• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Autocracy !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of my signoffs alternate between "Thanks" and "Best" depending on the nature of the email.

If I'm requesting something, the "Thanks" is sort of "thanks in advance." If it's just giving an update or following up or some such, then "Best" I guess is a shortened version of "best regards."

here's one that appears to be an actual rip off of Fallingwater:

SGNjdPi.jpg

Isn't this the house from Deux Machina?

A dude I used to correspond with on email used to sign his emails with "Cheers" and I always used to think that was stupid. I mean, I still remember that he did this like 6 years later.

As far as I can tell every signoff is considered stupid from some people. Good evidence gathering phase all.

I don't understand signing off on an email. I just put my name. If I've asked them to do something, then it's "Thanks, [Me]." The end.

I don't understand signing off on an email. I just put my name. If I've asked them to do something, then it's "Thanks, [Me]." The end.

two questions: 1. do you have an auto signature on any of your email accounts (like a name/business/phone/etc)

2. so if you send an email to someone you're not friends with (a professional email) for the first time you just put your name at the end?

I have a signature block with my name and contact info. I usually take that off for internal emails or in the midst of an email chain on which I've already responded. Otherwise, yes, my emails end in simply my name and/or signature block. No "cheers" or "ciao" or "bestest regards."

Oh man, I have a colleague that signs off "Obliged". I always thought that one was particularly douchey. and hilarious.

I change it up every time, but I frequently go with "Many thanks". Unless I started off the email that way. I keep things fresh.

"thanks," if I've asked for something
"regards," if it's to a higher-up
"-Leebs" or just "Leebs" if it's to a peer/more informal

might also throw out a "Please be in touch if there is any additional information I can provide," depending on the nature of things.

Always use initials in emails to students. First name the rest of the time. If it is a cold-email I'll put my first and last name in the first or second sentence and still sign it with my first name.

And definitely 95% of the time still sign it even though I have a three- or four-line professional signature.

Oh man, I have a colleague that signs off "Obliged". I always thought that one was particularly douchey. and hilarious.

I change it up every time, but I frequently go with "Many thanks". Unless I started off the email that way. I keep things fresh.

I used to do Many thanks a lot at my old job since my boss used it all the time I guess it rubbed off on me

Some department coordinator signed an email to our entire cancer center "Energetically yours,"

The hell is that?

nothing like signing off on late-20th century correspondence with late 19th century language

If I get a "sincerely" then I automatically assume I'm emailing with a serial killer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back