• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CHAT THREAD 61: it was the best ct winner ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting..... I don't know how you do it. I don't think I've ever interacted with someone in biglaw not tightly wound or miserable. Kudos to you.

Yeah, I feel pretty fortunate. Even when I was working 90+ hours a week as a jounior associate, I was still happy with my job. And it is also probs better in DC than in NYC. People in NYC like to compete on how miserable they are in their BigLaw jobs, whereas people here don't to the same degree. SF is even better from my experience dealing with attorney's there. LA is between DC and NYC.

the real question i ask to any lawyer to decide if i can actually hang with them is how often do they mention being a lawyer? if in a discussion with a stranger about how or why they should or should not do something do you say "i'm a lawyer." people really hate that, and lawyers dont seem to get it.

I feel like female lawyers are way worse in general.

Yeah, I feel pretty fortunate. Even when I was working 90+ hours a week as a jounior associate, I was still happy with my job. And it is also probs better in DC than in NYC. People in NYC like to compete on how miserable they are in their BigLaw jobs, whereas people here don't to the same degree. SF is even better from my experience dealing with attorney's there. LA is between DC and NYC.

that is such a weird phenomenon to me. i thought about going to law school until every lawyer i worked with at my internship at a firm told me not to because they hated it. i think they just didnt want more lawyers too tbh.

I NEVER tell people what I do unless they expressly ask, in which case I simply say I'm an attorney and leave it at that. One of my best friends is exactly the opposite and it drives me insane, especially when he drags me into it talking about us in law school. I agree that it's redonkulously obnoxious.

i think we can hang at the stone then. doctors are bad about this too. and hill staffers. i dont tell people what i do unless they ask. then i bore them with details. idiots.

I feel like female lawyers are way worse in general.

It's because they have to have a chip on their shoulder since this profession still has the stigma of an old boys club (a well deserved one). It's changing, but it's not there yet.

It's because they have to have a chip on their shoulder since this profession still has the stigma of an old boys club (a well deserved one). It's changing, but it's not there yet.

Yeah so they have to act a little too bro, which is obviously unnatural because they are babes. Be who you are, like Elle woods or whatever

that is such a weird phenomenon to me. i thought about going to law school until every lawyer i worked with at my internship at a firm told me not to because they hated it. i think they just didnt want more lawyers too tbh.

I really think that a lot of people get into it solely for the money and don't think about what it's like to actually do the work and deal with the assholes (partners and clients). You really have to have the right temperment to not hate it, and unfortunately a lot do not.

Ugh man the DC market scares me. I keep hearing crazy stories of how intense they are.

Houston projects to be more my speed for sure. Any place where attorneys take long lunches to drink is my kind of place.

i think we can hang at the stone then. doctors are bad about this too. and hill staffers. i dont tell people what i do unless they ask. then i bore them with details. idiots.

We will defs have to get some beerz at the stone. I'm slowly making myself known to a couple people who work there and have gotten hooked up a few times. It's going to be great being a 5 minute walk away.

Hill staffers? Is their job supposed to be prestigious or something? I always considered those positions to be glorified internships. Low pay, dumb work, and many people happened to intern there as an undergrad and then just went back.

the more you show up at 3 midweek the more free shit you get. #science

ugh hill staffers are the worst. Except my friend, she's cool

Ugh man the DC market scares me. I keep hearing crazy stories of how intense they are.

Houston projects to be more my speed for sure. Any place where attorneys take long lunches to drink is my kind of place.

I think it varies to an extent, but I think that no matter where you are, if you at a top notch firm in a city larger than medium size the work load is going to be really high.

The personalities vary greatly from place to place.

We have an office in Houston. People there seem pretty chill.

Hill staffers? Is their job supposed to be prestigious or something? I always considered those positions to be glorified internships. Low pay, dumb work, and many people happened to intern there as an undergrad and then just went back.

you are absolutely correct, but they know everything about how politics work. any social issue will gravitate to their very, very important position making coffee or getting the paper.

ugh hill staffers are the worst. Except my friend, she's cool

So much truth. Hill staffers are intolerable. Luckily they are easy to spot and steer clear of. Not making a comment of your friend, but in general they are dumb as rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back