• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ice cream cones shipped cross country seems snooty m. I have no idea why they’re not in every ice cream shop in the world. It’s been 10 years....

97aa750cd061622aaa6b499999087e95.jpg

Crossword must be whipping digg’s ass this morning

Switched to the iPad for today’s crossword and it really helped with my old man eyes and fat fingers.

Fucking lasik.

I had a consultation with a lasik surgeon who told me I was a great candidate. So I maxed out my FSA at the end of the year and went back about 6 months later to do it. Found out that surgeon had retired, and the new younger one did another round of testing and told me actually my prescription was too strong to get LASIK. They said they only had like a 60% chance of hitting 0 so there was a good chance I’d need glasses afterward. But I could get implantable contact lenses, which costs 3x more and isn’t nearly as well tested as lasik. I said no thank you.

I similarly thought about doing lasik but was told I would need reading glasses at 40 anyway so just skipped it.

I'm writing everyone a letter of recommendation. Except RJ. Fuck RJ.

Implantable contact lenses sounds terrifying. Anything eye related freaks me out.

Is the new terminator movie good? Because the 5yo is sick today and laid up watching Paw Patrol in her room, so I actually have some free time

What Texas lacks in serviceable cable and cell services, it sure makes up for in Breakfast Tacos. Because they are small and mostly egg and cheese, I don't feel bad getting two every morning, but I have a feeling those are the first few steps down the slippery slope to Two Ton Timmy.

The fact that I get them from a gas station down the road only adds to their appeal, today I went with the chorizo and the Texas (potato, ham egg and cheese).

Unfortunately, Texas has had a couple of scandals related to practices like that (mostly in admissions) for donors and those with political connections.

Not saying that's the case, but I do wonder how the dean of the law school knows about the professional aspirations of individual students.

Anyways, the closest I've come to this is conversations with colleagues at other schools about applicants and students. Everybody knows everybody. For people with influence (i.e. not me) I know for certain that admissions and appointments have been sorted in this way. Old boys club sometimes for sure

Now I am wondering if I was naive. I went to a much smaller law school than UT where the dean would know details about some students. Some students would end up with the dean as their advisor.

I do check out the Internet and social media for applicants. Nothing came across as this guy having money or political connections, but it is possible.

Ya but me and you shoot the shit on message boards, that’s much more personal than some dean.

(I’m in my second week on a new job and am not looking to move yet unless your salaries are outrageously high)

It is entry level, so I wouldn’t quit your new job.

struggling right now because I have a final round interview next week with much of the c-suite, including the CEO but I feel very good about my chances, and then trying to balance it with all of these projects I need to start on. I really need to get working on them because they will be a lot of work, and I don't want to get complacent because if I don't get that other job I'll be in trouble if I continue to put off my current work. but on a beautiful Friday morning, it's tough. the motivation just isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back