• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
My rock bottom from a kid financial standpoint was when I saved like $200 buying Kirkland formula and putting it in Similac containers to trick my wife

I actually tricked her which is a pretty hard task

Rock bottom or greatest achievement? Well done, sir.

That’s outstanding. Have you told her that one yet or is that gonna come out when the kid graduates top of their class. “By the way...”

plama is trolling and catamount is literally not capable of empathy is how I read it

Palma inadvertently opened a trolling gold mine for himself with a throwaway hot take and is taking full advantage of his hangover day.

When we were originally thinking about having kids we talked to some friends who had done both the nanny thing and the daycare thing. For 2 kids they did daycare at $4k/month but when kid 3 arrived they went Nanny for $90k/year. It was, um, distressing information.

My 1.5 year old son sleeps maybe 1-1.5 hours a day. Beyond that he's up from 7am to 8pm and never stops moving or wanting to play with and engage your attention/time. Similar to Cav, we had our kid enrolled in daycare scheduled to start in April of last year but it got shut down and we went the nanny route as a fill-in. It was roughly twice as expensive (or roughly as much as it might cost for a single kid in DC or two kids here, which plenty of parents pay for), but it worked so well we went with it because we weren't particularly comfortable with the risk of catching Coronavirus once daycares did start opening up and because she's amazing and our son loves her.

There are tons of reason to prefer a Daycare over Nanny and none of them have to do with cost, which is probably the main driver behind most people not going this route. Kid gets much better socialization at a Daycare (this is the primary reason we're switching in the fall). It's easier to find and compare daycares. It's easier to trust daycares (they require a certain level of accreditation). You don't have to open up your home to a stranger and keep it in a certain condition (meaning the morning routine now involves getting the kid ready AND making sure the house is ready to go). You don't have to deal with paying taxes as an employer etc. etc.

Rewinding a bit, I 100% kind of wish she wouldn't do the lunch thing (she also cleans up around the house during downtime and sometimes does laundry!). I never asked for it, but she genuinely loves to make people food and lets our kid watch and learn and get involved and it helps break up the day I guess. I've told her repeatedly I know how exhausting keeping up with our kid can be and I'd be totally fine if she wanted to nap in the guest room or watch tv or do whatever during his nap time, but she just likes staying active. One time I actually did just go ahead and start changing a poop diaper when I was downstairs and she was putting the finishing touches on lunch and I think she was legit upset at me for not letting her do it.

Don't let me distract you from your amazing troll tho here plama.

Shit my wife insisted we get the Kirkland brand.
My wife insisted we get Similac. Kirkland is 100% Similac formula and is packaged and labeled in the same factory as Similac, so I stashed Kirkland formula in the shed and constantly refilled the Similac container with Kirkland.

When we were originally thinking about having kids we talked to some friends who had done both the nanny thing and the daycare thing. For 2 kids they did daycare at $4k/month but when kid 3 arrived they went Nanny for $90k/year. It was, um, distressing information.

You think they would have spaced it out to get one of the first 2 kids in school! My co-worker in DC does a shared "nanny" with 2 other parents and they just rotate which house the kids are going to be at. Basically a mini-daycare sitch. Come to think of it, I have like 4 co-workers doing that now.

My wife insisted we get Similac. Kirkland is 100% Similac formula and is packaged and labeled in the same factory as Similac, so I stashed Kirkland formula in the shed and constantly refilled the Similac container with Kirkland.

God this is awesome. she is going to murder you though.

Man I’m glad we didn’t have a kid when living in DC. our daycare is $200/week and includes breakfast, lunch and snack daily. And the food is pretty high quality. They’re part of a larger boarding school so have a full kitchen staff.

You think they would have spaced it out to get one of the first 2 kids in school! My co-worker in DC does a shared "nanny" with 2 other parents and they just rotate which house the kids are going to be at. Basically a mini-daycare sitch. Come to think of it, I have like 4 co-workers doing that now.

Yeah it was an oops situation, not even a year apart on #3. Another couple does the shared nanny thing in Barracks Row. And they only have one kid, far more sensible. Also lmfao at the idea of two full time working parents just keeping a baby at home with no help if they have actual jobs they can't just pretend to do.

I think most folks who frequent the CT can find the time.

Sure, the costs are insane. Which is why if you're both working from home I'd imagine it'd make some sense to take advantage and save on the costs altogether. Don't babies sleep like 12 hours a day?

Not in a row dude.

Man I’m glad we didn’t have a kid when living in DC. our daycare is $200/week and includes breakfast, lunch and snack daily. And the food is pretty high quality. They’re part of a larger boarding school so have a full kitchen staff.

How do they even make money charging $800 month?

My landlord is selling my fucking house. His real estate agent (that whore) has convinced him he can get 3Milly for the house from Californian refugees. Now my ass isn’t going to have a lake house anymore. These are trying times.

God I hate California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back