edited:
We have mats at our stove and sink and they’re pretty great. Could probably use something a little heavier duty.

I spend a lot of time thinking about work/life balance vs family time around this time of year because of trying to meet year end obligations.

I think what I’ve come to is that I’m working hard now to put myself in a position to spend more family time in the future.

I felt that way until my mother in law died at 57 of ALS...busted her ass to get to an early retirement and didn’t get to enjoy it. It really made me realize tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. Not saying I’m a total nihilist or not planning for the future, but work-life balance is a lot more important to me and I try really hard to live in the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back