• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: An Idiot Abroad: Spain or Italy or France !????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I probably misrepresented that we will both be having the talk with them, I'm just a little more capable of remaining rational and calm when the talk is taking place so I'll probably spearhead it lest she say something that gets us written out of the will.

Sounds like you learned your lesson from the RJKarl will debacle.

What did you tell Grandma and Grandpa though about teaching your kids things that were antithetical to the core beliefs you teach your kids?

This is not any help to you, but, I had it out with my parents years ago about religion. Like, didn't talk to them for almost a year in my mid 20's because they could not handle that I am no longer catholic. So they know that I am pretty ready to break off the relationship if they start fucking around in the core belief arena. Having had that experience it is not too hard for me to say, "Hey mom, we've got very different beliefs about homosexuality, abortion, etc, and if you bring any of that up with my kids it is going to cause some big problems between us, so it best to just stay away from that." It is also a lot easier because I see my parents about 3 time a year, but you guys have a lot more or a relationship.

This is not any help to you, but, I had it out with my parents years ago about religion. Like, didn't talk to them for almost a year in my mid 20's because they could not handle that I am no longer catholic. So they know that I am pretty ready to break off the relationship if they start fucking around in the core belief arena. Having had that experience it is not too hard for me to say, "Hey mom, we've got very different beliefs about homosexuality, abortion, etc, and if you bring any of that up with my kids it is going to cause some big problems between us, so it best to just stay away from that." It is also a lot easier because I see my parents about 3 time a year, but you guys have a lot more or a relationship.

Yeah, and it's compounded by the fact that outside of antiquated beliefs they're pretty good people and really good grandparents, and my side business and FIL's main business are pretty intertwined and it's a complex situation but I can't abide my MIL trying to counter the core beliefs that we're trying to instill into our kids on the DL, which is kinda what it seems like she's doing.

This is pretty similar to where I'm at with my parents and the kids at this point.

Had to have the convo with my mom recently when my son started talking incessantly about religion, jesus, dying and going to heaven. Her response was how am I supposed to answer him if I don't know what you are telling him...am I not obligated to tell him the truth (as in her truth)? We later found out he had some devout girl proselytizing at daycare which put the thoughts in his head, but it didnt stop her from affirming certain things based on her beliefs.

Pretty much told her she isn't as stupid as she wants us to believe she is and she certainly knows what is appropriate and not appropriate to talk to a 5 year old about. She doesn't need to know what we are telling him... If he asks her anything on the no talk list she is to refer him back to his parents. Its simple. Also reiterated she already had her chance to brainwash her own kids and it completely failed...now its our turn to get a crack. Stop trying to influence him with your own version of Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, God. Did ultimately need to leave her with the dreaded if we cant trust her to follow the protocol she cant be alone with the kids. Don't see how you can't throw that out there but you need to mean it. Also emphasized how imperative it is for her to communicate with us what he is asking so that when he pulls out the "grandma said" card my wife doesnt immediately drive over to her house to have it out.

Yeah, and it's compounded by the fact that outside of antiquated beliefs they're pretty good people and really good grandparents, and my side business and FIL's main business are pretty intertwined and it's a complex situation but I can't abide my MIL trying to counter the core beliefs that we're trying to instill into our kids on the DL, which is kinda what it seems like she's doing.

Even worse than just disrespecting your wishes/core beliefs as the parent would be if one or more of your kids is gay and end up feeling shame and stigma because grandma was “secretly” trying to “save” them.

I guess it depends on the phrasing, too. "Well this is what Grandpa and I believe, but it isn't what everyone believes" isn't a bad thing.

Even worse than just disrespecting your wishes/core beliefs as the parent would be if one or more of your kids is gay and end up feeling shame and stigma because grandma was “secretly” trying to “save” them.

Crazy the lbgtq suicide rate in teens is almost 5 times higher than straight teens, right?

Had to have the convo with my mom recently when my son started talking incessantly about religion, jesus, dying and going to heaven. Her response was how am I supposed to answer him if I don't know what you are telling him...am I not obligated to tell him the truth (as in her truth)? We later found out he had some devout girl proselytizing at daycare which put the thoughts in his head, but it didnt stop her from affirming certain things based on her beliefs.

Pretty much told her she isn't as stupid as she wants us to believe she is and she certainly knows what is appropriate and not appropriate to talk to a 5 year old about. She doesn't need to know what we are telling him... If he asks her anything on the no talk list she is to refer him back to his parents. Its simple. Also reiterated she already had her chance to brainwash her own kids and it completely failed...now its our turn to get a crack. Stop trying to influence him with your own version of Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, God. Did ultimately need to leave her with the dreaded if we cant trust her to follow the protocol she cant be alone with the kids. Don't see how you can't throw that out there but you need to mean it. Also emphasized how imperative it is for her to communicate with us what he is asking so that when he pulls out the "grandma said" card my wife doesnt immediately drive over to her house to have it out.

This is the weirdest RJ post ever.

She also tries to convince my daughter to eat her steaks well done instead of rare the way the kid actually prefers them, which is almost as much of a travesty imo.

Just compromise with the MIL and agree to teach them it’s just not ideal

Hey plama how's the ride back to LA going ? Are you making your Covid-ridden wife drive ?

Chat Thread: Timmy Monitoring the Situation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey plama how's the ride back to LA going ? Are you making your Covid-ridden wife drive ?

Assuming I don’t start feeling like shit we’re gonna give that two day drive a go starting tomorrow. Yesterday just sat in the room all day watching deacs shit the bed on the golf course and the Mavs shitting the bed vs the Warriors. Followed by some Mission Impossible: Fallout which has to be the most nonsensical movie ever made

Is she really sick/was the weather bad? Jackson is my favorite small/mountain town in America with so much to explore.

Assuming I don’t start feeling like shit we’re gonna give that two day drive a go starting tomorrow. Yesterday just sat in the room all day watching deacs shit the bed on the golf course and the Mavs shitting the bed vs the Warriors. Followed by some Mission Impossible: Fallout which has to be the most nonsensical movie ever made

congrats on the sex

Is she really sick/was the weather bad? Jackson is my favorite small/mountain town in America with so much to explore.

Not super sick but was feeling down. Jackson is great , but we had already been here 3 days , so the extra 3 days aren’t needed.

I think I have it now but just at such a low level it’s not registering on an antigen test. Minor coughing/sneezing, etc

My wife really wants to go to Corfu based almost entirely on the Jerry Durrell book "My Family and Other Animals" but I hear it has turned into the European Panama City Beach, basically a spring break beach party town and I expect she will be extremely disappointed.

Corfu SUCKED.

Santorini is very overrated but you kind of have to go once

Back