• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 69-ing. pitcest??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to be sad, and then you made it better. I much prefer CityZen to Citronelle.

I want to hit up all 3 (well, if Citronelle ever opens). I've been to Sou'Wester in the Mandarin and it was great. Also, apparently CityZen has a dessert tasting at the bar during the week which sounds awesome (pastry chef was a finalist on the dessert Top Chef). My future in-laws have been to the Inn several times and I have a hunch they might get us a gift certificate there after we get married. Would be awesome.

also, bid is definitely the least funny poster on the boards. he thinks he's so clever.

I am being a worthless employee today. After a 12 hour workday yesterday, and the craziness of the past weekend, I'm just exhausted. Not sure if I'll accomplish mich of anything today.

just me and my one girlfriend. we're meeting peeps in durham during the day on saturday and then staying in chapel hill that night with my sister and my sister's friend but they're only 20. and we want to go out. so the two of us. she's quite the partier... and i keep up.

I like the Crunkleton, but if she really wants to party it could get expensive there. I usually only go right after work because it gets too professional school-y in the evenings (weekends especially) and that's not my thing. If either of you are looking to pick up doctors/businessmen/lawyers, that might be the best bet.

I'm also old and do not go east of Columbia any more to any of the college bars, if you're looking for a crowd. Top O' would be a good bet then I guess.

If it's nice out you might try Milltown in Carrboro.

It will be Fall Break for the students, so it's a roll of the dice if people are out that night.

The Lantern's bar is cool for apps (or dinner) and a chill place for drinks, but it's super small.

It's all relative and definitely depends on your position in the government. My wife was an attorney and is now a judge and from starting as a GS9 to where she is now, it escallated fairly quickly. But the cap on her salary even if she stays for another 30 years is less than first year associates make in my firm, though in the grand scheme of things still pretty damn good. And I have other friends who will work in the government for 30-40 years and never get above a GS14, GS15 if they are lucky. The salary benefits may increase quickly from GS9 to GS14 for them, but then it pretty much stops (except with some minor (and finite) step increases within the grade). I know I'm skewed because of my job and seeing what employees and executives at my clients get paid, but some (not all) of my friends could make a lot more and have better benefits in the private sector. I dunno, I just think that the claims about how easy gov't employees have it and that they get too much just a vast over generalization.

This is what I meant to say. The first few years there are huge salary jumps, but once you max out it sucks. The way that the system is set up though there are a lot of incentives to stay on for longer. First, it's the salary bumps, then it's more vacation days, then it's working from home, etc.

People in my office were always saying, "Well, if I stay for one more year then ..."
'

i drink like 5-6 pints of water at work per day, a pint in the morning while i'm getting ready, and then at least 2-3 more at night (more if i'm not drinking beer with dinner). i always feel thirsty.

think i'm going to plan the inn at little washington for some time next spring to celebrate paying off my biggest student loan that i've been plowing 1200 a month into this year. once i do that my loans will be about $200 a month with no car payment, so i'll be rich as a nazi until we decide to move from our tiny condo.

Yeah I'm in the townie/leftcoast super-ultra high range. Easily 10-15 pints

i was really excited about my benefits (mostly awesome healthcare coverage), and then i realized public entities like to freeze salaries to save money.

...and that blows.
"oh hey, you're doing a great job. way to really pick up the pace and catch on. you do great work. ...I can offer nothing for this extra effort except a handshake and a thank you."

Water intoxication can be prevented if a person's intake of water does not grossly exceed his or her losses.[11] Healthy kidneys are able to excrete approximately 1 litre of fluid water (0.26 gallons) per hour.[11] However, stress (from prolonged physical exertion), as well as disease states, can greatly reduce this amount.[11]

I pee a lot

i drink like 5-6 pints of water at work per day, a pint in the morning while i'm getting ready, and then at least 2-3 more at night (more if i'm not drinking beer with dinner). i always feel thirsty.

think i'm going to plan the inn at little washington for some time next spring to celebrate paying off my biggest student loan that i've been plowing 1200 a month into this year. once i do that my loans will be about $200 a month with no car payment, so i'll be rich as a nazi until we decide to move from our tiny condo.

If you go and can swing it, stay the night and have breakfast in the morning. Their breakfast is amazing.

so when my uncle retired his firm got him a $10,000 gift certificate there. only problem: he was stuck in a wheelchair and it was not wheelchair friendly. ended up giving it to his long-time secretary. i was still in school, and my aunt informed if i had been up here they would probs have given it to me. fucking dagger.

also, i feel like there's a lesson there about working too hard and too long to reap the rewards.

I like the Crunkleton, but if she really wants to party it could get expensive there. I usually only go right after work because it gets too professional school-y in the evenings (weekends especially) and that's not my thing. If either of you are looking to pick up doctors/businessmen/lawyers, that might be the best bet.

I'm also old and do not go east of Columbia any more to any of the college bars, if you're looking for a crowd. Top O' would be a good bet then I guess.

If it's nice out you might try Milltown in Carrboro.

It will be Fall Break for the students, so it's a roll of the dice if people are out that night.

The Lantern's bar is cool for apps (or dinner) and a chill place for drinks, but it's super small.

nice, i've heard of the crunkleton before... somehow i got put on their email list and still occasionally get random emails from them. Thanks for the recco's!

i was really excited about my benefits (mostly awesome healthcare coverage), and then i realized public entities like to freeze salaries to save money.

...and that blows.
"oh hey, you're doing a great job. way to really pick up the pace and catch on. you do great work. ...I can offer nothing for this extra effort except a handshake and a thank you."

My mom works for the state of NC - I don't think she's gotten a raise in like 5 years. Instead, she just gets more vacation hours. She does have a pretty good retirement plan, at least (that she's grandfathered into), but I think she's pretty excited to retire soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back