• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, that looks like a sweet reading list. I feel like high schoolers can relate to Kafka and Camus. Also throw in Night Sea Journey and see who gets it and giggles.

Things Fall Apart is probably the single most depressing book I've read -- I re-read a few years back and man

A Farewell To Arms was great

Heart of Darkness sucked (and still sucks)

Dickens is always good

A Separate Peace was dreadful although it's possible that i was/am just a shallow dickhead

Sound and the Fury was the HS book that got me

The Awakening was my least favorite HS read

my favorite HS lit thing was Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead, the teacher who assigned that was dope as hell

I can't remember if Cat's Cradle was HS or early college for me but either way that book rocks

Things Fall Apart is probably the single most depressing book I've read -- I re-read a few years back and man

Tough to pick one favorite but “Things Fall Apart” was easily my least favorite HS reading assignment.

English teacher question. What was your favorite book that you were assigned in high school? Least favorite?

Best: Night by Eli Weisel. Lots of growth reading this book. Empathy, wiring perspective, understanding humans.

Least favorite was probably Heart of Darkness.

I honestly don't remember off the top of my head all of the books I read in HS. I remember liking The Chosen and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. I remember HATING Heart of Darkness and Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Not English class, but I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for my AP physics class and remember thinking it was interesting. But that's just what I remember, I couldn't really tell you much about any of these books at this point.

I have no idea how/why Heart of Darkness is considered "good."

I was honors and AP English.

Enjoyed:
Catcher in the Rye
The Great Gatsby
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
I liked The Last of the Mohicans but my classmates and teacher kind of panned it.

Really didn't enjoy:
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
All The King's Men

Catcher in the Rye is the second worst HS book and it's a close run for first. People who like the writing or empathize with the main character in Catcher in the Rye have almost universally never worked a real day in their lives. The book should be renamed, "rich white people problems and why rich white people suck and Knight will fucking fight them just to give them a taste of having their ass kicked for once in their lives." Fucking terrible book.

Do states/school systems dictate what books students read in English class, or is it somewhat or completely up to the teacher?

Catcher in the Rye is the second worst HS book and it's a close run for first. People who like the writing or empathize with the main character in Catcher in the Rye have almost universally never worked a real day in their lives. The book should be renamed, "rich white people problems and why rich white people suck and Knight will fucking fight them just to give them a taste of having their ass kicked for once in their lives." Fucking terrible book.

Awful take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back