• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 77: It's inevitable, it's a fact that we're gonna get down to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flu shots are bullshit. Never gotten one.

No flu shot for this guy. Only flu I've ever had was the swine variety a few years ago, and I am pretty sure I know where I got it from.

Y'all should get the shots. You can be a carrier even if you aren't outwardly symptomatic, meaning you endanger the rest of the population by refusing to get vaccinated.

On top of that, the strains covered are based on predictions by health organizations of which are the most likely to be widespread and change every year.

Each year experts from the FDA, the World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other public health experts study influenza virus samples and global disease patterns to identify virus strains likely to cause the most illness during the upcoming flu season.

Based on that information and the recommendations of the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, the strains selected for inclusion in the 2012-2013 flu vaccines are:

A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like virus
A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2)-like virus
B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like virus.

While the H1N1 virus is the same as what was included in the 2011-2012 influenza vaccines, this year’s influenza H3N2 and B viruses differ from those in the 2011-2012 influenza vaccines.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm315365.htm

What I'm trying to say is that not getting vaccinated just makes you dangerous and a public health dick. Don't be a public health dick.

tumblr_mbta1hkytc1qbyecp.jpg

But if everyone who is worried about getting the flu goes and gets vaccinated, then my refusal to do so shouldn't have any affect on general public health.

Not everyone does. What matters isn't who's being smart and who's being foolish, only mitigating spread of a largely preventable and potentially dangerous disease.

Y'all should get the shots. You can be a carrier even if you aren't outwardly symptomatic, meaning you endanger the rest of the population by refusing to get vaccinated.

On top of that, the strains covered are based on predictions by health organizations of which are the most likely to be widespread and change every year.

What I'm trying to say is that not getting vaccinated just makes you dangerous and a public health dick. Don't be a public health dick.

aa-Big-Pharma-bottle-of-pills-labeled-Big-Pharma.jpg

Do me do me!

That's what she said.

Super Mung Bros.

We went bowling last night and the place had $2 PBR tallboys. Then we had a bet on the last game and the winner chose that we all had to do fuckin Bacardi shots.

Feels like Satan shat in my brain.

lol sorry brojangles

You've convinced me. I miss getting them free at the hospital. Can I get free shots somewhere? I don't know how where peeps get flu shots.

I'm a public health dick, but I know my CVS has flu shots. Likely pharmacies around you would have them as well. Or since you work near my house, go to the CVS at Cloverdale and get it there.

I'm a public health dick, but I know my CVS has flu shots. Likely pharmacies around you would have them as well. Or since you work near my house, go to the CVS at Cloverdale and get it there.

I just went to the Walgreens on Cloverdale.

If you have Blue Cross and want it covered by them then you'll need to wait until 2 o'clock when the pharmacist registered with BCBS is on duty fwiw.

If dkn and RTQ don't get one then it makes no sense for me to subject myself to it.

#publichealthdick

got my flu shot wednesday. everyone should go get theirs. srsly, if you have insurance it is free.

i have never had a flu shot and i have never had the flu. i even lived in the same room with a flu-ridden person for a week once and didn't get it. #fluresistent

We have been seeing a ton of flu like illness in the ER over the past 2 weeks (we don't typically do the lab test to prove you have flu though). I think it may be a bad season this year.

I'm not gonna
deadhorse.gif
but here's a little more info to hammer out my point about asymptomatic flu. My coworker has a 9 mo. baby. I can't imagine picking it up or playing with it, thinking I'm totally healthy, but actually giving it the illness.

PATHOGENESIS OF INFLUENZA
Influenza viruses infect the columnar epithelium lining the respiratory
tract and can cause infection in both the upper and
lower airways. The typical incubation period is 2 days, with a
range of 1–4 days [28]. Although primary infection in young
children is usually symptomatic, overall, ∼50% of influenza
infections may be asymptomatic. Nevertheless, infected persons
with few or no signs of illness may shed virus and, therefore,
be infectious to others
[29]. Infected persons can become contagious
(i.e., they can shed detectable amounts of influenza
virus) the day before symptoms begin. Adults usually shed virus
for ∼3–5 days [28, 30] whereas young children can shed virus
for up to 3 weeks [31–33]. Severely immunocompromised persons
have been reported to shed influenza virus for even longer
periods [34, 35].

http://home.smh.com/sections/services-procedures/medlib/Pandemic/Pan_Nursing/NLM_Bridges_14523774_043009.pdf

/offthesoapbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back