• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wal-Mart says new Yeezy logo too similar, sues Kanye -- what say you crossworders and good chatters?

6CWXDG6C7NGPBJP5ZQ34TEHWQM.JPG

Strong defense of where you live or where you grew up seems pretty meh to me.

yeah if you don't live there anymore you're kind of making the point for the opponent, which is that where you grew up sucks enough that you moved

I used to take the train from Charlottesville to DC and NYC, which was great.

Our favorite thing about Atlanta is how easy it is to leave. It’s tough to know if we actually like it here or not because our lives keep changing.

Moved to Atlanta, moved OTP, Had a baby, Bought a house, Covid.

Strong defense of a place, especially where you were born, seems like rube behavior. That’s why despite the fact your small town has turned into a boarded up shithole whit no jobs you refuse to move and defend it.

where i grew up is fine but super boring. Carlisle is a pleasant college town and thanks to the war college and the dumb Carlisle car show expo actually has quite a few thriving restaurants, breweries, and businesses; it's a nice downdown. a real Anytown, USA. my neighborhood is nice and walkable and the schools are good and COL is cheap.

but it's far from big cities and the beach; mountains are close, though.

i would not move here except under the circumstances that brought us back (employment and family)

i liked growing up in winston but have since lived in better cities

it might be a good place to raise a family and now has started to get some places to eat and drink, which is great, but i'm not in a rush to return

Where I grew up has a great beach and in the last decade or so has really revitalized its downtown but I have zero desire to live there

I love visiting my tourist town where I grew up but since I don’t want to work in the hospitality industry I would not want to move back full time.

i liked growing up in winston but have since lived in better cities

it might be a good place to raise a family and now has started to get some places to eat and drink, which is great, but i'm not in a rush to return

good point - what appeals to you as a single 25 year old is very different from a 38 year old with 2 kids

to be earnest for a minute

i don't relish the cost of raising kids in DC but i do like the idea that they can enjoy some of this country's finest museums/places of historical significance and parks and outdoor spaces in a diverse, beautiful, and progressive environment with good public transit, four seasons of weather, major sports teams, interesting global cuisine, etc. etc.

Since I grew up in Charlotte, I get to let others fight the battle for me on here.

yeah you might end up in the burbs but DC has a lot of good points. much more appealing than Atlanta, for example

I think some parents have a narrow-minded take on education when they base their housing decisions on local schools

often people end up in homogenous communities and kids get a good book education, but develop virtually none of the social skills required for interacting with people that are different than them or get to experience much outside a narrow band of society

then they go on one-week mission trips to Guatemala and it fixes everything

I think some parents have a narrow-minded take on education when they base their housing decisions on local schools

often people end up in homogenous communities and kids get a good book education, but develop virtually none of the social skills required for interacting with people that are different than them or get to experience much outside a narrow band of society

then they go on one-week mission trips to Guatemala and it fixes everything

I'd take that a step further to suggest that there are some who so value that homogenous community they design their children's experience so as to ensure their life path will, largely, protect them from experiences that would broaden their perspectives or challenge whatever the parents' orthodoxy is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back