• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Be better than the Gap, guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea of trying to teach high schoolers incredibly complex systems like the Chris Wilder center back attack or the Bielsa/Klopp gegenpress or whatever. I'm sure the same holes that small moneyball clubs exploit in big leagues work with less talented low level teams as well (set pieces, counterpressing, long throws, etc.). Here for it, Brasky.

lol was just about to say Brasky gonna go full out man-marking press and run the hell out of a 13-man roster

Nice man I was the "assistant" coach at both middle schools I taught at but because I knew far more about the game both coaches let me run the games.

I'm actually really excited about getting to start this thing from the ground floor, I want to be tactically flexible but at the same time I'm full committed to play Bielsa ball. Off season conditioning will be mandatory. We will run our opponents into the ground.

Dood, so exciting. What a super fun opportunity.

Nice man I was the "assistant" coach at both middle schools I taught at but because I knew far more about the game both coaches let me run the games.

I'm actually really excited about getting to start this thing from the ground floor, I want to be tactically flexible but at the same time I'm full committed to play Bielsa ball. Off season conditioning will be mandatory. We will run our opponents into the ground.

If I can offer any advice, especially at the 1a level, it will be to swallow your pride, avoid a flat backline and find a damn good sweeper. HS linesmen are fucking ungodly bad at getting offsides right, and it's difficult to keep your kids organized back there. A blown call, which will inevitably happen almost every game, can determine a lot of outcomes.

It's overly simplistic, but I always ran a 4-4-2 double diamond and emphasized speed from my outside backs on overlapping runs. Our team leader in assists were often my right fullbacks. I had high expectations for the workrate of my outside mids, and subbed them pretty liberally.

Soccer is the best high school sport to coach in rural areas. Community rarely knows anything about it, so nobody questions what you're doing, and (generalization incoming) Latino players and parents are generally more appreciative, more respectful, and harder working(I'm aware of the stereotype) than your wealthy white club players.

Bruh, tap that ESL class for ass. coach talent. Then have the local hispanic soccer clubs scrimmage your boys from time to time (they will wreck butts so hard).

Based on the poster, I first read this as:

Bruh, tap that ESL class for ass.
coach talent.
Then have the local hispanic soccer clubs scrimmage your boys from time to time.
They will wreck their butts so hard.

So it appears that I am about to restart the soccer program at the 1-A high school I teach at. The school is located in an area highly populated by latinos, but we lose a lot of the local kids to bigger high schools because we do not have a soccer program. We also house the county's ESL program, where recent immigrants come for their first year of public school. And as magnet school we can keep those kids if we provide transportation.

Gonna start with a 1 or 2x week club this spring if COVID permits, and then roll out a JV team in the fall. Give me like 5 years and I'm gonna get my first state title.

I won NC state soccer title (4-A) my junior year. It was dope. Lost in the championship game my senior year. Less dope.

I love the idea of trying to teach high schoolers incredibly complex systems like the Chris Wilder center back attack or the Bielsa/Klopp gegenpress or whatever. I'm sure the same holes that small moneyball clubs exploit in big leagues work with less talented low level teams as well (set pieces, counterpressing, long throws, etc.). Here for it, Brasky.

Oh man, I forgot, if you have a kid with a long throw on this narrow high school fields and some height to go up and get it, it's an absolute game changer. The game that sent us to the final four of the state was won off of a long throw set piece, and we were out possessed 70-30 probably.

Fuck Lake Norman Charter, btw.

If I can offer any advice, especially at the 1a level, it will be to swallow your pride, avoid a flat backline and find a damn good sweeper. HS linesmen are fucking ungodly bad at getting offsides right, and it's difficult to keep your kids organized back there. A blown call, which will inevitably happen almost every game, can determine a lot of outcomes.

It's overly simplistic, but I always ran a 4-4-2 double diamond and emphasized speed from my outside backs on overlapping runs. Our team leader in assists were often my right fullbacks. I had high expectations for the workrate of my outside mids, and subbed them pretty liberally.

Soccer is the best high school sport to coach in rural areas. Community rarely knows anything about it, so nobody questions what you're doing, and (generalization incoming) Latino players and parents are generally more appreciative, more respectful, and harder working(I'm aware of the stereotype) than your wealthy white club players.

As someone who refereed MS and HS soccer last year I understand. Playing with a true high line is suicide, particularly at the JV level. Obviously this will depend on the players, but I'd ideally like to play a 5-2-3/3-4-3 with a quick sweeper (usually your best non-attacking player), two CBs who can carry the ball and act as third MF in possession, two wingbacks who are gut busters and run constantly, two box-to-box CMs, and then a front 3 who interchange.

Definitely going to emphasize set pieces, long throw-ins and other set piece shenanigans. We won't be a true "gegenpress' but we will definitely pressure the ball from every position on the pitch. The goal would be to assign each player a position group and have them learn the responsibilities of the 2-3 positions they could play in. The tactic would be symmetrical so you would act similarly regardless of which side of the field you were on, making it easier to understand. Of course this relies on having 15+ decent players.

Oh and we really need a good keeper. Might see if I can recruit some young basketball players, our school did win the state title last year.

Last edited:
As someone who refereed MS and HS soccer last year I understand. Playing with a true high line is suicide, particularly at the JV level. Obviously this will depend on the players, but I'd ideally like to play a 5-2-3/3-4-3 with a quick sweeper (usually your best non-attacking player), two CBs who can carry the ball and act as third MF in possession, two wingbacks who are gut busters and run constantly, two box-to-box CMs, and then a front 3 who interchange.

Definitely going to emphasize set pieces, long throw-ins and other set piece shenanigans. We won't be a true "gegenpress' but we will definitely pressure the ball from every position on the pitch. The goal would be to assign each player a position group and have them learn the responsibilities of the 2-3 positions they could play in. The tactic would be symmetrical so you would act similarly regardless of which side of the field you were on, making it easier to understand. Of course this relies on having 15+ decent players.

Oh and we really need a good keeper. Might see if I can recruit some young basketball players, our school did win the state title last year.

Dude, if you're where I think you are, you should probably just raid the surrounding area for soccer talent the way your basketball team does.

so you really need like a mascherano/carvalho type to recycle play and fall back into the halfback position too then

gl gl

seller supposedly completed repairs - big thing was a new furnace (cracked heat exchanger) - the board's youngest poster is about to be a homeowner

I will be looking for film room assistants eventually if anyone is interested. I'm happy to crowdsource tape breakdown.

i have over 10 hours logged in football manager so naturally let me know

Dude, if you're where I think you are, you should probably just raid the surrounding area for soccer talent the way your basketball team does.

That is exactly my plan - although not speaking Spanish that well is going to be an issue.

However our basketball coach left for a charter school, so I don’t think our bball team will be that good going forward.

That is exactly my plan - although not speaking Spanish that well is going to be an issue.

However our basketball coach left for a charter school, so I don’t think our bball team will be that good going forward.

You're gonna be hella popular with the surrounding coaches.

The coaches in your conference are pretty good dudes. I used to play a lot of mutual teams in non-conference stuff, so I can tell you a little about what to expect from each coach and program if you like. You'd probably prefer that in PM though I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back