• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 72: the saga of iCheat, her betrothed, and the Apple Genius (start at 62)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm concerned my potentially controversial title update concerning the time change has pushed people away from the chat thread. thought I'd change it to something I assume we can all agree is exciting: political commercials are almost over.

Cookout/TW

any insight into the Microsoft Surface as a potential laptop replacement? I'm wondering if it has basic word processing capabilities. The $500 entry price is very enticing, but I worry it's too gimmicky a device just yet without enough functionality.

Cookout/TW

any insight into the Microsoft Surface as a potential laptop replacement? I'm wondering if it has basic word processing capabilities. The $500 entry price is very enticing, but I worry it's too gimmicky a device just yet without enough functionality.

The one running Windows 8 RT won't quite be there as a full replacement (which is the one at the 500 price point), the only desktop app it'll be able to run is the Microsoft Office suite, it'll be limited to Metro apps past that. But it will have word processing capabilities at least.

When they come out with the Surface Pro that will be much closer to a full laptop replacement, as it will be running a full version of Windows 8 that can actually run any other computer program the same as a laptop running W8 would. However, that's not going to be released until January or so, and the price is probs going to be much higher.

Of course, once the app market is built up a bit more the RT becomes a bit more attractive of an option at that price point.

I'm getting soft in my old age. I had a friend come in this weekend to stay with us after the game Saturday. She challenged me to a chugging contest, because she'd been practicing and told by friends she'd gotten pretty good at it. I was the fastest chugger back in college, and she wanted to see how she compared. We did a best of three. First race she won, second I won. We devised a solution for the 3rd to pick the definitive winner. Chug the beer, then say your name. She barely edged me out, but we agreed it was close enough to be considered a draw. I still contend it was because she has a one syllable name, whereas mine is two.

I'm getting soft in my old age. I had a friend come in this weekend to stay with us after the game Saturday. She challenged me to a chugging contest, because she'd been practicing and told by friends she'd gotten pretty good at it. I was the fastest chugger back in college, and she wanted to see how she compared. We did a best of three. First race she won, second I won. We devised a solution for the 3rd to pick the definitive winner. Chug the beer, then say your name. She barely edged me out, but we agreed it was close enough to be considered a draw. I still contend it was because she has a one syllable name, whereas mine is two.

You lost to a girl?!?

The one running Windows 8 RT won't quite be there as a full replacement (which is the one at the 500 price point), the only desktop app it'll be able to run is the Microsoft Office suite, it'll be limited to Metro apps past that. But it will have word processing capabilities at least.

When they come out with the Surface Pro that will be much closer to a full laptop replacement, as it will be running a full version of Windows 8 that can actually run any other computer program the same as a laptop running W8 would. However, that's not going to be released until January or so, and the price is probs going to be much higher.

Of course, once the app market is built up a bit more the RT becomes a bit more attractive of an option at that price point.

The RT doesn't even have an internet/email client?

The RT doesn't even have an internet/email client?

Yeah, it does, but they are both modern/metro apps that run. The email one is actually pretty nice iirc. I think whatever is the latest iteration of IE is included by default as the app for that, but I'd hope there would be better third party options available at some point.

Think the only things that appear to run in a traditional desktop sense are the new Office, paint, and notepad on RT.

K?

Yeah, it does, but they are both modern/metro apps that run. The email one is actually pretty nice iirc. I think whatever is the latest iteration of IE is included by default as the app for that, but I'd hope there would be better third party options available at some point.

Think the only things that appear to run in a traditional desktop sense are the new Office, paint, and notepad on RT.

Also, the Office that runs on RT will have some functionality removed (like macros and third party add-ins).

Just started Disc 1 of Undeclared (Netflix), hoping for good things

I have an office job for the time being! Unfortunately I have a feeling it is going to get super repetitive.

I wish we had a Hooters/Tilted Kilt ambassador. Now that's something that we need here.

Peanut butter + soy sauce + siracha + ramen noodles = awesome poverty lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back