• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: BIFF IS STEALING THE CHAT THREAD !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn missed the hot NC city/town chat because I was writing college letters of recommendation for a few of my students #humblebrag #greatguy

That being said, I wanted Raleigh to be cool when we moved there 4 years ago, but man did it underwhelm. Maybe its because I was coming from Austin and my wife from NYC, but we could just never get into Raleighwood. The downtown area is pretty meh and none of the other neighborhoods are that cool. And North Hills which we lived near, is a real suck. Durham was way more dope.

Rankings of Top 12 populated NC cities (Asheville is 12th)

1. Asheville - not for everyone, but the best for a lot of categories, people are chill
2. Durham - sneaky cool, bars/restaurant scene is great, downtown is walkable and compact
3. Winston - duh
4. Charlotte - higher than when I lived there, less cookie cutter and more diverse - downtown still sucks though and the rust belt transplants and their sports teams are woof
5. Raleigh - see above
6. Wilmington - beaches are cool but the city itself is underwhelming
7. Greenville - getting into ECU gamedays might be alright, college towns generally cool
8. Cary - they have one brewery I liked, the rest is suburban death - close to three other cities
9. Greensboro - downtown lame, best "spots" all located in shopping centers
10. Concord - NASCAR is a thing and nearby Charlotte is #5
11. High Point - furniture!
12. Fayetteville - if you like golf its sort of near but you'll probably get murdered

Last edited:
I like Raleigh a lot more now that my parents live in a walkable neighborhood near downtown

walkability is something I prioritize highly and no NC city has it outside of a few pockets

I could honestly probably better rank Ohio cities than NC cities at this point

we love Asheville but feel a yearning for Winston whenever we visit. also, for my chosen field there aren't a lot of jobs out there around here, but more opportunities in Winston. there's a lot of manufacturing here, but not with the office structure as like mine does (HQ for the Americas is here). I've sort of topped out at my job, and the only real advancement would be in Europe but idk if that opportunity would come up and if we'd want to take it.

we will probably look at moving to W-S in the next few years if things get more "normal."

I like Raleigh a lot more now that my parents live in a walkable neighborhood near downtown

walkability is something I prioritize highly and no NC city has it outside of a few pockets

That’s because walkability is a euphemism for crowded

I would rate Asheville high for Nine Mile alone. gd I love that restaurant.

Walkability is limited to the really expensive areas of Raleigh. You live anywhere where your house is less than $600K then the only thing you can walk to is other houses or your local strip mall. The older houses behind North Hills are the exception, and we rented a house on the other side of that neighborhood, but once you've been to North Hills three times you've seen it all. And even if you live in Glenwood or Mordecai or wherever near downtown its not like there's that much going on when you get there.

Raleigh real estate was just way too expensive for what the city was offering. Similar prices to Austin but like 40% as cool. One thing I do miss though is good concerts, Walnut Creek sucked but if you could find a show you liked at Red Hat or Lincoln Theatre it was a good time.

I’d put Carrboro/Chapel Hill over Cary and Greensboro, not sure they fall in the city category though.

Walkability is limited to the really expensive areas of Raleigh. You live anywhere where your house is less than $600K then the only thing you can walk to is other houses or your local strip mall. The older houses behind North Hills are the exception, and we rented a house on the other side of that neighborhood, but once you've been to North Hills three times you've seen it all. And even if you live in Glenwood or Mordecai or wherever near downtown its not like there's that much going on when you get there.

Raleigh real estate was just way too expensive for what the city was offering. Similar prices to Austin but like 40% as cool. One thing I do miss though is good concerts, Walnut Creek sucked but if you could find a show you liked at Red Hat or Lincoln Theatre it was a good time.

What's the best small venue in NC for music? Cat's Cradle? The Orange Peel? Neighborhood?

yeah, like I said, only available in pockets in NC cities

someone opened a package on my porch and stole my new slippers right out of em

cities!

We can discuss Chapel Hill and Carrboro in our NC cities/town by population #13-25 rankings, which will be released next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back