• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told my wife early on that my biggest concern was that we were going to do all the right things and quarantine and everybody else was going to screw it up and we would be stuck at home forever.

We are making our first outing just the two of us next weekend to go shoot clays which should be pretty socially distanced. I’m sure we will get plenty of looks going I to the clubhouse to pay.

English teacher question. What was your favorite book that you were assigned in high school? Least favorite?

Is it bad that I don't really remember many books from HS? I think we read To Kill A Mockingbird in 9th grade and maybe Of Mice and Men too.

Don't really remember a book I disliked because I would just find some cliff notes (paper copy) or do some early internet research if I had to.

English teacher question. What was your favorite book that you were assigned in high school? Least favorite?

The Great Gatsby was my favorite.

Least favorite was The Awakening. Didn’t even finish it. I remember thinking “Just kill yourself.” Imagine my surprise when it came time for the test.

The Great Gatsby was my favorite.

Least favorite was The Awakening. Didn’t even finish it. I remember thinking “Just kill yourself.” Imagine my surprise when it came time for the test.

Woah totally blanked on Gatsby. That was my favorite too. Wasn't sure if we read it in MS or HS though.

The Yellow Wallpaper was pretty sweet. I liked Poe too. Not sure about full-length novels; feels like we mostly read poetry and short fiction in HS.

I honestly don't remember off the top of my head all of the books I read in HS. I remember liking The Chosen and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. I remember HATING Heart of Darkness and Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Not English class, but I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for my AP physics class and remember thinking it was interesting. But that's just what I remember, I couldn't really tell you much about any of these books at this point.

I was honors and AP English.

Enjoyed:
Catcher in the Rye
The Great Gatsby
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
I liked The Last of the Mohicans but my classmates and teacher kind of panned it.

Really didn't enjoy:
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
All The King's Men

High five to wfudkn for Ivan Denisovich and Tess.

giphy.gif

Didn't read Catcher in the Rye until I was 24 and holy shit is Holden Caulfield the most insufferable character in modern literature. I wanted him to get stabbed in the street and die.

Tess definitely sucked. It was like a million pages long, and she had a baby, named it Sorrow, and it died, and that all happened in like a page.

Props to your teacher for letting you read some Solzhenitsyn in high school though.

Figured there would be more love for Of Mice and Men.

Reading Ethan Frome and The Things They Carried in high school probably caused me to do what I'm doing today. Still love those books.

Least favorite: Jane Eyre, Madam Bovary

Favorite: probably Farewell to Arms

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

That was one of my favorites, for sure. Have read it a few times since then. Nice and short, too.

There were a few that I hated and couldn't get through... Thanks to CliffsNotes for getting me through. Can't remember any of the ones I really hated off the top of my head.

The Yellow Wallpaper was pretty sweet. I liked Poe too. Not sure about full-length novels; feels like we mostly read poetry and short fiction in HS.

Yeah that's what I was thinking (Townie and I went to the same HS, one year apart) 9th grade was Gatsby, Hummingbird, and some Steinbeck. But after that it was shorter stories and poetry. 12th grade was a lot of Shakesphere.

That being said I never took AP English, just honors each year. But I did take Sophomore Seminar with Giles and Burke where we read Gilgamesh, Beowulf and other stuff like that.

Saved my APs for Social Studies and Psychology, so I could dominate. This was also back when the kids who took 4-5 APs each year went to Ivy league schools. Today APs are so watered down that they are equivalent to early 00's honor classes.

I didn't read anything in high school, all SparkNotes

didn't catch the reading bug til senior year at Wake

book that I remember that hit hard in high school was Raisin in the Sun freshman year

pretty sure I didn't read her til college, but I loathe Jane Austen novels

Yeah, I feel like high school English courses do a lot to turn off students when they force kids to read more than one book from the Victorian era. I'm not saying they're not great books or that they're unimportant or not applicable to today; just that they're often long, somewhat boring in parts, and difficult to read.

Favorite: gonna go with Crime and Punishment from AP. First 80 pages were a slog but the rest blew me away. Honorable mention to Sister Carrie.

Least favorite: Great Expectations from 9th grade. I gave up trying about a quarter of the way through. It was the last book of the school year so there was a lot about it on our final exam. For one of the essay questions (something along the lines of "What evidence is there for _____?) I literally answered "It says so on the back cover." I got a C for the semester.

Yeah I'd go on to major in English and read fiendishly in post-academic life for fun (and part of my job), but I wasn't enthusiastic generally about the high school lit curriculum.

10th grade was world lit and it was just back to back to back depressing books: Night, Things Fall Apart, etc.

shouts out to Prof Dodman at Wake who got me into reading again -- good dude but don't think they gave him tenure

10th grade was world lit and it was just back to back to back depressing books: Night, Things Fall Apart, etc.

shouts out to Prof Dodman at Wake who got me into reading again -- good dude but don't think they gave him tenure

Everyone hates teaching sophomores. Lit is depressing. Eoc tested grade. I try to spice it up with some Kafka, Camus, Borges and Marquez but it’s still awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back